News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 28, 2021, 01:02:24 PM
I try to time bowel movements for when I am at home

Wow, that's even a possibility?  I go to the bathroom whenever I feel like poop wants to come out.  I don't have much control over when it wants to come out.

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 28, 2021, 01:02:24 PM
to avoid feeding other people's curiosity about how far off the rails I may be in terms of diet.  (As an example:  a stool that smells of burnt coffee is often a sign of constipation.)

I quite sure nobody at my work cares what sort of diet I'm eating, and I very surely don't care what sort of diet they're eating.  Do you have any evidence that people might be thinking such things about you?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2021, 01:57:32 PMWow, that's even a possibility?  I go to the bathroom whenever I feel like poop wants to come out.  I don't have much control over when it wants to come out.

Yes, it's a possibility.  The key is to orchestrate things so that the urge arrives at a consistent time of day.  An approach that works for some, not all, is to keep fiber intake at a high level that varies little from day to day (if you get 100% of the fiber RDA on a daily basis, you are ahead of 95% to 97% of Americans), maintain good hydration, and sleep at roughly the same time each day.

Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2021, 01:57:32 PMI quite sure nobody at my work cares what sort of diet I'm eating, and I very surely don't care what sort of diet they're eating.  Do you have any evidence that people might be thinking such things about you?

I've been part of conversations where it was noted that raw garlic could be smelled not just in the eater's feces, but also his urine, and that pork adds greatly to the stink of a stool.  None of this has been in the context of humiliating someone who has just defecated--aside from being grossly improper, this is bullying--but it does testify that what happens to food in the GI tract is a matter of intellectual interest at the very least.

For the avoidance of doubt, I should say that I don't think the goal should necessarily be to produce a stool that doesn't smell.  I am interested in life patterns that preserve good GI function as long as possible, and for a large share of the population, I suspect (but have not empirically verified) that these correspond to stools that stink more than might otherwise be the case.  If it is a problem that bathroom smells bother other people, then I think that should be mitigated through better odor handling rather than through efforts to address the smell at the source that might be counterproductive in terms of health.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 28, 2021, 03:06:50 PM

Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2021, 01:57:32 PM
Wow, that's even a possibility?  I go to the bathroom whenever I feel like poop wants to come out.  I don't have much control over when it wants to come out.

Yes, it's a possibility.  The key is to orchestrate things so that the urge arrives at a consistent time of day.  An approach that works for some, not all, is to keep fiber intake at a high level that varies little from day to day (if you get 100% of the fiber RDA on a daily basis, you are ahead of 95% to 97% of Americans), maintain good hydration, and sleep at roughly the same time each day.

Oh, I have fairly regular stools.  That is to say, they are consistent.  I generally have to go about an hour or two after I arrive at work.  I assumed you were saying you could time them to hit at, say, early evening instead.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 28, 2021, 03:06:50 PM
I've been part of conversations where it was noted that raw garlic could be smelled not just in the eater's feces, but also his urine, and that pork adds greatly to the stink of a stool.

Garlic can also be detected in the body odor/sweat of those who ingest it in significant amounts as well. Years ago, at the community newspaper where I worked, we also had a TMC publication (a "shopper") in which the inserts were placed by hand in the publication. A number of those who were contracted to do the inserting were heavy garlic eaters. When they were all congregated in one area for a couple of hours, their smell permeated the building, drifting up from the basement where they were working to the first floor where our offices were. The smell was overwhelming -- and, much like marijuana smoke, caused me to have headaches. Even today, with my various nasal allergy issues, I can smell a garlic eater when I get near them.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JoePCool14

Quote from: kphoger on July 28, 2021, 12:26:34 PM
The trend of removing capital letters from corporate logos/names.

I can expand this to anyone who thinks only using lowercase letters is "cool" and "hip". This is common in people who turn off auto-correct on their phones.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Takumi

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 28, 2021, 04:19:01 PM

I can expand this to anyone who thinks only using lowercase letters is "cool" and "hip". This is common in people who turn off auto-correct on their phones.
It was cool in 1995.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kphoger

Quote from: Takumi on July 28, 2021, 04:49:52 PM

It was cool in 1995.

On mIRC, no less.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

The popularity of lower-case letters can be explained thusly:

WHICH OF THESE SENTENCES APPEARS MORE AGGRESSIVE
which of these sentences appears more aggressive

JoePCool14

Quote from: jakeroot on July 28, 2021, 05:13:21 PM
The popularity of lower-case letters can be explained thusly:

WHICH OF THESE SENTENCES APPEARS MORE AGGRESSIVE
which of these sentences appears more aggressive

That's what I was thinking. Corporations gotta appear more "friendly". As for individual people typing like that, it's more common with girls than guys, and that's no coincidence either.

CtrlAltDel

That doesn't bother me as much as the blandification of logos does. Almost nothing, in my opinion, looks good in a bold sans serif font:

That said, that last logo, despite its similarity to the others, was so poorly received that it only lasted in the wild for about a month. A rare victory.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Scott5114

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 28, 2021, 05:30:06 PM

That doesn't bother me as much as the blandification of logos does. Almost nothing, in my opinion, looks good in a bold sans serif font:

---

That said, that last logo, despite its similarity to the others, was so poorly received that it only lasted in the wild for about a month. A rare victory.

This is due almost totally to the rise of smartphones and thus smaller display sizes that are less accommodating of graphical frills. Case in point:

Generally, I find that only using lowercase letters imparts a more casual tone. If I post here in all-lowercase, for instance, that is generally a sign that I am trying to make a joke without being too obvious about it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 28, 2021, 07:00:56 PM

Generally, I find that only using lowercase letters imparts a more casual tone. If I post here in all-lowercase, for instance, that is generally a sign that I am trying to make a joke without being too obvious about it.

That's completely true. Meme culture thrives off of different text formatting.

you could be like this

O R L I K E T H I S

oR eVEn LIkE tHiSssSS!

That's all well and good, but I don't care for it when people use all lowercase for no good reason. :sombrero:

SSOWorld

Or JuSt AlTeRnAtInG cAsE fOr ThE LoLs.  (I sEe ThAt WoRkEd OuT pErFeCtLy!)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

CtrlAltDel

This is due almost totally to the rise of smartphones and thus smaller display sizes that are less accommodating of graphical frills. Case in point:

That's what they say, but I'm pretty sure it's just a trend. Time will tell, I guess.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Big John

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 28, 2021, 08:42:53 PM
Or JuSt AlTeRnAtInG cAsE fOr ThE LoLs.  (I sEe ThAt WoRkEd OuT pErFeCtLy!)
espn2 in 1994.

hotdogPi

Getting back on topic: Example_username posts something trollish and irrelevant. I report, it gets removed in 15 minutes. A few hours later, Example_username posts something similar, and the thread is now completely derailed. (Not this thread!) Shouldn't you have figured it out the first time, or are you trying to get the thread locked? Doing so when people have already stated "I don't know how long this thread will last" is not a good idea.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on July 28, 2021, 09:39:33 PM
Getting back on topic: Example_username posts something trollish and irrelevant. I report, it gets removed in 15 minutes. A few hours later, Example_username posts something similar, and the thread is now completely derailed. (Not this thread!) Shouldn't you have figured it out the first time, or are you trying to get the thread locked? Doing so when people have already stated "I don't know how long this thread will last" is not a good idea.

I'm pretty sure that the person in question only posts here nowadays to derail threads into a lock.  It's too bad because even though that has always been a thing they also used to post meaningful historic content that I found useful.

Scott5114

If you see posts get deleted that means stop talking about what was being talked about in those posts.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 28, 2021, 09:28:16 PM

That's what they say, but I'm pretty sure it's just a trend. Time will tell, I guess.

It is probably (hopefully) just a fad. It's similar to how we went from skew-morphism design to flat design, and then we'll end up going back again. Or glossy to flat to glossy. Anything to keep things looking different.

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 28, 2021, 11:16:46 PM
If you see posts get deleted that means stop talking about what was being talked about in those posts.

Purple and bold, things gettin' serious now!  :wow:

tolbs17

What bothers me is my new crown feels funny.

Takumi

When people continuously feed trolls.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 28, 2021, 11:35:31 PM
What bothers me is my new crown feels funny.
Either put that in the dentist thread or you don't need to share every detail of your life on the forum.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kkt

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 27, 2021, 12:49:36 PM
Quote from: thspfc on July 25, 2021, 10:50:51 PMI'm not sure what the term for this is. But people trying to be too nice always makes me want to punch a wall. In most situations it is a minor thing:

Other person: "Which restaurant do you want to go to?"

Me: *thinks about it* "Let's go to restaurant A."

Other person: "Are you sure you don't want to go to restaurant B? We were thinking about going to restaurant B."

If your decision is made then don't give me an open ended question to think about. Simply asking "Do you want to go to restaurant B?" makes things much easier.

I personally don't think of this as being "too nice"--it's really an example of bait and switch, though I realize that in context, the motivation is often to avoid feeling responsible for inflicting a personal preference on the group.

Quote from: thspfc on July 25, 2021, 10:50:51 PMThere are situations, though, where trying to be too nice is a major thing, and not in a good way. For example, if the first office of a plane is too afraid to offend or annoy the pilot, he might not speak up urgently enough if he notices an issue, which can lead to disaster. That's an extreme example for sure, but it does happen.

This is thought to have contributed to the Tenerife airport disaster in 1976 (still considered the deadliest aviation accident in history).

Yes, and it did lead to training all the flight crew to speak up if they thought the pilot in control was making a mistake, and pilots in control to listen to them.  Like a lot of aviation disasters, there were a lot of contributing factors, but the last real chance to avoid the accident was the 1st officer asking "Hey, did the tower actually clear us to take off?" while the captain just shut him up saying "Yes.  Taking off."

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 28, 2021, 11:16:46 PM

This. This means one of my favorite threads is going to be locked and I'm going to really miss it. So please, seriously, stop.

But at least this one has managed to reach page 100 (using the forum standard of 25 posts per page). I initially thought it was going to be locked quickly.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jakeroot

Quote from: JoePCool14 on July 28, 2021, 11:32:53 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on July 28, 2021, 09:28:16 PM

It is probably (hopefully) just a fad. It's similar to how we went from skew-morphism design to flat design, and then we'll end up going back again. Or glossy to flat to glossy. Anything to keep things looking different.

Skeuomorphism was not so much a design option as it was a design requirement for the time. It bridged the gap between real life and virtual. That gap, arguably, has long closed; most people have experience with touchscreens, smartphones, etc. With that being the case, there is no longer any advantage to skeuomorphism in the traditional sense, and going back to it serves little functional purpose. Many of the emulated objects are just as unfamiliar to today's users as the smartphone was to the average person 15 years ago. Additionally, many applications and uses for modern smartphones have no physical counterpart; how does one have a skeuomorphic UX when most applications have nothing physical to emulate? If the past is anything to go by, we end up with an overly glossy, drop shadow-heavy, 3D-ish user interface that succeeds only at feeling overdesigned.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.