News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2018-19 NCAA basketball season

Started by US 41, November 08, 2018, 07:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 26, 2019, 01:52:50 AM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 26, 2019, 01:43:42 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on March 25, 2019, 08:38:01 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 25, 2019, 12:53:16 PM
Quote from: MantyMadTown on March 24, 2019, 12:37:10 AM
I'm pretty impressed with how Auburn has been. They just beat Kansas in a blowout.

Bruce Pearl vs. the Tarholes. I'm rooting for a massive earthquake.
I'm partial to Giant Meteor. They do have a good rivalry with Massive Earthquake, tho

What?
The general idea, when picking between or among things/teams an individual detests, the best solution is to make all competing parties lose. In Zero Sum contests (one winner, one loser), its generally not possible for all contestants to lose.

One way to ensure everyone loses: disaster strike, like a massive earthquake or giant meteor. Hence a statement like rooting for a massive earthquake or giant meteor. Its a metaphoric way to say one wants both/all teams to lose

A tornado actually did hit the Georgia Dome during the SEC Tournament several years ago.

As for my comment, I'm in the minority of UK fans in that I dislike North Carolina a lot more than Duke. We've played the Tarholes more (that's my pet name for the Tarheels), and they actually took over our spot for #1 in all-time wins for a time. And there's just an overall haughtiness and arrogance about the North Carolina basketball program and the absolute BS of that "Carolina Way" nonsense. That got blown out of the water by the academic scandal. That program has always had a superior attitude that's totally undeserved.

Don't get me wrong; I detest Duke as well. I have no love for Ratface and it sickens me to see the national media slobber all over the Dookies. I root for the natural disaster anytime Puke and the Tarholes play each other. I feel the way about both programs that they feel about each other. But the whole Duke thing comes from a game in 1992 that shouldn't even have been as close as it was, and the North Carolina thing is definitely long-term, big picture.

As for Bruce Pearl, there's a reason he's not coaching at Tennessee anymore, and it has nothing to do with his record on the court. And the case of Calipari envy he has is comical. It's pretty common knowledge in Kentucky that Pearl's a jerk.

Therefore, there are no good outcomes when UNC plays a Bruce Pearl-coached team. The only positive is that if UK survives Friday night against Houston, it has beaten both of those teams during the season, UNC by eight and Auburn by 27.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ET21

2-2 last night, one of my final fours is gone, champions still alive
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

kevinb1994

Quote from: ET21 on March 29, 2019, 10:17:16 AM
2-2 last night, one of my final fours is gone, champions still alive

Two of the #2 seeds got knocked out of the tournament.

Henry

We just need UNC and Duke to make it to the Elite Eight to make it another perfect round for the #1 seeds!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Big John

Duke pulls another win out of the hat.

Alps

Quote from: Henry on March 29, 2019, 10:55:03 AM
We just need UNC and Duke to make it to the Elite Eight to make it another perfect round for the #1 seeds!
jinx

jp the roadgeek

One half of my bracket is dead (UT and NC); the other, more important part of my bracket is solid (my champion Zags and Sparty).  Duke has the proverbial horseshoe up it's behind.  :ded:
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hotdogPi

They're called upsets because the losing team gets upset that they were beaten by a weaker team.  :-D
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

MantyMadTown

Crap, my bracket got busted again. I picked UNC winning it all this year.
Forget the I-41 haters

1995hoo

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I just need Duke to win tomorrow and both schools I attended will be in the Final Four in the same year.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kevinb1994

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 30, 2019, 11:10:00 PM

That was a close one, thought Purdue would win at one point.

1995hoo

My heart rate was over 120 bpm and my wife was worried that my face looked too red. I thought we were gonna lose at the end of regulation.

kevinb1994

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 30, 2019, 11:12:29 PM
My heart rate was over 120 bpm and my wife was worried that my face looked too red. I thought we were gonna lose at the end of regulation.

I can imagine that, I was pretty excited as well.

Buck87

We now have 2 first timers heading to the Final Four, as well as a school that hasn't been there in 35 years.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Buck87 on March 31, 2019, 04:55:21 PM
We now have 2 first timers heading to the Final Four, as well as a school that hasn't been there in 35 years.

This is quite a surprise, indeed.

kevinb1994

What a weekend filled with upsets! Wonder what next weekend has in store for March Madness...

1995hoo

Now I just need Duke to win tomorrow and both schools I attended will be in the Final Four in the same year.

Well, if only one of them could make it, I got the one that matters more to me!

kevinb1994

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 31, 2019, 07:35:56 PM

Well, if only one of them could make it, I got the one that matters more to me!

Same here. Unfortunately my bracket got busted and I dropped back to where I was earlier in the tournament.

1995hoo

I didn't enter any brackets; mine is based on personal interest with priority always going to UVA because it's my undergrad school.

kevinb1994

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 31, 2019, 07:44:46 PM
I didn't enter any brackets; mine is based on personal interest with priority always going to UVA because it's my undergrad school.

I know that, I was just saying.

MantyMadTown

Forget the I-41 haters

kevinb1994

hbelkins

The bad news is, Kentucky won't be winning the tournament.

The good news is, neither will North Carolina, Duke, or Tennessee.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SP Cook

No team I have an interest in is left.  So fall back on prejudice and illogic. 

Texas Tech - Only been to Texas once.  My read on Texas is that the real Texans go to places like TAMU and TTU, as opposed to the U of T, so there is that.  But I don't like WVU, which is in the Big 12, and don't want to hear vicarious crap out of that crew.

Michigan State - Izzo isn't my favorite, but MSU isn't Michigan.  Seems like more down to earth people, which is what you get from an ag school.  But they have been there before.

UVa - In all the world, there are not two more different same state fan bases as VA Tech and UVa.  VA Tech people wear camo.  UVa people drive Volvos.  Stuck up lefties from DC metro, mostly.  Hope they lose.

So Auburn?  Pearl is a crook, so it will get vacated anyway, but it is the SEC, and Auburn fans, of whom I am friends with quite a number considering where I live, are good down to earth people.  So Auburn.

kevinb1994

Quote from: SP Cook on April 01, 2019, 12:59:08 PM
No team I have an interest in is left.  So fall back on prejudice and illogic. 

Texas Tech - Only been to Texas once.  My read on Texas is that the real Texans go to places like TAMU and TTU, as opposed to the U of T, so there is that.  But I don't like WVU, which is in the Big 12, and don't want to hear vicarious crap out of that crew.

Michigan State - Izzo isn't my favorite, but MSU isn't Michigan.  Seems like more down to earth people, which is what you get from an ag school.  But they have been there before.

UVa - In all the world, there are not two more different same state fan bases as VA Tech and UVa.  VA Tech people wear camo.  UVa people drive Volvos.  Stuck up lefties from DC metro, mostly.  Hope they lose.

So Auburn?  Pearl is a crook, so it will get vacated anyway, but it is the SEC, and Auburn fans, of whom I am friends with quite a number considering where I live, are good down to earth people.  So Auburn.

No politics on this forum please. Thank you.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.