News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that annoy you-sports edition

Started by texaskdog, January 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 27, 2021, 04:11:28 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 27, 2021, 04:07:20 PM
Quote from: bm7 on February 27, 2021, 03:43:05 PM
I don't watch it much, but what annoys me about college basketball is the intentional fouls at the end of close games. Besides making the last minute of game time take forever, the fact that getting a foul is advantageous is ridiculous. The point of a foul is that it's a punishment for breaking the rules of the game. If that punishment is putting your team in a better position, clearly something should be changed. But nobody seems bothered by this and it's just "part of the game".

All levels of basketball are like this, including Pro and HS as well.

There is something inherently wrong with this.  Football has it to a minor extent that only works occasionally, and there are rules in place to make sure a team can't do this multiple times to their advantage.  Baseball, same thing, especially in terms of a intentional walk.

Here's an idea that could work for both football and basketball: eliminate the game clock. Take the average number of possessions per game and award each team that number of possessions, regardless of how long it takes. Keep the play/shot clocks to prevent the individual possessions from becoming too long.
Ick. That would ruin the game.

1995hoo

I don't watch it much, but what annoys me about college basketball is the intentional fouls at the end of close games. Besides making the last minute of game time take forever, the fact that getting a foul is advantageous is ridiculous. The point of a foul is that it's a punishment for breaking the rules of the game. If that punishment is putting your team in a better position, clearly something should be changed. But nobody seems bothered by this and it's just "part of the game".

What I really hate is when the trailing team does that even when they're way behind and have no hope of catching up. Not all coaches will have their teams do it in that situation, but some will, and it's infuriating that it takes 20 minutes to play 90 seconds of basketball.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

There is something inherently wrong with this.  Football has it to a minor extent that only works occasionally, and there are rules in place to make sure a team can't do this multiple times to their advantage.  Baseball, same thing, especially in terms of a intentional walk.
My take, which another friend one mentioned to me, is that you should get a foul shot and then retain possession. The incentive for fouling goes away if you don't get the ball.

wanderer2575

Football players pointing in their offensive direction after a fumble and a pileup.  Yeah, no kidding, you think you recovered.  How about we hear it from the refs?

CoreySamson

I had a really simple idea to make basketball's fouling a bit more tolerable; simply give the fouled team one point and one free throw on a shooting foul. That would still incorporate free throws, but it would make the game a lot faster, especially near the end of the game. It might also cut down on Hack-A-Shaq strategies.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

mgk920

Quote from: Alps on February 27, 2021, 06:24:37 PM

My take, which another friend one mentioned to me, is that you should get a foul shot and then retain possession. The incentive for fouling goes away if you don't get the ball.
Howabout the team of the fouled player having the choice of taking the ball out of bounds from the sideline spot closest to the spot of the foul or shooting free throws from the choice of either the free throw line or the spot of the foul?

Mike

texaskdog

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 27, 2021, 04:55:11 PM

What I really hate is when the trailing team does that even when they're way behind and have no hope of catching up. Not all coaches will have their teams do it in that situation, but some will, and it's infuriating that it takes 20 minutes to play 90 seconds of basketball.

I like the idea of a free point.  or maybe they should be able to take a knee lol.

Fouling is as bad as icing the kicker.  There is no statistical difference, it just wastes a lot of time.

texaskdog

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 27, 2021, 07:06:55 PM
Football players pointing in their offensive direction after a fumble and a pileup.  Yeah, no kidding, you think you recovered.  How about we hear it from the refs?

yes but if more of your guys are pointing you get the ball :P

tchafe1978

Fouling at the end of a basketball game when your team is behind is not pointless. Yes, it makes the game drag on, but if you're only behind by a possession or two, it's how you stop the other team from simply running out the clock. The hope is the other team misses their free throws, thereby allowing your team a chance to come back. It's been a simple strategy in basketball for like forever. It's not going anywhere, no matter how many silly other ways we come up with to change the end strategies.

1995hoo

Quote from: tchafe1978 on February 28, 2021, 11:29:40 PM
Fouling at the end of a basketball game when your team is behind is not pointless. Yes, it makes the game drag on, but if you're only behind by a possession or two, it's how you stop the other team from simply running out the clock. The hope is the other team misses their free throws, thereby allowing your team a chance to come back. It's been a simple strategy in basketball for like forever. It's not going anywhere, no matter how many silly other ways we come up with to change the end strategies.

Right, but....

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 27, 2021, 04:55:11 PM
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

texaskdog

make the shot clock shorter the last few minutes??

epzik8

I don't care about the expansion of the NFL playoffs to 14 teams, but did they have to add a week in the regular season. Now nobody can finish .500.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: epzik8 on March 08, 2021, 07:18:30 AM
I don't care about the expansion of the NFL playoffs to 14 teams, but did they have to add a week in the regular season. Now nobody can finish .500.

8-8-1
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jp the roadgeek

NFL (and 1983-2004 NHL) final score listings where a game ends in a tie and you see (OT) after the listing.  OF COURSE IF IT ENDED IN A TIE THE GAME WENT TO OT. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hotdogPi

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on March 12, 2021, 08:18:58 AM
NFL (and 1983-2004 NHL) final score listings where a game ends in a tie and you see (OT) after the listing.  OF COURSE IF IT ENDED IN A TIE THE GAME WENT TO OT.

Thunderstorms can't end games early?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

webny99

On the other hand, (OT) is useful for games that didn't end up tied, and it's not worth specifically excluding the ties, since there's usually only one or two per year.

texaskdog

Ugh the mythical non losses (overtime losses)

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: 1 on March 12, 2021, 08:26:11 AM

Thunderstorms can't end games early?

Maybe in the preseason, but that would say SUSP.  In baseball, you'd see F/(# innings) if a game ends early, but tie games are now suspended and not replayed from scratch.  In the NFL, regular season games are suspended and picked up after the weather has passed or at a later date (or alternate venue) if necessary (such as in the case of a disaster like an earthquake, civil emergency, or a structure collapse/fire.)  Same could be said about the NBA and NHL (though weather is only a factor in outdoor NHL games; games PPD because of a blizzard are usually done so ahead of time).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Quote from: texaskdog on March 12, 2021, 09:14:58 AM

I hate that there's a loser point without a balancing winner point. Two teams have an incentive to go to overtime if they both need a point for playoff standings and maybe knock out a more hated/dangerous rival. Should be 3-2-1-0 - 3 pt win in regulation.

texaskdog

Quote from: Alps on March 12, 2021, 08:50:36 PM

I hate that there's a loser point without a balancing winner point. Two teams have an incentive to go to overtime if they both need a point for playoff standings and maybe knock out a more hated/dangerous rival. Should be 3-2-1-0 - 3 pt win in regulation.

but then they'd always play for overtime.

whats wrong with W/L/T records with an overtime and no shootout?

Alps

Quote from: texaskdog on March 12, 2021, 10:38:02 PM
Quote from: Alps on March 12, 2021, 08:50:36 PM

but then they'd always play for overtime.

whats wrong with W/L/T records with an overtime and no shootout?
There is more incentive to win in regulation if it's worth an extra point.

thspfc

I would just get rid of regular season hockey overtime altogether. If it's a tie, it's a tie. Cuts down on injuries and makes regulation more exciting.

HTM Duke

Quote from: mgk920 on February 27, 2021, 11:07:01 PM

Howabout the team of the fouled player having the choice of taking the ball out of bounds from the sideline spot closest to the spot of the foul or shooting free throws from the choice of either the free throw line or the spot of the foul?

Mike

I apologize for the bump, but the NCAA did actually experiment with this rule in one of the pre-season NIT tournaments years ago.  Once a team was in the double bonus (10+ fouls), they were allowed to either shoot two FT's or to just retain possession and pass the ball back in to resume play.  This was a one-time deal though, and the NCAA never tried out this rule change again.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

Alps

Quote from: HTM Duke on April 22, 2021, 04:10:56 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 27, 2021, 11:07:01 PM

Mike

I apologize for the bump, but the NCAA did actually experiment with this rule in one of the pre-season NIT tournaments years ago.  Once a team was in the double bonus (10+ fouls), they were allowed to either shoot two FT's or to just retain possession and pass the ball back in to resume play.  This was a one-time deal though, and the NCAA never tried out this rule change again.

I had no idea, but I love that concept. It eliminates the most annoying part of basketball toward the end - intentional fouling so that 2 minutes takes 30 minutes. You're 6 points behind, too bad. Shoulda played better.

Roadgeekteen

Timeouts and breaks in sports near the end of games- makes games last forever. (Mostly a problem in basketball)
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.