News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Montreal meet

Started by Alps, April 06, 2019, 09:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When?

June 8
5 (50%)
June 15
9 (90%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: June 05, 2019, 09:13:36 PM

oscar

Quote from: cu2010 on July 11, 2019, 06:27:28 PM
Quote from: oscar on July 11, 2019, 04:49:06 PM
Count me in. See ya at noon.

I'll be staying in Malone NY the evenings before and after the meet. If the meet runs long (after 6pm), I might need to peel away early, to make it back to Malone before it gets dark. Both of the nearby border crossings are open 24/7, but I hate night driving in unfamiliar territory.

It is actually considerably quicker- and only 10 miles longer- to cross at Champlain (Hwy 15/I-87) and take US11 back to Malone... and those are far better roads. Probably a much better option when late.

Plus, the Champlain crossing is more heavily used and you'd be considerably less likely to be secondaried there. As cl94 said, most of the small crossings between Cornwall/Massena and Champlain/Blackpool are little used and thus the border guards are more than likely to interrogate you as they have nothing better to do.

That's not what happened today. For both crossings, questioning lasted two minutes or less, not even a casual peek into the passenger compartment or trunk.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

2 minutes?  Heck, my trip back across (via A-55/I-91) took all of 15 seconds at the booth.  Spent longer waiting for traffic in front of me.

cl94

My crossing to the US today at US 11 was interesting. 5 cars ahead of me when I got there, I waited 10-15 minutes. I got roughly 90 seconds of grilling about why I crossed there instead of I-87. Easily the hardest return I've had to the US since I got NEXUS. But hey, I have that straggling section of US 11 clinched and I no longer feel the need to qualify my clinch of New York with an asterisk.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

cl94

Thanks to Dr Frankenstein for hosting this meet. I don't know about everyone else, but I thought the meet went quite well despite the unannounced closures and traffic jams. Good stops that provided great views of the bridges.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

oscar

Here are two of my three meet group photos. Both were taken on the east bank of the St. Lawrence River, on opposite sides of the new and old Champlain bridges carrying Autoroutes 10, 15, and 20 across the river.

View of the new and old bridges from downstream. From left to right, ___, Mike (D.C.), Josh (NY), Doug (NY), Connor (MA), Carl (QC, meet organizer), Adam (VT), Oscar (VA).

View of the old and new bridges from upstream. From left to right, Connor, Mike, Doug, Carl, Josh, ___, Adam, Oscar.

It was a good meet, though weekend roadwork made traffic a mess on both sides of the river, and road closures forced some last-minute itinerary changes. Adam, Mike and I peeled away at the third stop (view of the bridges from the west bank of the river, on Ile de Souers), while the others pressed on to some of the rest of the original itinerary.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.