News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Slip lanes with stop signs

Started by jakeroot, November 11, 2018, 11:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankenroad

They are in the process of removing the slip lane pictured here.

This is in a residential neighborhood, with a fairly low traffic count.  It is controlled by a 2-way stop (Bruce stops; Kirby does not), plus a stop sign at the end of the slip lane.  After removal of the slip lane, traffic turning right will have a very sharp turn to make. 

This does not make sense to me - can someone explain what the value in removing the slip lane is?  I can see putting in an island to improve the crossing for pedestrians, but not complete removal of the slip lane.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

Quote from: frankenroad on July 28, 2021, 03:58:06 PM

This is in a residential neighborhood, with a fairly low traffic count.  It is controlled by a 2-way stop (Bruce stops; Kirby does not), plus a stop sign at the end of the slip lane.  After removal of the slip lane, traffic turning right will have a very sharp turn to make. 

This does not make sense to me - can someone explain what the value in removing the slip lane is?  I can see putting in an island to improve the crossing for pedestrians, but not complete removal of the slip lane.

For one thing, it's going to be an all-way stop once they're done.

Quote from:  HAM CR 617 2.59 KIRBY & BRUCE, PID 111252
Specifications

Specifications include, but are not limited to: This contract includes realigning existing Kirby & Bruce intersection and converting to an all-stop condition. Work includes demolition of existing pavement, curb, and walk, construction of curb, walk, and driveway. Drainage work includes installation of conduit and inlet structures. All work shall be completed to current City Standards and in accordance with the Special Provisions and Plans.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: frankenroad on July 28, 2021, 03:58:06 PM

Probably to increase green space. They could make it an island, but they probably didn't want to have one so small. As long as the corner radius is big enough, it doesn't look too unreasonable of a turn to negotiate.

For a residential neighborhood, I think what's there now is overkill.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 28, 2021, 04:10:22 PM
As long as the corner radius is big enough, it doesn't look too unreasonable of a turn to negotiate.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2021, 04:19:10 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 28, 2021, 04:10:22 PM
As long as the corner radius is big enough, it doesn't look too unreasonable of a turn to negotiate.

Yeah, I'm no P.E. (yet) but that looks pretty good to me. And again, it sounds like it's a low volume road where this sort of thing isn't really a problem.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

jakeroot

From my original post:

Quote from: jakeroot on November 11, 2018, 11:08:56 PM
And below, a nearly brand-new slip lane with a stop sign in Coquitlam, BC (the other three slip lanes at this intersection feature yield signs or nothing (add-lane) -- no idea why this particular movement is special).

This was finally replaced by a yield sign in the last few months. The stop bar remains, but it may eventually be removed and replaced with a dashed edge extension line along the arterial (Marine Way) or maybe a bike lane crossing like this.

Coquitlam Slip Lane by Jacob Root, on Flickr

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.