News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Running, hiking and cycling highways

Started by Max Rockatansky, May 30, 2019, 12:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

This is an offshoot if the "Running Journal"  thread but one I've found myself partaking in frequently with running and hiking.  Some of the roads I've spent a considerable amount of time running and/or hiking are as follows:

-  US 70 in Alamogordo and Ruidoso
-  NM 48 in Ruidoso
-  AZ 89A and 179 around Sedona
-  Old US 91/466 in Las Vegas
-  Various abandoned segments of US 66 in California and Arizona
-  The 1914 NOTR alignment through Cajon Pass
-  Old US 99 on Old Ridge Route/Ridge Route Alternate
-  CA 75
-  CA 43
-  The Old Colony Mill Road
-  Blackrock Road
-  Old Wawona Road
-  Old Big Oak Flat Road
-  Numerous segments of CA 1 throughout California
-  US 101 over the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco
-  US 1 in the Florida Keys
-  Former US 1/FL 4A in the Keys. 

Bruce

I've been tracking my bikeshare rides around Seattle for a while, and I'm just a few sections short of clinching much of State Route 520. Also spent time biking along I-90, because the floating bridge section is a lot of fun.

Eth

I've clinched a couple of short routes on foot: Atlanta's GA 42 Conn and GA 154 Conn. I also have portions of every US route passing through Atlanta (19, 23, 29, 41, 78, and 278), plus bits of GA 10, 154, 155, and 260 separate from those.

Looks like I may have picked up about a block of US 41A during a race in Nashville and I think I still have a block or two of US 1 in downtown Miami that didn't get moved onto I-95.

thspfc

I've got some to add: WI-42 and WI-57 in Door County WI (only north of Sturgeon bay otherwise it's too busy), as well as any county/local road on the Door Peninsula.

Hurricane Rex

I have clinched 1 routes while running but I have been on a good chunk of them. The lone clinch is I have clinched WA 285 in Wenatchee you call that I highway.

Significant percentage of time in area:
OR 99W in Corvallis and mp 9 to 18 (second portion expressway)
OR 34 from the bottom of the pass to Riverside road (mp 54-60, then 50-56, then 0-4)
US 20 for 60% of the distance to Albany from Corvallis.
US 101 in Newport
OR 141

Planning to run on I-205 soon. Still might chicken on that.

SM-J737T

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

kevinb1994

Quote from: thspfc on June 16, 2019, 08:06:26 AM
I've got some to add: WI-42 and WI-57 in Door County WI (only north of Sturgeon bay otherwise it's too busy), as well as any county/local road on the Door Peninsula.
Jim Morrison would have approved, lol.

Eth

Quote from: Eth on May 30, 2019, 06:42:58 PM
I've clinched a couple of short routes on foot: Atlanta's GA 42 Conn and GA 154 Conn. I also have portions of every US route passing through Atlanta (19, 23, 29, 41, 78, and 278), plus bits of GA 10, 154, 155, and 260 separate from those.

Looks like I may have picked up about a block of US 41A during a race in Nashville and I think I still have a block or two of US 1 in downtown Miami that didn't get moved onto I-95.

Since posting this I've added a few miles each of WA 99 and I-5 in Seattle during a race there.

Alps

Non-motorized clinches: VT 26 (crabwalk), NJ 59 (walk)... yeaaaah

Hurricane Rex

Forgot one route:

OR 18 during the play on the bypass event. Ran every foot they would let us run on.

Accidently posted in running journals before deletion.

SM-J737T

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

formulanone

I've clinched Florida's SR 800, SR 26A, and Mississippi Highway 702 on foot...I never found that 702 sign.

gonealookin

I'll tell you some I can't recommend for bicyclists:  the circumnavigation of Lake Tahoe on US 50, CA 89 and CA/NV 28.  It might look appealing but there's a lot of traffic, tourists checking out the scenery rather than the road ahead of them, and too many places where there are just inches between the fog line and the guard rail.

There's a long-term plan to build an off-road paved bike path all the way around the lake.  A new segment, which has been under construction for about three years, opens this coming week.  It runs from the old "Ponderosa Ranch" (former Bonanza TV show sets at the southeast end of Incline Village, NV) to Sand Harbor State Park a few miles south on NV 28.  Completing the full circuit of the lake would be decades and a hell of a lot of money away though; there are topographical constraints, environmental issues relating to the construction, and private property obstacles.

For longer day rides I usually throw my bike in the car and go "off the hill" to the Carson Valley, Washoe Valley between Carson City and Reno, Smith Valley east of the Pine Nut Mountains or various other places out here in the Nevada semi-desert east and south of Reno and Carson City.  Lots of well-maintained state highways out there with little traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.