Worst interchange on each interstate

Started by ParrDa, September 05, 2017, 08:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

What do you think is the worst interchange, as far as design, traffic flow, and congestion, on each interstate?

If you pick a 2di please specify a state to keep it manageable. That said I am mostly looking for 3di's.
Also, junctions of two interstates aren't allowed. Those are cop outs  :D

Bickendan

Quote from: ParrDa on September 05, 2017, 08:50:34 PM
If you pick a 2di please specify a state to keep it manageable. That said I am mostly looking for 3di's.
Fine, fine. I-5 in Oregon's is at US 30 then.

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

TheOneKEA

The I-95/MD 24 interchange east of Bel Air is currently a mess due to the lane drop on I-95 north, causing hordes of traffic to back up all the way to the MD 152 interchange three miles to the south. The interchange was actually made worse by a less than optimal insertion of an extra bridge in between the original MD 24 bridges for through traffic on MD 24 west, which causes traffic to MD 924 to hold up traffic to MD 24 on I-95 north.

The I-70/I-695 interchange in Woodlawn is an even bigger mess. Unless something is going to happen on I-70 in the city, keeping this interchange in its current form merely exacerbates the massive weaving problems and lengthy backups of traffic trying to merge to I-695 north (Inner Loop).

RobbieL2415

I'm going with I-95/I-295/I-495, Wilmington, DE.  This thing always backs up for beach/vacation traffic and I assume rush hour.   t's a left merge for you if you're coming off the Del. Mem. Bridge, which sucks when you consider up to half the traffic coming from that ramp probably wants to use DE 1.  There also is no direct access to I-295 from I-95 S.  So I would say move the ramp from I-295 S to the right side of I-95 S, re-align I-95 N so its in line with the Christina River crossing and give I-295 3 lanes thru to the DMB.  2 lanes thru to I-495 N via the old I-95 ROW.

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: Bickendan on September 05, 2017, 08:58:21 PM
US-30/I-405 or US-30/I-84?  :D
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

OracleUsr

On I-40 in NC, since you can't count I-26/I-240 or Bus I-85S from I-40E, I would have to say the Business Loop I-40E exit onto US 52N

Second might be the DDI at US 21, especially taking I-40W to US 21S.  What genius thought not putting a light for that turn should turn in their road design license
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

KEVIN_224

Perhaps I-91 North to the Charter Oak Bridge (US 5/CT 15) in Hartford. It's a one lane ramp up on a steep incline. It's backed up onto mainline I-91 almost constantly. It doesn't help that US 5/CT 15 weaves with I-91 immediately south of here.

Bickendan

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on September 06, 2017, 01:31:58 AM
Quote from: Bickendan on September 05, 2017, 08:58:21 PM
US-30/I-405 or US-30/I-84?  :D
I-84... but that narrows the field, doesn't it? :bigass:
Although, Rose Quarter-Broadway/Weidler would also qualify for I-5/US 30 and is nearly just as bad as I-5/I-84.

I-405's is at US 26.
I-205's is the Abernathy Bridge (OR 43 and OR 99E)

jeffandnicole

I-295/I-76/NJ 42:  This qualifies for both 76 and 295 in NJ!

I-195:  Probably Exit 6 for the NJ Turnpike, due to heavy traffic and a 15 mph ramp speed for the NJ Turnpike to I-195 West movement.

ekt8750

I-76/I-676 in both directions. WB 676 merges onto WB 76 from the left but not before a lane drop in the middle of the ramp that causes bottlenecks at all times of the day. EB 76 to EB 676 is equally as bad because any issue on 676 will cause a backup that spills back into 76.

Ned Weasel

I-35 in Kansas: Exit 227 for 75th Street.  Although the northbound bottleneck has been alleviated by removing the weaving in advance of 75th Street, the southbound bottleneck still persists due to the lane drop, and traffic can be slow there well outside of rush hour.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Ned Weasel

"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Jmiles32

I-95 in Virginia: Exit 160(VA-123) no contest. Every day during the afternoon rush hour, the lane drop on southbound I-95 from 4 to 3 lanes, along with traffic merging in from Exit 161(US-1), usually gets traffic backed up all the way to Exit 166(Fairfax County Parkway) and sometimes even to the Springfield Interchange. 

I-66: This one is a bit harder. Right now an argument could probably be made for either Exit 53(VA-28), Exit 62(Nutley Street), or even Exit 57(US-50). However, all of these interchanges will be either modified or completely rebuilt as part of the I-66 Express Lanes project. After that wraps up in 2022, I think the new honor might go to Exit 55(Fairfax County Parkway).
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: stridentweasel on September 06, 2017, 05:14:40 PM
But that's a junction of two interstates!

In that case, I-70 at US 30 in Breezewood. Cannot get anything worse than an intersection with traffic lights :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jp the roadgeek

Eastern I-84:  For exit ramps, a tie between Exits 19 and 33 westbound in CT.  The first is an extremely sharp curved left hand exit, while the latter involves dangerous weaving of cars trying to get from I-84 West to CT 72 West and vice versa.  Entrance ramp has to be from I-684 North to I-84 East in Brewster, NY.  Seemingly harmless curve becomes deceptively sharp in a very short amount of time.  Those not familiar with it could end up going perpendicular to I-84 eastbound traffic.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

I-395 in Virginia: Duke Street (VA-236) on the southbound side of 395. That side is a cloverleaf with no C/D road, a sharp curve on the entry ramp that slows traffic, and a lane drop on mainline 395 just before the weave area. All-around bad scene. The next interchange south, Edsall Road, has a similar design with a sharper loop ramp but no lane drop plus seemingly less overall entering traffic (that may be wrong, but it feels like less traffic), so it never seems quite as bad. The Duke Street interchange used to be even worse except the Landmark Mall nearby has closed down except for Sears.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

paulthemapguy

I-80 in Illinois:  The exit at route 53.  Four cloverleafs and two exterior ramps.  Weave issues everywhere, tight cloverleaf ramps, crumbling infrastructure, and an extremely high volume of trucks due to the intermodal facilities nearby.  Desperately needs a rebuild and a reconfiguration.

I-74 in Illinois:  The interchange at I-80.  It's a classic cloverleaf, except that both I-74 and I-80 turn onto a different freeway.  Going straight through the interchange puts you on a different interstate.  Definitely needs to be reconfigured.

I-180 in Wyoming:  The interchange at I-80 (it's the only interchange  :spin: :spin: :spin: )

And, to set the record straight:

I-70 in Pennsylvania:  Breezewood.
I-76 in Pennsylvania:  Fucking Breezewood.  It can count for both of them  :-D
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

lepidopteran

I-495 in MD:  Route 450.  The interchange as a whole is too close to the US-50 interchange, causing weaving patterns.  The SB on-ramp is a tight loop-curve with a short acceleration lane, almost requiring right-lane traffic to slow down.  (To be fair, a second SB exit loop-ramp was eliminated some years ago.)  The NB on-ramp to 450 EB leads right into a traffic signal on the main road, which, during rush hour, often backs up on to the highway. (I once saw a sign near there describing a study for improvement.)  And in addition to everything else, the bridge over 450 and a steep one right after have those uneven, open joints at every pier, along with a patched pothole or two.  Finally, all this is on what's signed as mainline I-95, so even if locals know to slow somewhat for the conditions, the out-of-state motorists do not.

jakeroot

sparker

On I-280 in the greater San Jose area:  the Lawrence Expressway exit.  NB (actually west) it doesn't take you to the destination street, which runs N-S, the ramp crosses Stevens Creek Blvd. (E-W; I-280 is diagonal SE>NW at that point) after a blind curve that includes an off-ramp from Lawrence (which also crosses Stevens Creek on an overpass).  Lots of ways to go: but first you've got to contend with Lawrence to EB Stevens Creek traffic, which is trying to merge with you as well as move all the way to the right in about 100 yards or so.  To get to Lawrence north (major morning commute direction to a lot of tech firms) you have to cross Stevens Creek at grade; the signal generally only lets 3-4 cars through at a time, which backs up the exit onto 280.  To get to Lawrence SB, one needs to make a left on Stevens Creek, pass under both Lawrence Expressway and 280, them make a left on a 135-degree backward angle, which puts you onto a one-way freeway-side road back to Lawrence, where you merge onto the 6-lane expressway just before a signaled cross street; that ramp backs up as well -- since it also handles SB 280 to SB Lawrence traffic, which itself has to cross Stevens Creek at signaled grade.  SB 280 to NB Lawrence (again, a commute route): left onto Stevens Creek, under 280 & Lawrence, and left on Lawrence.  The only on-ramp to 280 north (west) is on Stevens Creek west of the Lawrence off-ramp; it simply peels off Stevens Creek.  The sole saving grace of the interchange is a direct signaled left turn from Lawrence onto SB 280.  If you're now confused by all this, imagine someone trying to negotiate it for the first time!  And it'll get worse -- the new Apple HQ "campus" is just north of 280 and west of Lawrence (actually between Lawrence and the next exit, Wolfe Road; a lot of Apple folks will be using the Lawrence exit to access the employee parking lots. 

Takumi

I-85 in Virginia: heading the "opposite" direction to/from I-95. Northbound 95 to southbound 85 has a tight loop that occasionally sees trucks tip over, while northbound 85 to southbound 95 has a near-blind merge. Same-direction movements are much more straightforward.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bzakharin

In NJ:
I-76: Southern terminus. Going Eastbound, the large number of lanes, often jammed makes it very hard to get your direction of I-295 if you don't know in advance which one is the left exit and which one the right exit. Going west, depending on which entrance you use, you may have to weave to not end up on I-676 (or to end up on 676 if that's where you need to be).

I-280: Exit 13 Eastbound where the left three lanes lead to local streets requiring all traffic staying on 280 to merge into two lanes which just entered the highway at the previous entrance.

I-95: Just west of the George Washington Bridge. Going North, you have to figure out express, local, upper level, lower level, and the merging eastern and western spurs. Going south, all of the above plus not accidentally ending up on I-80. Also, the Exit 10 almost circle to enter I-287.

I-295: The I-76/NJ 42 interchange hands down, thru/lanes ending/exiting, sharp curve, etc, though it's mostly going away.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 06, 2017, 10:38:46 PM
I-80 in Illinois:  The exit at route 53.  Four cloverleafs and two exterior ramps.  Weave issues everywhere, tight cloverleaf ramps, crumbling infrastructure, and an extremely high volume of trucks due to the intermodal facilities nearby.  Desperately needs a rebuild and a reconfiguration.

I-74 in Illinois:  The interchange at I-80.  It's a classic cloverleaf, except that both I-74 and I-80 turn onto a different freeway.  Going straight through the interchange puts you on a different interstate.  Definitely needs to be reconfigured.

I-180 in Wyoming:  The interchange at I-80 (it's the only interchange  :spin: :spin: :spin: )

And, to set the record straight:

I-70 in Pennsylvania:  Breezewood.
I-76 in Pennsylvania:  Fucking Breezewood.  It can count for both of them  :-D

Only I-80 in IL and I-70 in PA (I already mentioned the latter) are valid, as the others are junctions of two interstates. Actually the worst interchange along I-180 in WY is any interchange intersection along it apart from the I-80 one, at the same level of I-70 at US 30 in Breezewood.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.