News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that annoy you-sports edition

Started by texaskdog, January 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Yes they still pay the NFL to do it. 

texaskdog

Fans that put their hands on top of their head in frustration

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: texaskdog on January 04, 2020, 07:13:28 PM

The world would be a lot more interesting if people acted like they do at sports events.  I could imagine some idiot rolling into work in his Bill's wife beater (referring to what I think you just saw in the Bills/Texans game) and flipping out at every little thing that went wrong during the day. 

texaskdog

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 04, 2020, 07:21:28 PM

The world would be a lot more interesting if people acted like they do at sports events.  I could imagine some idiot rolling into work in his Bill’s wife beater (referring to what I think you just saw in the Bills/Texans game) and flipping out at every little thing that went wrong during the day. 

Genius

Brandon

Like this (at 0:14)?  :bigass:

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

texaskdog

It's like the cameras just look for these people  I've never in my life done this watching a game

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Big John on January 03, 2020, 09:14:14 PM
Dealing from stadium calls, the Vikings horn whenever a play is made

Take that back right this second.

SSOWorld

Quote from: texaskdog on January 04, 2020, 10:34:46 PM
It's like the cameras just look for these people  I've never in my life done this watching a game
Obligatory Owner Shot.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

texaskdog

If I didn't mention before, icing the kicker  Statistically it makes no difference (if anything it often gives them a practice kick) but coaches can't help themselves.  All it does is wastes time.

Effectiveness[edit]

In their book Scorecasting, Tobias J. Moskowitz and L. Jon Wertheim analyzed "pressure"  kicks from 2001 through 2009 while controlling for the distance of the field-goal attempt. They found that icing the kicker certainly does not produce the desired effect, and in some cases might even backfire. Moskowitz found that when an opposing coach iced the kicker with 15 seconds or fewer left to go in the game, those kickers tended to be more accurate.

Beltway

Gives them a practice kick from scrimmage under pressure, at that ...

Overtime!
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

formulanone

I've always thought that icing the kicker should lead to a four-point field goal, if they should make through the uprights a second time.

That would probably end that annoying practice very quickly.

texaskdog

Ha ha well usually it's to end the game anyway.

mgk920

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 01, 2020, 08:53:17 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 01, 2020, 08:38:09 PM
Not limited to sports:  The pouncing on a specific instance in the name of political correctness while ignoring other similar situations.

Sports example:  The self-indulgent protests over the Washington Redskins' team name, while the Kansas City Chiefs and its Tomahawk Chop are for the most part nowhere near the PC flavor of the day and therefore they're okay.

Suffice to say that the term "Red Skin or Redskin"  has really aged poorly given it essentially racist slang for describing a Native American.  A team carrying the name of "Chiefs"  really isn't all that disrespect taken in that singular context.  It probably doesn't hurt the Chiefs that their logo is simply an arrow.  There was a wave of controversy for awhile on the college level but a lot of those teams were named after specific tribes.  If I recall correctly some schools like Florida State even got the blessing from the Seminole Tribe to use their name and likeness.

And yet, the ultra-PC cops made the University of North Dakota change their nickname from the 'Fighting Sioux' to something else, even though the local Sioux tribes loved it.

:rolleyes:

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 03, 2020, 12:10:08 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 02, 2020, 11:40:59 PM
Since you mentioned the Cubs, any single person who did anything to ruin Steve Bartman's life

Most of the Cubs fan base is throughly unlikeable to begin with, their reaction to Steve Bartman is no surprise.

Especially those who grew up outside of the area of the State of Illinois that is roughly north of I-88 and its logical eastward and westward extensions.  I consider them to be 'Bandwagoners'.

:banghead:

Mike

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mgk920 on January 13, 2020, 09:46:38 PM
Not limited to sports:  The pouncing on a specific instance in the name of political correctness while ignoring other similar situations.

Sports example:  The self-indulgent protests over the Washington Redskins' team name, while the Kansas City Chiefs and its Tomahawk Chop are for the most part nowhere near the PC flavor of the day and therefore they're okay.

Suffice to say that the term "Red Skin or Redskin"  has really aged poorly given it essentially racist slang for describing a Native American.  A team carrying the name of "Chiefs"  really isn't all that disrespect taken in that singular context.  It probably doesn't hurt the Chiefs that their logo is simply an arrow.  There was a wave of controversy for awhile on the college level but a lot of those teams were named after specific tribes.  If I recall correctly some schools like Florida State even got the blessing from the Seminole Tribe to use their name and likeness.

And yet, the ultra-PC cops made the University of North Dakota change their nickname from the 'Fighting Sioux' to something else, even though the local Sioux tribes loved it.

Mike

If I remember right didn't the tribe file a countersuit to have the team name reinstated?

Alps

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 13, 2020, 09:53:51 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on January 13, 2020, 09:46:38 PM

Mike

If I remember right didn't the tribe file a countersuit to have the team name reinstated?
One tribe didn't like it, and that was enough apparently.

1995hoo

What's happened with UND's hockey arena? The donor who paid for that arena put the Fighting Sioux logo EVERYWHERE, including embroidered in the leather seats, inlaid in the granite floor, etc., to make it as difficult and costly as possible to remove it if the PC Police ever forced a name change. Have they done anything in that respect or did the logo remain?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

texaskdog

TV went off last night so I had to turn it back on and for some reason wound up on a station with NO COMMENTATORS!  It was wonderful.  I like the crowd noise without the constant babbling.

Max Rockatansky

I didn't really care for the super late start time of the National Championship last night or the excessively long half time.  I know that college doesn't want to compete with the NFL but couldn't they hold the Championship on a Saturday with a more agreeable start time?  I live on the West Coast and even the game was edging on getting towards my bed time. 

Big John

^^ The NCAA also have the championship on mondays for men's D1 basketball while they're playing NHL and NBA games where they could more likely to an accomodate their schedule.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Alps on January 03, 2020, 12:39:08 AM
* Power 5 schools who schedule FCS opponents, and the fact that those games count

Any Power 5 school that schedules FCS opponents should be ineligible for the championship.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

texaskdog

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 14, 2020, 01:48:55 PM
Quote from: Alps on January 03, 2020, 12:39:08 AM
* Power 5 schools who schedule FCS opponents, and the fact that those games count

Any Power 5 school that schedules FCS opponents should be ineligible for the championship.

they should not set your own schedules.  How about the top 4 play each other?  Challenge is to go 2-1 non conference, you'd still have some great records.

Imagine the NFL playing 6 divisional games  then a few handpicked opponents, then a couple of college teams, and it all counts.  Silly/stupid.

texaskdog

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 14, 2020, 12:11:04 PM
I didn’t really care for the super late start time of the National Championship last night or the excessively long half time.  I know that college doesn’t want to compete with the NFL but couldn’t they hold the Championship on a Saturday with a more agreeable start time?  I live on the West Coast and even the game was edging on getting towards my bed time. 

AGREED!!! Same with the Super Bowl. 

US 89

I didn’t really care for the super late start time of the National Championship last night or the excessively long half time.  I know that college doesn’t want to compete with the NFL but couldn’t they hold the Championship on a Saturday with a more agreeable start time?  I live on the West Coast and even the game was edging on getting towards my bed time.

I would be fine if the championship were held at the same time, but on a Friday night instead of a Monday. That still runs into all the issues associated with having the game on a weekday, but at least it doesn't conflict with the NFL and allows most viewers to stay up later since they won't have to work or attend classes the next day.

What really bothers me is the fact that it's on ESPN. There's no reason it can't be on ABC.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: texaskdog on January 14, 2020, 02:55:20 PM
I didn't really care for the super late start time of the National Championship last night or the excessively long half time.  I know that college doesn't want to compete with the NFL but couldn't they hold the Championship on a Saturday with a more agreeable start time?  I live on the West Coast and even the game was edging on getting towards my bed time. 

AGREED!!! Same with the Super Bowl. 

Super Bowl is not as late as the CFP Championship.  Super Bowl kicks off at 6:35 pm ET and is usually ends about 10pm +/- 15 minutes.  CFP Championship kicks off at 8:20 pm ET and usually ends about midnight. 

The problem with scheduling the CFP Championship is that the NFL Playoffs own both Saturday and Sunday the first two weekends in January.  Friday night is the worst night of the week when it comes to TV ratings so that's never going to happen, and delaying it to the 3rd Saturday in January is just too late. 

What would be ideal is if the NFL rearranged the Divisional Playoffs weekend to have 3 games on Sunday and one on Saturday and give Saturday night to the CFP Championship, but I doubt the NFL would do it.

Now if the NFL goes to a 17 game schedule played over 19 weeks that pushes their playoffs back and potentially frees up that 2nd Saturday in January for the CFP Championship.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.