News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Slip lanes with stop signs

Started by jakeroot, November 11, 2018, 11:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

I've seen this all over the place, many times, but I've never understood it.

Slip lanes pretty much universally have yield signs, as they are A) usually more of a merge than a right turn, and B) they are frequently used at signals, so a yield sign allows the right turning traffic to continuously turn during the straight-ahead green phase, except when giving way to oncoming left turns.

But every now and then, I see a stop sign used at these locations. If you know of any egregious examples, feel free to share.

Here's one in Seattle that drivers frequently acknowledge as a yield sign. And below, a nearly brand-new slip lane with a stop sign in Coquitlam, BC (the other three slip lanes at this intersection feature yield signs or nothing (add-lane) -- no idea why this particular movement is special).

TheHighwayMan3561

Wisconsin likes slip lanes with stop signs or signals.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jakeroot

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 11, 2018, 11:10:19 PM

I've always liked WI's signalized slip lanes, but did not know they used the stop sign at these locations too.

bcroadguy

I guess this sort of counts as a slip lane...

This fairly new (built 2011-ish) on ramp has a stop sign. It's a relatively low volume movement, but I've always found it very bizarre / kind of haphazard for a pretty new ramp between two major roads: https://www.google.com/maps/@49.2504394,-122.7377319,3a,75y,191.22h,81.6t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sc_CmYd6gcQhobTbC3Srx5A!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo3.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3Dc_CmYd6gcQhobTbC3Srx5A%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D164.97737%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

That Coquitlam example that Jakeroot posted is often treated like a yield sign by many people (myself included).

bcroadguy

Here's a stop sign freeway RIRO onramp in North Vancouver (with a merge lane for some reason). I have no idea why it hasn't been removed yet since it only serves a small residential neighborhood and there's a proper (sort of) interchange very close by.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.3326857,-123.104799,3a,84.9y,199.6h,82.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNExpKs5Vf8WGr2qgkB0I1A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

UCFKnights

Quote from: jakeroot on November 11, 2018, 11:08:56 PM
I've seen this all over the place, many times, but I've never understood it.

Slip lanes pretty much universally have yield signs, as they are A) usually more of a merge than a right turn, and B) they are frequently used at signals, so a yield sign allows the right turning traffic to continuously turn during the straight-ahead green phase, except when giving way to oncoming left turns.

But every now and then, I see a stop sign used at these locations. If you know of any egregious examples, feel free to share.

Here's one in Seattle that drivers frequently acknowledge as a yield sign. And below, a nearly brand-new slip lane with a stop sign in Coquitlam, BC (the other three slip lanes at this intersection feature yield signs or nothing (add-lane) -- no idea why this particular movement is special).

One that always drove me crazy was i-75/Archer Road in Gainesville.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6167892,-82.3873387,3a,24.8y,258.09h,87.26t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAPnaHk7v9gmjaXgH9eWBiA!2e0!5s20170201T000000!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6177061,-82.385027,3a,75y,101.33h,97t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sEBhXhMgZUkF39tBcqdC9AQ!2e0!5s20080301T000000!7i3328!8i1664

Cops used to love to hang out there and give tickets to anyone who failed to come to a complete stop, and the second one especially, would back up pretty severely when people were stopping due to cops watching. I say used to as they actually removed both slip ramps recently and replaced them with traditional right turn lanes at the lights. I've heard rumors that was because of the ticket abuse at the location, although I don't know why they couldn't just have switched the stop to yield instead of removing the slip lanes.

DaBigE

Quote from: jakeroot on November 11, 2018, 11:14:51 PM

I've always liked WI's signalized slip lanes, but did not know they used the stop sign at these locations too.

Unfortunately, they do. Way too many of them, IMO. Some are converted from Yield control, but there are many like this one which have been stop-controlled from day one. Very annoying when the rest of the approach has a green light, but right-turners still have to stop. It leads to a lot of generous rolling stops.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

jeffandnicole

These off the NJ Turnpike Exit 3 looks like the perfect yield situations, but each has a stop sign. https://goo.gl/maps/g3fosPsjJ652 . It's possible you could argue the nearby driveways would require a stop sign at these locations.  Anyway, the stop signs function as a yield sign. Many years ago when I worked this interchange, I had someone come through with a printout of all the quote-unquote known police speed and other traps, and this stop sign was one of them. (I often thought that list was filled with a ton of places someone happened to see a cop just driving and had nothing to do with a speed trap.) In all my years of traveling around this intersection, I've never seen a cop down there watching traffic at the stop sign. Note...the crosswalks are newer so they don't really factor into why there's always been stop signs on the ramps.

Similar situation was at the NJ Turnpike Exit 2. However, the right turn slip lane was upgraded from a stop sign to a yield sign when a traffic light was installed.
https://goo.gl/maps/2n5WaGjy32K2

Revive 755

Quote from: DaBigE on November 12, 2018, 09:48:58 AM
Unfortunately, they do. Way too many of them, IMO. Some are converted from Yield control, but there are many like this one which have been stop-controlled from day one. Very annoying when the rest of the approach has a green light, but right-turners still have to stop. It leads to a lot of generous rolling stops.

And Wisconsin putting up a sign beneath the stop sign saying "Right Turns Obey This Sign" (of which I can't find an example of on Streetview this morning).

Illinois has a couple:
* IL 58 at IL 72 in Schaumburg for the EB IL 72 to WB IL 58

* IL 62 at IL 68 for the EB IL 62 to WB IL 68 movement

webny99

Yes, I do know of an example: right here at NY 104 and NY 250 in Webster, NY. Completely unnecessary, and it bugs the tar out of me every time I use it.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

DaBigE

Quote from: Revive 755 on November 12, 2018, 11:54:29 AM

And Wisconsin putting up a sign beneath the stop sign saying "Right Turns Obey This Sign" (of which I can't find an example of on Streetview this morning).

Here's one

Eth

There is this one a few miles from me. Admittedly it does hit the cross road at a sharper-than-average angle, but I'd say that's just an artifact of poor intersection design.

kphoger

Soooooo............  A slip lane with a stop sign is actually more restrictive than the stoplight it supposedly avoids–when that stoplight is green.   :ded:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on November 12, 2018, 02:15:42 PM
Soooooo............  A slip lane with a stop sign is actually more restrictive than the stoplight it supposedly avoids–when that stoplight is green.   :ded:

Yeah, I know, hence my hatred for these things.

jakeroot

Quote from: bcroadguy on November 12, 2018, 05:31:33 AM
This fairly new (built 2011-ish) on ramp has a stop sign. It's a relatively low volume movement, but I've always found it very bizarre / kind of haphazard for a pretty new ramp between two major roads:

I've always hated that one too. That damn bridge/interchange opened in 2009, but that merge looks like something from the 50s. Apparently not enough room for a proper merge before the railway underpass, so we got stuck with this.

Quote from: bcroadguy on November 12, 2018, 05:31:33 AM
That Coquitlam example that Jakeroot posted is often treated like a yield sign by many people (myself included).

Guilty as charged.

Quote from: bcroadguy on November 12, 2018, 05:39:19 AM
Here's a stop sign freeway RIRO onramp in North Vancouver (with a merge lane for some reason). I have no idea why it hasn't been removed yet since it only serves a small residential neighborhood and there's a proper (sort of) interchange very close by.

https://www.google.com/maps/@49.3326857,-123.104799,3a,84.9y,199.6h,82.19t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNExpKs5Vf8WGr2qgkB0I1A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I've never understood that RIRO. The province has been working tirelessly to upgrade Highway 1 throughout the Lower Mainland with bigger/better interchanges, more lanes, safer merges, etc. But they let crap like this fly, even when a proper interchange is just a few hundred meters away. Stupid.  Looks more like something you'd seen on the SFPR.

jakeroot

Wait, some of them have been changed to stop control from yield? Jesus. The one's I'm most familiar with have always been stop signs (as stupid as they may be). Can't even imagine the level of non-compliance at ones that used to be a yield.

Quote from: UCFKnights on November 12, 2018, 09:28:47 AM
One that always drove me crazy was i-75/Archer Road in Gainesville.
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6167892,-82.3873387,3a,24.8y,258.09h,87.26t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sAPnaHk7v9gmjaXgH9eWBiA!2e0!5s20170201T000000!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6177061,-82.385027,3a,75y,101.33h,97t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sEBhXhMgZUkF39tBcqdC9AQ!2e0!5s20080301T000000!7i3328!8i1664

Cops used to love to hang out there and give tickets to anyone who failed to come to a complete stop, and the second one especially, would back up pretty severely when people were stopping due to cops watching. I say used to as they actually removed both slip ramps recently and replaced them with traditional right turn lanes at the lights. I've heard rumors that was because of the ticket abuse at the location, although I don't know why they couldn't just have switched the stop to yield instead of removing the slip lanes.

Classic revenue scheme. Total crap.

Slip lanes are often being removed now to reduce the number of crossings for pedestrians, or improve pedestrian safety at poorly-performing slip lanes. Though I agree that many, if not all, could be fixed by signalizing the slip ramp instead of completely rebuilding it.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 12, 2018, 10:04:58 AM
These off the NJ Turnpike Exit 3 looks like the perfect yield situations, but each has a stop sign. https://goo.gl/maps/g3fosPsjJ652 . It's possible you could argue the nearby driveways would require a stop sign at these locations.  Anyway, the stop signs function as a yield sign. Many years ago when I worked this interchange, I had someone come through with a printout of all the quote-unquote known police speed and other traps, and this stop sign was one of them. (I often thought that list was filled with a ton of places someone happened to see a cop just driving and had nothing to do with a speed trap.) In all my years of traveling around this intersection, I've never seen a cop down there watching traffic at the stop sign. Note...the crosswalks are newer so they don't really factor into why there's always been stop signs on the ramps.

Similar situation was at the NJ Turnpike Exit 2. However, the right turn slip lane was upgraded from a stop sign to a yield sign when a traffic light was installed.
https://goo.gl/maps/2n5WaGjy32K2

I think your first link should have been to this trumpet: https://goo.gl/ShuiXM

Those merges appear to be completely ignored! For good reason. Plenty of room for merging.

Glad that second link's right turn was modified. Proper intersection now. Sidenote: NJ, as usual, way outdoing every other northeast state with their signal placement.

jakeroot

Illinois has a couple:

Woah, a slip lane in IL that's unsignalized! Guess I shouldn't be surprised that they opted for stop control, as they are apparently afraid of right-turn-yield situations (never seen one in IL).

Quote from: webny99 on November 12, 2018, 12:14:12 PM
Yes, I do know of an example: right here at NY 104 and NY 250 in Webster, NY. Completely unnecessary, and it bugs the tar out of me every time I use it.  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I can see why put up those massive stop signs. I'm sure most drivers are rightfully ignoring them, as you can clearly see that it's OK to turn without stopping when the off-ramp has a green signal (as is the case with most examples here).

Quote from: DaBigE on November 12, 2018, 12:50:21 PM

Here's one

:facepalm:  --  if a stop sign and signal are so close together that you need to use that sign, perhaps a reconsideration of the traffic control method is in order.

Quote from: Eth on November 12, 2018, 01:03:47 PM
There is this one a few miles from me. Admittedly it does hit the cross road at a sharper-than-average angle, but I'd say that's just an artifact of poor intersection design.

They are sometimes designed like that to improve pedestrian visibility, but I don't see why they couldn't still use yield signs, especially being that close to a signal. The approach reminds me of this off-ramp: https://goo.gl/UhwHWG (sharp turn but yield sign).

DaBigE

Quote from: jakeroot on November 12, 2018, 03:15:50 PM

Wait, some of them have been changed to stop control from yield? Jesus. The one's I'm most familiar with have always been stop signs (as stupid as they may be). Can't even imagine the level of non-compliance at ones that used to be a yield.

Yup, it's the hierarchy of improvements. Places where right turn volumes aren't high enough to justify signalization, but compliance is low enough that the Yield sign isn't working, and typically in urban areas where pedestrians could be an issue. Note my example above has a mixed use path paralleling the main road. In my other example, it's adjacent to the downtown. All in an effort to save a couple thousand dollars from lack of signalization, but you get the indirect "benefit" of an increase in rolling stops.  :rolleyes:

Quote from: jakeroot on November 12, 2018, 03:24:01 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on November 12, 2018, 12:50:21 PM

Here's one

:facepalm:  --  if a stop sign and signal are so close together that you need to use that sign, perhaps a reconsideration of the traffic control method is in order.

In the city's defense, the right turn volumes are incredibly low at that location. There used to be protected/permissive lefts for the opposing direction (serving the influx of shift traffic from the major employers that used to be just down the road). The Stop sign is a carryover from those days. Back when the left-turn arrows were active, signalized right-turn lanes were uncommon (non-existent in that city). The left-turn arrows are long gone, but the Stop sign will likely remain until the time the intersection is redone (not even on the radar screen).

kphoger

Woah, a slip lane in IL that's unsignalized!

There are slip lanes in Illinois, however, where it's unclear whether you have to stop at a red light or not.  Take a look at this intersection in Marion, for example.  There is a slip lane with a signal next to it made up of right arrows, but no stop bar or crosswalk markings.  The geometry and pavement seems to contradict the signal indication.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: DaBigE on November 12, 2018, 03:42:15 PM
Yup, it's the hierarchy of improvements. Places where right turn volumes aren't high enough to justify signalization, but compliance is low enough that the Yield sign isn't working, and typically in urban areas where pedestrians could be an issue. Note my example above has a mixed use path paralleling the main road. In my other example, it's adjacent to the downtown. All in an effort to save a couple thousand dollars from lack of signalization, but you get the indirect "benefit" of an increase in rolling stops.  :rolleyes:

I think the way they signalized the right turn (in this example) from University to Allen is a great alternative to yield signs, assuming funds exist. I guess there wasn't any money left over to replace that yield sign!

if a stop sign and signal are so close together that you need to use that sign, perhaps a reconsideration of the traffic control method is in order.

In the city's defense, the right turn volumes are incredibly low at that location. There used to be protected/permissive lefts for the opposing direction (serving the influx of shift traffic from the major employers that used to be just down the road). The Stop sign is a carryover from those days. Back when the left-turn arrows were active, signalized right-turn lanes were uncommon (non-existent in that city). The left-turn arrows are long gone, but the Stop sign will likely remain until the time the intersection is redone (not even on the radar screen).

They could have taken a page from IL and just used green circles for the right turns. I guess this would give priority to right turning traffic...come to think of it, kind of unsure how things work in IL if the right turn has a green circle...

Quote from: kphoger on November 12, 2018, 04:10:36 PM

There are slip lanes in Illinois, however, where it's unclear whether you have to stop at a red light or not.  Take a look at this intersection in Marion, for example.  There is a slip lane with a signal next to it made up of right arrows, but no stop bar or crosswalk markings.  The geometry and pavement seems to contradict the signal indication.

That is strange. The other slip lanes have stop lines (though very faded), yet no indication that one ever existed for that right turn. I could sort of understand it, if the right turn got its own lane (making the arrow an effective "keep moving" signal), but that's obviously not the case. I guess they just want drivers to stop before entering the "intersection control area"?

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on November 12, 2018, 07:30:48 PM

That is strange. The other slip lanes have stop lines (though very faded), yet no indication that one ever existed for that right turn. I could sort of understand it, if the right turn got its own lane (making the arrow an effective "keep moving" signal), but that's obviously not the case. I guess they just want drivers to stop before entering the "intersection control area"?

While they are certainly rare, slip lanes do exist in Illinois without restriction.  Just down Route 13 from that other intersection is this one (very near where I briefly worked a miserable temp job at a Circuit City distribution center 12½ years ago) with no restriction at all.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on November 12, 2018, 07:50:03 PM

While they are certainly rare, slip lanes do exist in Illinois without restriction.  Just down Route 13 from that other intersection is this one (very near where I briefly worked a miserable temp job at a Circuit City distribution center 12½ years ago) with no restriction at all.

I assume the idea is to follow the lead of the signals to the left?

Revive 755

Illinois has a couple:

Woah, a slip lane in IL that's unsignalized! Guess I shouldn't be surprised that they opted for stop control, as they are apparently afraid of right-turn-yield situations (never seen one in IL).

I thought we had a thread on yield controlled right turns in Illinois?  I think District 8 (Collinsville) had the most.  Couple examples:

* One off SB IL 3 in Dupo
* SB IL 3 at Sand Bank Road in Columbia
* IL 157 at IL 3 in Cahokia (appears to also have right turn arrows?

DaBigE

I think the way they signalized the right turn (in this example) from University to Allen is a great alternative to yield signs, assuming funds exist. I guess there wasn't any money left over to replace that yield sign!

I'm assuming you're referring to this one? Your link went to the same unsignalized right-turn. For the record, I have yet to see this one go red (or this over-signalized monstrosity...yes that's FIVE signals all for a single right-turn lane  :pan:). Trust me, they had the money, but because of the volumes, they were lazy and kept the Stop sign. As part of the same project, this was also put in. The project spanned from just west of the Hill Farms WisDOT HQ (near Sheboygan Ave) to approximately Allen Blvd. The only way they could have spent more money is if it would have been all concrete. For what it's worth, I don't believe the original right turn movement in question was ever a Yield control. Several in Wisconsin have followed the pattern of Yield sign to Stop sign but I don't think this was one of them.

if a stop sign and signal are so close together that you need to use that sign, perhaps a reconsideration of the traffic control method is in order.

They could have taken a page from IL and just used green circles for the right turns. I guess this would give priority to right turning traffic...come to think of it, kind of unsure how things work in IL if the right turn has a green circle...

That would have cost extra money to run conduit. As much as an annoyance as it is to drivers, unless the volumes, safety needs, or political will warrants it, they'll always go the cheaper route. Whenever the time does come to rebuild the intersection, I see the EB slip lane disappearing and the NB free-flow right turning into a Stop-controlled lane or pulled back into the main approach altogether. As I eluded to before, traffic patterns have changed dramatically since the current configuration was constructed. I doubt the right turn lanes at that intersection will ever be signalized slip lanes.

jakeroot

Quote from: DaBigE on November 12, 2018, 10:47:51 PM
I'm assuming you're referring to this one? Your link went to the same unsignalized right-turn. For the record, I have yet to see this one go red (or this over-signalized monstrosity...yes that's FIVE signals all for a single right-turn lane  :pan:). Trust me, they had the money, but because of the volumes, they were lazy and kept the Stop sign. As part of the same project, this was also put in. The project spanned from just west of the Hill Farms WisDOT HQ (near Sheboygan Ave) to approximately Allen Blvd. The only way they could have spent more money is if it would have been all concrete. For what it's worth, I don't believe the original right turn movement in question was ever a Yield control. Several in Wisconsin have followed the pattern of Yield sign to Stop sign but I don't think this was one of them.

Yes, that's the correct slip lane. I copied your link that I cut out when quoting you (to minimize stacking), but since I was referring to that intersection, I just copied your original link for my response. Probably could have just made another one in retrospect :-/.

Anyways, I refuse to acknowledge the concept of over-signalization. I come from an area with virtually no requirements for secondary signals (just cities and counties doing whatever the hell they want, sometimes using them, sometimes not), so I have a strong appreciation for "just in case" signals.

The University/Spring Harbor intersection might be the first signal I've seen in Wisconsin without a secondary through signal face. Obviously the right turn has one, as does the oncoming left and the oncoming through, but nothing extra for northbound traffic. Funny how they can have single-lane right turns with five signal faces, but be unable to find a way to have even one secondary through head for that movement.

Quote from: DaBigE on November 12, 2018, 10:47:51 PM
As much as an annoyance as it is to drivers, unless the volumes, safety needs, or political will warrants it, they'll always go the cheaper route. Whenever the time does come to rebuild the intersection, I see the EB slip lane disappearing and the NB free-flow right turning into a Stop-controlled lane or pulled back into the main approach altogether. As I eluded to before, traffic patterns have changed dramatically since the current configuration was constructed. I doubt the right turn lanes at that intersection will ever be signalized slip lanes.

Slip lanes are rapidly disappearing from many WA cities, and even BC has been backing off the idea (despite building them religiously at most intersections for many decades). Honestly, I'd rather right turns occurred at the main intersection box if it meant not having to go through a stop sign for the right turn. If a jurisdiction is gonna build a slip lane, build it right (with correct angles for improved visibility -- see link), and put in a yield sign or a signal. Or, don't build one at all. But don't cheap out with stop signs. Yuck.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.