Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Ohio State Route numbering schema

(1/5) > >>

shoptb1:
Hello all.  Does anyone know if there is/was an original numbering schema for the Ohio State Highway system?  It seems that like most other states, the lower the number of digits, the more primary the route.  However, is there any type of numbering scheme between 100-800?  Are certain ranges in certain areas of the state, or are they branched off of a parent route?   :hmmm:

TheStranger:
The only one I can think of - not being an Ohio resident! - is the fact that Ohio Route 800 is a former segment of Route 8 (and thus probably got its number from its previous designation) that was orphaned when I-77 took over from Akron to Canton...

exit322:
Yes, that's why Route 800 has that number.  821 in SE Ohio has that number because it's an old alignment of US 21.

shoptb1:

--- Quote from: exit322 on January 11, 2010, 09:12:17 AM ---Yes, that's why Route 800 has that number.  821 in SE Ohio has that number because it's an old alignment of US 21.

--- End quote ---

That's interesting though...I would expect an orphan of OH-8 to receive a number such as 408, 508, etc, not 800.  The 821 example that you mentioned fits that schema. 

Alps:
There is definitely some clustering of routes like the 160s, though what the rationale is I couldn't tell you.  Same sort of thing in Connecticut.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version