Regional Boards > Midwest - Great Lakes

Ohio State Route numbering schema

<< < (2/4) > >>

shoptb1:

--- Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 11, 2010, 11:52:59 AM ---There is definitely some clustering of routes like the 160s, though what the rationale is I couldn't tell you.  Same sort of thing in Connecticut.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's strange because I think I get close to seeing patterns, and then I start second-guessing it.  For example, the venerable OH-315 runs north-south along the Olentangy River.  Then there's OH-317, which basically runs north-south as Hamilton Rd (for a portion of its length) about 5 miles east of OH-315.  So I'm thinking...maybe there's a pattern since OH-314 and OH-316 are also in the vicinity.  So maybe OH-319 is in there?  No, that's a 1-mile route over near Celina, OH in a completely different part of the state.  

Interestingly enough though, OH-319 happens to be in the vicinity of OH-119 and OH-219.  Maybe a pattern there?   :banghead:

TheStranger:

--- Quote from: shoptb1 on January 11, 2010, 12:02:41 PM ---
--- Quote from: AlpsROADS on January 11, 2010, 11:52:59 AM ---There is definitely some clustering of routes like the 160s, though what the rationale is I couldn't tell you.  Same sort of thing in Connecticut.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it's strange because I think I get close to seeing patterns, and then I start second-guessing it.  For example, the venerable OH-315 runs north-south along the Olentangy River.  Then there's OH-317, which basically runs north-south as Hamilton Rd (for a portion of its length) about 5 miles east of OH-315.  So I'm thinking...maybe there's a pattern since OH-314 and OH-316 are also in the vicinity.  So maybe OH-319 is in there?  No, that's a 1-mile route over near Celina, OH in a completely different part of the state. 

Interestingly enough though, OH-319 happens to be in the vicinity of OH-119 and OH-219.  Maybe a pattern there?   :banghead:

--- End quote ---

It could be a case of multiple _types_ of clusters, something like California's hodgepodge (i.e. 236, 237, 238 all being former segments of Route 9...241, 261 and former 231 representing the Orange County foothill toll roads...52, 54, and 56 being parts of San Diego County's freeway system).  Talk about several different numbering schemes all at work!

shoptb1:
I did some more digging around and I found this great web site that was updated about 9 years ago, but I'm guessing that the historical information is still accurate...nice listing of Ohio's State, US, and Interstate Routes along with a description of exactly this topic in question.  SCORE!

"Unofficial" Ohio State Highways Web Site
http://pages.prodigy.net/john.simpson/highways/ohhwys.html

Explanation of the Ohio State Highway System
http://pages.prodigy.net/john.simpson/highways/expls.html

exit322:

--- Quote from: shoptb1 on January 11, 2010, 09:15:02 AM ---
--- Quote from: exit322 on January 11, 2010, 09:12:17 AM ---Yes, that's why Route 800 has that number.  821 in SE Ohio has that number because it's an old alignment of US 21.

--- End quote ---

That's interesting though...I would expect an orphan of OH-8 to receive a number such as 408, 508, etc, not 800.  The 821 example that you mentioned fits that schema. 

--- End quote ---

Ohio at times seems to like to use 8xx for "renumbered old routes."  Since Route 8 was once a major route, I think the feeling was that "800" feels more major than "108" or "808."

agentsteel53:
yes, an old US-33 alignment is OH-833 - there used to be a US-33 cutout there for many years after the 33 designation was realigned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version