News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Louisiana meet--March 17 & 18, 2018

Started by cjk374, October 19, 2017, 09:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

A big THANK YOU to all who attended this meet yesterday!! I hope everyone had as much fun as I did. We had our interesting moments...a horse at I-220/I-49, Vivian, LA's Redbud Festival traffic jam from hell just to name a couple. Pictures will be posted in this thread soon.

Just to give an early heads up...I am already thinking about doing another LA road meet. This time it will be in central LA (affectionately known in these parts as "cenla"), say maybe in March 2020?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

signalman

I had a good time and it was great meeting everyone.  Thanks for hosting, Jess.  I'm getting ready to depart Bossier City after a good night's sleep and big breakfast.  I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures since I forgot to pack my camera like a dumbass.  :banghead:

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

oscar

Here are my two group photos.

The first one is at the TX-AR-LA tripoint marker. We grouped together on the left the people wearing their favorite route markers.

From left to right: Oscar (wearing the AK 11 route marker), A.J. (M-22), David (US 71), Jess (meet host), Sam, Jason, Brian, Josh, Patrick, Bill, Scott, Brandon.

The other is at the nearby border marker on the TX-LA boundary.

I think Josh came from the most distant place. I hope he and the others from the Northeast don't have much trouble with the snow headed our way (in my area, up to 3").
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

signalman

Bill is my name.  For editing and future reference

Brandon

Yes, absolutely thank you, Jess.  I'm looking forward to the Alexandria meet.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jpi

Same here, Steph and I had a nice time and got home last night fine, thanks for hosting! :D
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

Sam and I made it home safely to West Michigan this afternoon. Thank you so much, Jess, for hosting this meet! I had a great time and will absolutely consider Alexandria in 2020 if you end up hosting that. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

cl94

As of half an hour ago, I finally completed the 2,000+ mile drive home to Albany. EXCELLENT meet and I'm looking forward to a future Alexandria meet as well (though I won't be so ambitious with my route).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

TheHighwayMan3561

I'm still out on the road for another couple days. In Nashville tonight but will make significant progress toward home tomorrow. I do have plans in southern Wisconsin Thursday into Friday.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US71

I was going to spend a couple days around Alexandria and Baton Rouge, but the weather looked dicey so I opted for Ruston to Pine Bluff.  I clinched US 63 in Arkansas (and Louisiana), but north of El Dorado it seemed rather bland. I hit PB just before sunset and ran into some storms so opted to stop for the night.

I liked the signs on  US 167 north of Ruston: Keep Right Except To Pass Or Turn. I wondered for a moment if that meant I had to make all my turns from the Left Lane.  ;)

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SSOWorld

And that's a wrap.

Made it home today after an overnight sightseeing and driving around DFW before finishing off the Interstates of Arkansas and Missouri (nothing like being in KC and STL on the same day - no not at the same time), not to mention the tri-point by OK20/AR43/MO43 which I saw much missing signage for (likely not looking in the other locations) but did see the pair by the monument.  I aborted the last day's scenic route due to the car's oil life running out and drove the fast route home. 

Thanks Jess for hosting a good meet. 
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

oscar

I'm not quite home -- couldn't make it back before the snowstorm, so I'm spending a second night in Morgantown WV, which got less snow but the hills in town are ridiculous.

More to follow once I'm back home, hopefully tomorrow afternoon.

signalman

I'm still on the road. I had booked a room in Richmond, which I just checked in to. Northern NJ is getting clobbered with snow.. I'm contemplating riding the storm out for a second night here. It's currently snowing in Richmond, but it's not sticking to the roads.

Alps

Quote from: signalman on March 21, 2018, 05:37:49 PM
I'm still on the road. I had booked a room in Richmond, which I just checked in to. Northern NJ is getting clobbered with snow.. I'm contemplating riding the storm out for a second night here. It's currently snowing in Richmond, but it's not sticking to the roads.
It's not that bad up here. Plows are keeping pace.

cl94

Quote from: Alps on March 21, 2018, 06:01:53 PM
North Jersey isn't the problem. South Jersey, "Central Jersey" (if you believe such a thing exists), eastern PA are getting slammed.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

signalman

Quote from: cl94 on March 21, 2018, 06:15:57 PM
Quote from: Alps on March 21, 2018, 06:01:53 PM
North Jersey isn't the problem. South Jersey, "Central Jersey" (if you believe such a thing exists), eastern PA are getting slammed.
I'm not worried about NJ, it's VA, MD and PA that I'm concerned about and I need to pass through those states in order to get home.  Sorry, I poorly worded my previous post.

oscar

I got back home this afternoon, as the snow was melting in the D.C. area after temps rose into the 40s.

It was a good meet, both reasonable length and also something for everybody (I-49 construction, historic bridges, and the LA-AR-TX tripoint).

Part of what took me to Shreveport was combining that with lots of route-clinching along the way. On the way out, I clinched the North Carolina Interstates I hadn't previously driven (but one more, a new segment of I-840 in Greensboro, is coming soon). I also spent a lot of time in Texas before the meet, including a clinch of the short and obscure US 175, the short I-169 near Harlingen (looks like construction is in progress that might extend it a few more miles), and the Texas parts of US 87, US 287, and US 385. With this trip, I've clinched those three routes south of I-80, and I might snag the remainder on a northern road trip this summer. On the way back, I finished off US 79, the newest I-269 segment south of Memphis, and the newly-completed bypass in North Vernon IN onto which US 50 will likely be rerouted.

I have a second "round 2" account on mob-rule.com, which will ultimately show all the counties I've re-visited since I completed the U.S. counties in 2010 and Canada's in 2016. The U.S. map so far only includes my travels to and from the Shreveport meet, which illustrates how I got there and back including my travels all over Texas in the week preceding the meet:

http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/oscar-rd2.gif

That map, which like Canada's is organized differently than my "round 1" map, highlights the county seat cities I drove through (often driving past the courthouse). I didn't give much priority to county seats in round 1, but am paying more attention in round 2. The U.S. route network reaches more county seats than the Interstates, and often is less boring (in west Texas, both are mind-numbingly boring, but at least both have generous speed limits), though I did some Interstate travel on this trip to keep the overall length to about two weeks.

hbelkins

US 79 has been re-extended back to US 68 on the east side of Russellville, correct?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on March 23, 2018, 11:56:47 AM
US 79 has been re-extended back to US 68 on the east side of Russellville, correct?

Yes, over the new southern Russellville bypass (part of which is also US 431).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.