News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recently Built Cloverleaf Interchanges

Started by Beltway, June 08, 2019, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

There was a discussion about how few cloverleaf interchanges were being built in recent years, due to the problems with the weaving in the auxiliary lane between two loop ramps, an issue that still exists albeit reduced with the loops intercepting on a collector-distributor roadway.

How about a list of recently built cloverleaf interchanges?

Here are a few that I can think of, that have at least one loop-to-loop auxiliary lane.

VA-288 beltway -- 2005
-- VA-76 Powhite Parkway
-- US-60 Midlothian Turnpike
-- VA-6 Patterson Avenue
-- Tuckahoe Creek Parkway
All these seem to have ample length auxiliary lanes.

I-540
-- I-40 - 1997
-- Airport Parkway - 1997
NC-540
-- US-64 - 2012
-- US-1 - 2012

I-85 Greensboro
-- US-220/I-73 - 2004
-- US-421 - 2004

Others around the country in the last 20 years?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Roadsguy

I'm pretty sure Pennsylvania's newest cloverleaf is the I-70/PA Turnpike 43 interchange in Washington County. It opened with the first section of 43 in 1990 as a trumpet with stubs and grading to be converted into a cloverleaf, but the full cloverleaf wasn't complete until 2001 when the next section of 43 opened. The second-newest would be the US 119/PA Turnpike 66 interchange, similarly built as a trumpet with cloverleaf stubs in the 1970s but completed in the early 1990s when PA Turnpike 66 opened.

EDIT: Actually, by this definition, the newest and second-newest cloverleaves in the state are the US 202/PA 611 interchange in Doylestown and the US 22/PA 33 interchange west of Easton, fully completed in 2012 and 2002 with the opening of the US 202 parkway and PA 33 extension to I-78, respectively. These were built as complete but unopened cloverleaves, though, and both earlier than the first two I mentioned.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

1995hoo

If you're willing to fudge "20 years" a little bit, I know there's one cloverleaf on the Dulles Greenway (opened 1995, IIRC) at its interchange with Old Ox Road (secondary Route 606). There are no C/D roads there.

I don't know when the cloverleaf at Claiborne Parkway and VA-7 in Loudoun County was built. It certainly wasn't there when I was a kid.

There's a relatively new one on VA-28 at Air and Space Museum Parkway; the museum opened in late 2003 and the interchange was built a little while before that. VA-28 has C/D roads at that one.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 08, 2019, 02:42:31 PM
If you're willing to fudge "20 years" a little bit, I know there's one cloverleaf on the Dulles Greenway (opened 1995, IIRC) at its interchange with Old Ox Road (secondary Route 606). There are no C/D roads there.

In Maryland on MD-200 InterCounty Connector, opened 2011, I see two.
-- Eastbound MD-200 at US-29, no C-D
-- I-95 full cloverleaf, C-Ds on I-95 and no C-Ds on MD-200

(Robert Coté, 2002)

froggie

^ Not sure if I'd count the ICC ones.  ICC/29 is not a full cloverleaf (no loops in the NW or NE quadrants), while the SE quadrant loop is access to Briggs Chaney and not NB 29.  While the ICC/95 interchange technically is, the SE quadrant loop is for access to Konterra.  There's a dedicated flyover for the EB ICC to NB 95.

As to your OP, there are two full cloverleaves in Minnesota from the past decade:

US 169/MN 610 in 2011.
I-35/US 14 in 2012.

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on June 08, 2019, 09:40:59 PM
Not sure if I'd count the ICC ones.  ICC/29 is not a full cloverleaf (no loops in the NW or NE quadrants), while the SE quadrant loop is access to Briggs Chaney and not NB 29.  While the ICC/95 interchange technically is, the SE quadrant loop is for access to Konterra.  There's a dedicated flyover for the EB ICC to NB 95.

That is why I said, have at least one loop-to-loop auxiliary lane, where the cloverleaf weaving condition would exist.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

wanderer2575

The M-6/US-131 interchange in Cutlerville (south of Grand Rapids) is a full cloverleaf with C/D lanes in all four directions that also incorporates braided ramps on the south side for the US-131/68th Street interchange.  This opened in late 2004.
https://goo.gl/maps/YDe9Dd6Yh12skFuC6

sprjus4

• I-64 at VA-168 Battlefield Blvd in Chesapeake, VA. Granted, there was a previous cloverleaf here, though it was reconstructed in 2008 to have larger loops, longer ramps, and a C/D roadway. A lot of cloverleaf reconstruction projects nowadays involve removing two of the loops and replacing them with left turning movements, though this one did not.

• Pushing 20 years a little, but three of interchanges on the southern stretch of I-664 built in 1991 were built as full cloverleaf interchanges with no C/D roadways. VA-337 Portsmouth Blvd, VA-164 Western Freeway, and VA-135 College Dr.

• VA-168 at VA-168 Business Battlefield Blvd in Chesapeake, VA. The interchange was partially constructed for a full buildout when the Great Bridge Bypass ended here in 1980, though when the freeway extension to I-64 / I-464 / US-17 was completed in 1999, the interchange was completed in original 80s design rather than modified to redesign it. And as seen today, that was a mistake. Daily traffic problems & backups now exist here due to weaving, and large amounts of vehicles entering the highway during rush hour, short acceleration time, and the overall geometric design of the interchange area.

• VA-168 at Hanbury Rd in Chesapeake, VA. When the interchange was completed in 1998, the movement from VA-168 North to Hanbury Rd West was accomplished by exiting the freeway then turning left. Around 2005ish, the City of Chesapeake constructed a new loop ramp to handle this movement, which created a weaving movement with the Hanbury Rd East to VA-168 North ramp. No traffic problems & backups really occur here due to it though, and while it was nice to eliminate the traffic signal on Hanbury Rd, I would've been perfectly fine with leaving the interchange the way it was. There really wasn't any issues with the exiting, waiting at the light, and turning left movement.

• US-264 at US-264 / Greenville Western Bypass in Greenville, NC. The interchange was partially completed in 1993 - 1994 with the northern portion of the Greenville Western Bypass. The southern portion of this bypass is slated to open to traffic at the end of the year, and that would complete the full cloverleaf, which doesn't have C/D roads.

• US-264 at I-95 near Wilson, NC. When the US-264 freeway was constructed through this area in 2003, a full cloverleaf with C/D roads on I-95, though not on US-264, was constructed.

• I-74 at I-95 near Lumberton, NC. I-74 was constructed through here in 2007, and constructed a full cloverleaf interchange with I-95. I-74 does not have C/D roads, though I-95 does.

• There's been talks of realigning Future I-42 / US-70 and I-95 near Selma, NC to construct a full interchange which currently does not exist, and the conceptual designs for that have a full cloverleaf being constructed. Granted, this was preliminary designs and definitely not finalized. Not to mention, it doesn't even exist yet if ever. But it just goes to show more cloverleafs may be coming in the future.

sparker

Two in northern MS, both involving I-269:  (1) Hernando, MS: I-55 (through N-S), I-69 (west shifting to north, NB via loop), I-269 (extending east).  (2) Byhalia, MS: I-269 (SW/NE) and I-22 (NW/SE); official western terminus of I-22.  Hernando completed ca. 2006; Byhalia ca. 2017.

pianocello

Another Michigan example: I-69 and US 127 (then US 27) was finished in 1998. This one has full C/D ramps on both roads.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

hbelkins

When the Natcher Parkway was extended from I-65 to US 231, that interchange was converted from a trumpet to a full cloverleaf with C/D lanes on I-65.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

US 27 and FL 50 in Clermont is a recently built cloverleaf to replace a diamond exchange there.  Usually its the other way around, and why FDOT did not opt for a SPUI there one will never know.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Tom958

I-85 at GA 20, 1998, with CD's on 85 but not on 20. It's pretty outmoded, too, due to heavy volumes on the 85 north to 20 west loop ramp. The recent toll lanes project on 85 also added an auxiliary lane over a mile long in advance of the exit from northbound 85, which is useful mainly as storage for vehicles waiting to take that ramp.

TheStranger

I don't even think California has had a new cloverleaf interchange since the 1970s, maybe I-5 at Florin Road in Sacramento or I-5 at Route 132 near Vernalis early in that decade is the most "recent" but most freeway-to-surface road cloverleaf junctions have been converted to parclos since.  (I remember when the US 50/Watt Avenue interchange was converted ca. 2013-2014, removing the last full cloverleaf entirely from US 50 west of MO 350/I-470 in Lee's Summit, MO (though there is a partially-filled cloverleaf with K-14 in Hutchison, KS))

The Bay Area's last new full cloverleafs are probably also 70s in origin (I-680 at McKee, Berreyssa, Landess/Montague, Route 237, Route 262).

The San Diego area thus offers the newest related interchanges, but all are 3/4 cloverleafs:
The I-15/Route 52 interchange near Miramar NCAS almost counts but has one flyover ramp (EB 52 to NB 15).  C/D lanes on I-15 and on westbound 52.  Similarly, I-5 and I-805's junctions with Route 905 are also 3/4 cloverleafs with a flyover ramp.

Chris Sampang

triplemultiplex

US 53/WI 29 opened in 2004.

Prior to that, one would need to go back to about 1990 for the opening of the current I-43/WI 23 interchange to find a 'recent' full cloverleaf in Wisconsin.

We strangely have very few in this state: 5.  (6 if one counts that abomination at I-43 and Brown Deer Rd)  Few compared to our neighbors, at least.
Though one of those is in the process of getting replaced with a more modern junction.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Big John

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 21, 2019, 03:14:58 PM

Prior to that, one would need to go back to about 1990 for the opening of the current I-43/WI 23 interchange to find a 'recent' full cloverleaf in Wisconsin.

That was opened around 1980.

Gnutella

Quote from: Tom958 on June 12, 2019, 07:16:06 AM
I-85 at GA 20, 1998, with CD's on 85 but not on 20. It's pretty outmoded, too, due to heavy volumes on the 85 north to 20 west loop ramp. The recent toll lanes project on 85 also added an auxiliary lane over a mile long in advance of the exit from northbound 85, which is useful mainly as storage for vehicles waiting to take that ramp.

The on- and off-ramps for I-85 southbound have a lot of sharp curves too, especially near GA 20.

berberry

I don't think Mississippi has built any in recent years, but the two newest full clovers do have protection for one of the routes (newest as far as I know; they date back to the 90s). I-55 and Canton's Nissan Parkway is a full cloverleaf with CD protection for 55, and the CDs at the full cloverleaf in Waynesboro, US Hwys 45 and 84, protect 84.

I could be confused about the chronology, actually, but if my memory is correct those two interchanges were built after the full clover at I-20 and US 45 near Meridian, and what was at the tine of construction a full clover at US 45 and 78 in Tupelo, both of which have no CD lanes.

froggie

^ You're right on your chronology.  I distinctly remember 45/84 in Waynesboro being built...I was stationed in Meridian at the time.  Didn't fully open until 2001.  I-55/Nissan was a little more recent than that...2003ish.

triplemultiplex

Mississippi has one of the newest full clovers anywhere.  I-22/I-269 opened last year.
And I-55/I-69/269; that was the early 00's, right?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

sprjus4

Quote from: berberry on June 25, 2019, 04:29:22 PM
I don't think Mississippi has built any in recent years, but the two newest full clovers do have protection for one of the routes (newest as far as I know; they date back to the 90s). I-55 and Canton's Nissan Parkway is a full cloverleaf with CD protection for 55, and the CDs at the full cloverleaf in Waynesboro, US Hwys 45 and 84, protect 84.

I could be confused about the chronology, actually, but if my memory is correct those two interchanges were built after the full clover at I-20 and US 45 near Meridian, and what was at the tine of construction a full clover at US 45 and 78 in Tupelo, both of which have no CD lanes.
I-269 / I-22 opened last year, as triplemultiplex noted. Probably one of the newest in the country. That has full C/D lanes on both facilities, but it's still a full cloverleaf configuration.

berberry

Thanks for the info, guys. Next time I go to Memphis I'll check that out.

froggie

Quote from: triplemultiplexAnd I-55/I-69/269; that was the early 00's, right?

Opened to the west in 2006.  The 269 leg, as noted, didn't open until last year.

Phone_Harold

I think I 44 -- Bailey Turnpike and Oklahoma 4 counts.  The GPS location is 35.2178628,-97.7142441.

kphoger

Quote from: Phone_Harold on June 27, 2019, 11:59:28 PM
I think I 44 -- Bailey Turnpike and Oklahoma 4 counts.  The GPS location is 35.2178628,-97.7142441.

That was 2001, right?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.