News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Achille, OK: Storage Business Sign With Large Circle Route Marker

Started by Brian556, August 27, 2019, 12:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

I dunno if this has been mentioned on here before, but there is a storage business that utilizes a large circular state route marker as part of their business sign in Achille, OK:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8332741,-96.387753,3a,61.1y,184.22h,83.65t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEl4L-QLfWHK0tWE1ppJZHg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

In_Correct

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

bugo

Looks like the Meat Cleaver Crew hasn't gotten to this one yet.

rte66man

The bigger question is what on earth were you doing in Achille? On your way from the new Carpenters Bluff bridge perhaps?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

The Ghostbuster

Was the Oklahoma town Achille named after the Greek Mythology Hero Achilles? If so, why did they leave the s of the end of the name of the town?

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

motorola870

Quote from: bugo on August 27, 2019, 06:24:09 AM

well Oklahoma moved to the state outline several years ago on a white background no use to them now.

ozarkman417

Quote from: motorola870 on August 27, 2019, 08:55:17 PM
Quote from: bugo on August 27, 2019, 06:24:09 AM

well Oklahoma moved to the state outline several years ago on a white background no use to them now.

Three markers. https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8331648,-96.3877477,3a,15y,111.82h,89.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stT6r-2RT14gyfxA_L06ddw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
Also, is it just an Oklahoma thing to have even numbered routes go north/south, or is it because of the Texas Route 78 it connects to?
EDIT: looking at a map of OK's state routes, Oklahoma does seem to do the opposite of what most of the country does with their route numbers.

Bobby5280

It's somewhat common for some local businesses to incorporate the highway on which they're located into their business name. Here's one in Snyder, OK:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.667211,-98.9516773,3a,75y,159.88h,101.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAd-sVdF2wpJr6VQj61z60w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

kphoger

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 27, 2019, 09:39:43 PM
Also, is it just an Oklahoma thing to have even numbered routes go north/south, or is it because of the Texas Route 78 it connects to?

EDIT: looking at a map of OK's state routes, Oklahoma does seem to do the opposite of what most of the country does with their route numbers.

Texas doesn't do the whole EW=even NS=odd thing either, and that's a rather large neighbor to Oklahoma.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Do you one better: here's a business south of Blanchard with a diamond "route marker".

Quote from: ozarkman417 on August 27, 2019, 09:39:43 PM

Yes and no. The original system from the 20s was more or less that way, and a lot of additions since then have been...but not all of them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

rte66man

Quote from: kphoger on August 27, 2019, 04:28:37 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 27, 2019, 04:13:40 PM
Was the Oklahoma town Achille named after the Greek Mythology Hero Achilles?

No.  It's Cherokee.

Bonus points if you can correctly pronounce it.  The weather people butcher it on a regular basis.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Road Hog

Quote from: rte66man on August 29, 2019, 09:38:39 AM

No.  It's Cherokee.

Bonus points if you can correctly pronounce it.  The weather people butcher it on a regular basis.
The news people don't because they get a lot of practice. Achille is regularly in the news for city councilmen getting arrested for meth, or police chiefs caught stealing from the evidence locker, or something else along those lines.

Scott5114

Quote from: Road Hog on August 29, 2019, 11:20:07 AM
Quote from: rte66man on August 29, 2019, 09:38:39 AM

No.  It's Cherokee.

The news people don't because they get a lot of practice. Achille is regularly in the news for city councilmen getting arrested for meth, or police chiefs caught stealing from the evidence locker, or something else along those lines.

I believe that was also the town where a bunch of grown adults bullied a transgender child on Facebook to the point it ran the family out of town.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

dchristy

That sign has been there at least 15 years.  Also, the speed limits in that town are strictly enforced, even more so than in most small towns in that part of the state.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Bobby5280

ozarkman417

I drive up I-44 between Springfield & St. Louis frequently and there are many businesses with "Route 66" or "I-44" in their names.
I'm sure these businesses (mainly restaurants) are named that way to attract customers on the highway or bait them in to thinking it's something authentic. One example is a Route 66 Cafe that serves very soggy, greasy & tasteless food.

US71

Quote from: ozarkman417 on September 15, 2019, 07:26:09 PM
I drive up I-44 between Springfield & St. Louis frequently and there are many businesses with "Route 66" or "I-44" in their names.
I'm sure these businesses (mainly restaurants) are named that way to attract customers on the highway or bait them in to thinking it's something authentic. One example is a Route 66 Cafe that serves very soggy, greasy & tasteless food.

But then you have the Route 66 Drive-In at Carthage, MO , also the 66 Drive-In at Springfield, IL

bwana39

Quote from: dchristy on September 08, 2019, 07:59:36 AM
That sign has been there at least 15 years.  Also, the speed limits in that town are strictly enforced, even more so than in most small towns in that part of the state.

They are only closely enforced if you have Texas plates..... Closely is an understatement by the way.  Going North, there is even a pull off place for the tickets to be written and the officer to pull a turn around.

At one point, if you showed up for court (with cash only) they let you pay half of the mail in amount.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

US71

Quote from: bwana39 on April 21, 2020, 05:27:18 PM
Quote from: dchristy on September 08, 2019, 07:59:36 AM

They are only closely enforced if you have Texas plates..... Closely is an understatement by the way.  Going North, there is even a pull off place for the tickets to be written and the officer to pull a turn around.

At one point, if you showed up for court (with cash only) they let you pay half of the mail in amount.

Better than Barling, AR : there's a "court date", but court is never held. You simply pay your fine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.