News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2018-19 NCAA basketball season

Started by US 41, November 08, 2018, 07:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: hbelkins on March 28, 2019, 05:03:08 PM
But the whole Duke thing comes from a game in 1992 that shouldn't even have been as close as it was, and the North Carolina thing is definitely long-term, big picture.

You referring to this?

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on April 01, 2019, 12:59:08 PM
No team I have an interest in is left.  So fall back on prejudice and illogic. 

Texas Tech - Only been to Texas once.  My read on Texas is that the real Texans go to places like TAMU and TTU, as opposed to the U of T, so there is that.  But I don't like WVU, which is in the Big 12, and don't want to hear vicarious crap out of that crew.

Michigan State - Izzo isn't my favorite, but MSU isn't Michigan.  Seems like more down to earth people, which is what you get from an ag school.  But they have been there before.

UVa - In all the world, there are not two more different same state fan bases as VA Tech and UVa.  VA Tech people wear camo.  UVa people drive Volvos.  Stuck up lefties from DC metro, mostly.  Hope they lose.

So Auburn?  Pearl is a crook, so it will get vacated anyway, but it is the SEC, and Auburn fans, of whom I am friends with quite a number considering where I live, are good down to earth people.  So Auburn.

Basketball season is over for me, but I don't really have a rooting interest other than I'm not for Auburn. I'm not like a lot of the fans around here in wanting an SEC school to win if UK doesn't. These are our rivals, and they certainly don't root for us -- I heard that the Auburn crowd rooted for Houston in the regional semis. Most veterinarians around here go to Auburn after they finish their undergrad work at a Kentucky university.

Interesting that at least two national championship coaches -- Knight and Smith -- couldn't get Texas Tech to the Final Four in past years. I don't even know who the coach is there now.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

csw

Well, with the way Chris Beard is going, you'll be hearing his name for a long time.

1995hoo

Holy shit. We should have lost. But I'll take the win!!!!!!

WAHOOWA!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and fuck off, SP Cook.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kevinb1994

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 06, 2019, 08:37:32 PM
Holy shit. We should have lost. But I'll take the win!!!!!!

WAHOOWA!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and fuck off, SP Cook.

IKR? What a close game!

csw

They can't keep getting away with it..!

hbelkins

Most of my Facebook friends have no dog in the fight, but those who watched seem to think that Auburn got doubly hosed by the stripes in the last few seconds. Virginia got away with a double dribble, and then there wasn't a foul on that last shot.

MantyMadTown

Quote from: hbelkins on April 07, 2019, 11:20:53 PM
Most of my Facebook friends have no dog in the fight, but those who watched seem to think that Auburn got doubly hosed by the stripes in the last few seconds. Virginia got away with a double dribble, and then there wasn't a foul on that last shot.

And yet another championship appearance wasted by a bad call. :rolleyes:  Reminds of me of how the New Orleans Saints were the victims of a bad call that cost them the 2018 NFC Championship last year.
Forget the I-41 haters

LM117

The foul call was legit IMO, but Virginia definitely got away with the double dribble. Charles Barkley's reaction was priceless.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

1995hoo

If you call the alleged double-dribble that is the subject of so much crying in some quarters, then you also have to call this Auburn foul that occurred (and wasn't called) immediately before that incident, so there wouldn't have been a double-dribble anyway.

1995hoo

csw

Turns out they can, in fact, keep getting away with it.

nexus73

Classic old school basketball played at a higher level sure is fun to watch!  Once the Cavs got the lead in OT, TT was forced to foul, which they did in a timely fashion, only to see UVA knock down every single attempt from the charity stripe.  That was clutch!

Virginia never did dominate anyone in the tournament.  Unlike last year's choke artist performance, when they were the #1 overall seed and then became the first ever #1 bracket seed to lose to a #16 seed, this version made sure to perform when it counted.  It was as gutty a run to the title as one could want. 

Ralph Sampson could not get it done.  This team did. 

Now on to the NBA Playoffs!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

hbelkins

I didn't watch but once again my Facebook feed of disinterested observers is full of comments about the refs giving it (again) to Virginia. They mentioned something about an out-of-bounds call that wasn't made that should have been, or was made but shouldn't have been.

I lose interest once UK's out. I've gotten to the point where I can't watch a sporting event unless I have a rooting interest.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on April 09, 2019, 07:42:52 PM
I didn't watch but once again my Facebook feed of disinterested observers is full of comments about the refs giving it (again) to Virginia. They mentioned something about an out-of-bounds call that wasn't made that should have been, or was made but shouldn't have been.

Of course I'm biased, but the whining strikes me as hypocrisy. On Saturday they were bitching and moaning that there needed to be more use of replay. Now after last night's game they're complaining that the officials used replay.

tchafe1978

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 09, 2019, 07:57:23 PM

Of course I'm biased, but the whining strikes me as hypocrisy. On Saturday they were bitching and moaning that there needed to be more use of replay. Now after last night's game they're complaining that the officials used replay.

If it favors your team, it's great. If it favors the other team, it sucks. Sports, gotta love 'em.

1995hoo

Quote from: tchafe1978 on April 10, 2019, 12:36:21 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on April 09, 2019, 07:57:23 PM

If it favors your team, it's great. If it favors the other team, it sucks. Sports, gotta love 'em.

Pretty much, although some of the people complaining were newspaper reporters. I suppose that fits with the media focus these days on inventing imaginary "scandals" to try to attract attention.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.