News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Poll: Who Should Be Awarded The 2026 Winter Olympics This June?

Started by kevinb1994, April 05, 2019, 03:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who Should Be Awarded The 2026 Winter Olympics This June?

Milan(o)
4 (25%)
Stockholm
12 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: June 18, 2019, 03:41:06 PM

kevinb1994

With the rest of the upcoming Olympics already being awarded to Tokyo, Beijing, Paris, and Los Angeles, who will ultimately be awarded the 2026 Winter Olympics this June?

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cjk374

Permanently base the Olympics at Athens, Greece. Have all participating nations pay for upkeep of the new Olympia grounds. That will keep money wasting at a minimum so you don't keep building "Olympic Plazas" that end up as abandoned ghost towns afterwards.

DONE.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

english si

Quote from: cjk374 on April 06, 2019, 09:40:52 AM"Olympic Plazas" that end up as abandoned ghost towns afterwards.
Go visit Stratford sometime...

abefroman329

Alps

Quote from: cjk374 on April 06, 2019, 09:40:52 AM
Permanently base the Olympics at Athens, Greece. Have all participating nations pay for upkeep of the new Olympia grounds. That will keep money wasting at a minimum so you don't keep building "Olympic Plazas" that end up as abandoned ghost towns afterwards.

DONE.
Greece could use the income.

CtrlAltDel

ME!

Permanently base the Olympics at Athens, Greece.
Is the climate of Athens amenable to the winter games?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

bing101

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 06, 2019, 10:35:17 AM
Quote from: english si on April 06, 2019, 10:07:29 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on April 06, 2019, 09:40:52 AM"Olympic Plazas" that end up as abandoned ghost towns afterwards.
And then go visit Atlanta.

Los Angeles is one of a few cities from past Olympics that managed to keep their former Olympic venues active for local team events like the L.A. Coliseum being used for Rams games

english si

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 06, 2019, 10:35:17 AMAnd then go visit Atlanta.
The IOC view Atlanta as an aberration, and massively racked up the weighting they put on legacy when choosing bids (though romanticism won out with Athens, and geography with Beijing and Rio) - one dismal failure shouldn't mean that others can't be allowed to try and make a success of it.

Athens (and any permanent-host Athens facilities would remain as unused outside of every 4 years), Beijing and Rio were somewhat problematic wrt legacy (and Greece and Brazil had far more legacy issues with Euro 04 and World Cup 14 respectively), but again the problem isn't the Olympics persay, but the romantic desire to hold them in places with the finance and culture to build big show-off facilities, but without the finance and culture to use them that much after the party is over. Sydney, Tokyo, Paris, London and LA weren't as fussed about showing off and spending over the odds in their bids - in part because they had facilities already that can be used - because they have the finance and culture to create sporting venues for sports, rather than spectacle.

The notion behind the "just hold it in Athens every time" is the false assumption that Atlanta is the norm, rather than the extreme example of a failure that isn't that common.
Quote from: bing101 on April 06, 2019, 02:40:22 PMLos Angeles is one of a few cities from past Olympics that managed to keep their former Olympic venues active
A few = basically everyone except Atlanta - albeit irregularly in some cities - a once a year athletics trip, or whatever. OK, there's a few sports venues that don't get used again in each city (London and Paris decided temporary stuff - often inside existing venues for concerts/tourism/other sports - was a good idea), but other than Atlanta there hasn't been a games that destroyed the whole lot.

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 06, 2019, 02:14:52 PMIs the climate of Athens amenable to the winter games?
There's definitely ski resorts in the Greek Mountains - probably best near Mount Olympus itself.

Sochi has mild winters, but held the Games not that far away - up in the mountains inland. Beijing is cooler, but the mountains are further away. Athens would have the winter warmth of Sochi, and probably the distance to the snow stuff of Beijing.

Roadgeekteen

DONE.
I would hate that. The Olympics would lose much of their identity.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

oscar

Quote from: bing101 on April 06, 2019, 02:40:22 PM
Los Angeles is one of a few cities from past Olympics that managed to keep their former Olympic venues active for local team events like the L.A. Coliseum being used for Rams games

Wasn't the Coliseum built, and used for USC home games, starting about a decade before its first use as an Olympic site?

Los Angeles managed to avoid the Olympics' usual preference for building brand-new facilities, rather than using existing ones. That was why Los Angeles was such a successful Olympics venue, and well-positioned to host additional summer Olympics.

Not sure how it might be suitable for winter games, though, even with mountains and ski areas not that far from the city.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

bing101

Quote from: oscar on April 06, 2019, 04:05:57 PM
Quote from: bing101 on April 06, 2019, 02:40:22 PM

Wasn't the Coliseum built, and used for USC home games, starting about a decade before its first use as an Olympic site?

Los Angeles managed to avoid the Olympics' usual preference for building brand-new facilities, rather than using existing ones. That was why Los Angeles was such a successful Olympics venue, and well-positioned to host additional summer Olympics.

Not sure how it might be suitable for winter games, though, even with mountains and ski areas not that far from the city.

Your right too L.A. Coliseum has been used for USC home games too during the times the Rams was in Saint Louis though.

cjk374

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 06, 2019, 04:01:00 PM

DONE.

Right now...the way I see it...the identity of the Olympics is that of wasted money by the millions on facilities that are never put to use after the games end. Many times, it is money that is never recouped. Is this the identity the IOC really wants attached to its product?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

TheHighwayMan3561

It's reaching a point where cities are increasingly shying away from bidding because of cost, the corrupt nature of the process, and the facilities issues.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US 89

Salt Lake 2002 is one example of an Olympics that where pretty much all the facilities that were built remain well-used and in good condition. All the venues from the 2002 Olympics could easily be used again, which is why the US Olympic Committee has selected Salt Lake to bid for the 2030 games.
Actually, the only venue that could run into issues is Soldier Hollow for cross-country, and those issues would derive entirely from the potential effects of climate change on a relatively low-elevation site (below 6000 feet). If they really needed to, I'm sure they could do those events up in the Ogden Valley, which is both colder and snowier than Heber.

On the other hand, the city has shown itself to be irresponsible with its Olympic legacy (see the Hoberman Arch debacle), but that seems to be more a function of the incompetence of recent city governments and mayors.

cl94

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 06, 2019, 05:18:39 PM
It's reaching a point where cities are increasingly shying away from bidding because of cost, the corrupt nature of the process, and the facilities issues.

This.

The WINTER Olympics are generally held in wealthier nations with the money and desire to keep facilities running, but several of the recent summer Olympics have abandoned facilities. Atlanta isn't an aberration, but what seems to be the norm for the past 25 years.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cjk374 on April 06, 2019, 05:11:25 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 06, 2019, 04:01:00 PM

DONE.

Right now...the way I see it...the identity of the Olympics is that of wasted money by the millions on facilities that are never put to use after the games end. Many times, it is money that is never recouped. Is this the identity the IOC really wants attached to its product?
You have a point but the Olympics symbolizes world unity. In can be in all countries, rich or poor, communist or capitalist.

Verlanka

When has Stratford ever hosted the Olympics? :hmmm:

jeffandnicole

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 06, 2019, 05:18:39 PM

And security and police costs.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Verlanka on April 07, 2019, 08:23:53 AM

When has Stratford ever hosted the Olympics? :hmmm:

Stratford is part of Greater London.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

english si

Quote from: Verlanka on April 07, 2019, 08:23:53 AMWhen has Stratford ever hosted the Olympics? :hmmm:
2012. "Stratford" is the shorthand for the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park in the British (not just London) media. I don't think I've ever seen it be called "the London Olympic Park" - closest is "the Olympic Park in London", which is rare. Stratford is the normal place name used to describe the cluster of Olympic venues created for the 2012 Olympics.

If, in 2012, NYC had won then saying "go visit New York sometime" wouldn't make as much sense as "go visit Hudson Yards sometime" - ie go to where the stadium would have been (OK, NYC's bid was more spread out with no real clustering - London had 5 venues and the Olympic Village all at Stratford). In the same way "go visit London" wouldn't have made sense.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.