News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What other online communities AARoadsters participate in?

Started by jon daly, July 24, 2018, 08:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon daly

I have spent some time lately at railroad.net and Old Gas, because my roadgeekdom intersects with railroads and Petroliana. Old Gas is less active than here, but compared to Railroad.net it's high velocity! Are there any other transportation related sites that you guys like or discuss things on? I'm thinking of joining RMCA and was wondering if they have a board. Maps seem to be the central focus of my interest.

As far as non-road topics go, I spent a lot of time at Baseball Think Factory and its offshoots. But a lot of the discussions there have lost their freshness. What kept me hanging on there was I knew some of the guys and became IRL friends with them.

abefroman329

Transport-related: FlyerTalk

Non-transport-related: BariatricPal, although it's a) pretty specialized and b) kinda like Groundhog Day in that they keep talking about the same six topics.

jon daly

I can't escape Bill Murray or Chevy Chase when I talk to you :).

Another aspect of those baseball boards is that their off topic talk tends to wind up in huge threads; either a daily lounge or a monthly/weekly thread about a certain topic. I had to mine through a lot of dross to find good nuggets and it just got too time consuming to do so and maintain a good work/family life.

There is a union between there and roadgeekery. I met Dan Vincent once and he liked reading Joe Posnanski's writing on baseball. And Doug Kerr (where is he?), another guy I met at the same roadmeet a decade ago, posted a topic on Baseball Think Factory.

hbelkins

Road-wise, I read a number of Facebook groups. Plus I still subscribe to the Roadgeek group on Yahoo and I do still read MTR. And I recently joined Highway Divides, although I'm not sure if I'm going to participate there. And I'm a member of BipRoads, which seemingly is permanently defunct.

Other interests include mailing lists for NASCAR racing and University of Kentucky sports, and a few Facebook groups on those topics.

And I'm involved in a few conservative political groups as well, which should surprise absolutely no one.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

webny99

Honestly, there are only two other sites I visit with even close to the frequency of this one. That's city-data.com and fivethirtyeight.com.
Other than that, most of my internet activity is the NYSDOT website and traffic data viewer, Google Maps, and mob-rule.com.
I'm not a real "online community" type of person, but had to make at least a temporary exception for this forum.

Quote from: jon daly on July 24, 2018, 10:01:49 AM
And Doug Kerr (where is he?)

I think he's Dougtone on this forum. He's active here and there.

jon daly

I think I found the Roadgeek Yahoo email group via kurumi.com and got the daily digest version. I didn't care for that format but I thought at the time is cluttered my inbox less. Eventually, I found this place.

Was MTR part of USENET? I missed what baseball statheads called the Golden Age of Usenet during the 90s. I've "only" been online 22 or so years.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2018, 10:09:07 AM
Road-wise, I read a number of Facebook groups. Plus I still subscribe to the Roadgeek group on Yahoo and I do still read MTR. And I recently joined Highway Divides, although I'm not sure if I'm going to participate there. And I'm a member of BipRoads, which seemingly is permanently defunct.

Last I heard, BipRoads suffered some sort of glitch that shut things down.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

PHLBOS

Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2018, 10:09:07 AMRoad-wise, I read a number of Facebook groups.
Same here.  I also read a number of older/classic car groups in FB as well.
Forumwise: I've been on Airliners.net & PHLAirline.com under the same username (PHLBOS).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

inkyatari

Given my love for retro video games, I'm also over on Atariage.com

They have a huge Colecovision and Intellivision community over there as well as the Atari consoles, computers, and arcade games.  In fact, if it's retro gaming related, and maybe to a limited degree modern gaming related, they have sub forums for just about everything.  They also sell new homebrew games for the Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, Lynx, 8-Bit computers, and Intellivision, and Colecovision.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

SP Cook

This is the only road related board I participate in.  I am on a board or two for my other interests, which include cigars, bourbon and Scotch, the business of sports, TV and radio business, NASCAR and Indy Car, and Marshall sports.  I tried some UK boards, but big programs have so many fans there is nothing extra I can contribute and nothing I cannot learn from the general media.

I used to be big on 506Sports, which was the best business of sports and sports broadcasting site I knew of, but the moderator, who is Canadian, lost interest and it was taken over by racists and destroyed with extremist postings. 

I do not do political stuff.  Most boards I have tried end up taken over by conspiracy theorists, wing-nuts, and other crazies posting fact-free thoughts that are the internet equivalent of yelling "THIS NOT EITHER" really loudly, with a little "every politician I disagree with is a crook" "everybody who disagrees with me is dumb" and "every election my side lost was stolen" tossed in.

Getting ready for retirement and have been looking for some retirement relocation boards, but have found nothing that is not controlled by people trying to sell me something.

Takumi

I'm fairly active on Jalopnik's reader-based offshoot Oppositelock, and a couple of Honda/Acura forums.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: SP Cook on July 24, 2018, 12:05:51 PM
I used to be big on 506Sports, which was the best business of sports and sports broadcasting site I knew of, but the moderator, who is Canadian, lost interest and it was taken over by racists and destroyed with extremist postings. 

I guess I don't follow. but as for me I've taken a six-month (and counting) break because I got tired of some of the inmates running the asylum with (a couple posters in particular) douchebaggery, know-it-alls, regular speculation-as-fact posts, and people who just have to have the last word at all costs. I haven't seen much indication of me wanting to return anytime soon.

I've become active on some Twitch communities, though I don't game much because my hardware sucks.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hotdogPi

Wikipedia (as an editor, not just as a reader) and Steam.

Someone else mentioned fivethirtyeight. I read it too, but I wouldn't call it a community; there's no place to log in.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on July 24, 2018, 01:41:58 PM
Someone else mentioned fivethirtyeight. I read it too, but I wouldn't call it a community; there's no place to log in.

That would be me. I wasn't trying to imply that it was a "community", just that it's a site I visit with some frequency.

hbelkins

Getting ready for retirement and have been looking for some retirement relocation boards, but have found nothing that is not controlled by people trying to sell me something.

If you like the weather there in the Metro Valley, and that's not a factor in where you might move to, consider moving over my way. The first $33,000 or so of pension income is excluded from state income tax. Plus, you can get UK sports information straight from the sources.

I don't participate in any of the UK sports forums, save one mailing list that has become increasingly dormant as more people migrate to social media and other sources. And even if I did, there's one that I would definitely stay away from, that being Kentucky Sports Radio. I have a multitude of reasons to dislike Matt Jones, and a couple of people I know who've interacted with him professionally tell me I'm not misguided in my feelings about him.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on July 24, 2018, 03:10:20 PM

If you like the weather there in the Metro Valley, and that's not a factor in where you might move to, consider moving over my way. The first $33,000 or so of pension income is excluded from state income tax.

I love the Lexington - Bluegrass area.  Daughter, hopefully, will finish up her PhD at UK sometime next year.  Most universities like to "polenate" with their grad students and encourage them to seek employment elsewhere so ideas and ways of doing things get spread around.  Would not hurt me if she stayed in central Kentucky. 

As I have posted, I'm not a big fan of our governor, but my real guess as to why he got into politics is to do something about our retiree tax system.  Leaving out the real basket cases like CA, NY, and NJ, WV has about the most retiree unfriendly tax structure going.  The Gov owns both The Greenbrier, near Lewisburg and Glade Springs, near Beckley, neither of which have 5% of their total land developed and could be the seat of 1000s of homes.  He has tried to market both as retirement communities, but has had little luck because nobody not from here is going to buy into the confiscatory tax structure.

gonealookin

You might want to look at the Early Retirement forum.  The "Life After FIRE" (Financially Independent, Retired Early) section would have a lot of discussion on that topic.  The Bogleheads forum also talks a lot about that subject but you'd have to dig around some to find the topics.

texaskdog

CNGL-Leudimin

SkyscraperCity. The European roadgeek community appears to be there.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jon daly

You ever visit Football Outsiders? I used to use their player projections when I played FF.

jon daly

Quote from: webny99 on July 24, 2018, 10:17:40 AM
Honestly, there are only two other sites I visit with even close to the frequency of this one. That's city-data.com and fivethirtyeight.com.
Other than that, most of my internet activity is the NYSDOT website and traffic data viewer, Google Maps, and mob-rule.com.
I'm not a real "online community" type of person, but had to make at least a temporary exception for this forum.

Quote from: jon daly on July 24, 2018, 10:01:49 AM
And Doug Kerr (where is he?)

I think he's Dougtone on this forum. He's active here and there.

I had trouble posting in my own thread.

Fun Fact: Nate Silver at 538 got his start at Baseball Prospectus with a play projection system and other writings. BPro was an offshoot of USENET; the same place that I think MTR came from.

Big John

texaskdog

I use fantasypros for my projections, and only the accurate people, not people like Matthew Berry

freebrickproductions

Forums:
Mike's Railroad Crossing Forum
Highway Divides
The Siren Board

Other social media:
YouTube
Facebook (many groups there, mostly US/UK railfanning related)
Twitter (where I post most of my politics these days)
Quora (not too active, mostly just read)
DeviantArt (not the most active there either)

I'm also on an image booru for one of the fandoms I'm in.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on July 24, 2018, 08:49:26 AM
Transport-related: FlyerTalk

I have an account there too, but I pop in infrequently; everything comes down to the same 4-5 arguments, which gets tiresome fast. There's some helpful folks but understanding the lingo is like learning a new language. I suppose if I was paying for my own airfare, I'd have a lot more to fuss about. I just take my seat and shut up, after all...it averages out to a bunch of 1h 50m flights when it's all said and done.

[/logs in to see what's new]

Forgot about the retiring MD-88s.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.