Minor things that annoy you-sports edition

Started by texaskdog, January 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 22, 2021, 06:39:28 PM
Timeouts and breaks in sports near the end of games- makes games last forever. (Mostly a problem in basketball)
Also in football within 2 minutes.

TheHighwayMan3561

Baseball managers who trudge to the mound at a pace that makes a snail embarrassed, BS with the obviously departing pitcher for two minutes, then only signal for the new pitcher when the home plate umpire arrives to break it up.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hotdogPi

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 22, 2021, 07:27:16 PM
Baseball managers who trudge to the mound at a pace that makes a snail embarrassed, BS with the obviously departing pitcher for two minutes, then only signal for the new pitcher when the home plate umpire arrives to break it up.

Has anyone accidentally done this with someone on base?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Big John on April 22, 2021, 07:23:20 PM
Timeouts and breaks in sports near the end of games- makes games last forever. (Mostly a problem in basketball)
Also in football within 2 minutes.
Especially when they go to commercials during every timeout.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: 1 on April 22, 2021, 07:30:02 PM

I'm not sure I follow.

Big John

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 22, 2021, 07:33:50 PM
Quote from: 1 on April 22, 2021, 07:30:02 PM

I'm not sure I follow.
A time out is called while this happens, so the base runners can't steal bases.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Alps on April 22, 2021, 06:36:30 PM
Quote from: HTM Duke on April 22, 2021, 04:10:56 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 27, 2021, 11:07:01 PM
Quote from: Alps on February 27, 2021, 06:24:37 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 27, 2021, 04:07:20 PM
Quote from: bm7 on February 27, 2021, 03:43:05 PM
I don't watch it much, but what annoys me about college basketball is the intentional fouls at the end of close games. Besides making the last minute of game time take forever, the fact that getting a foul is advantageous is ridiculous. The point of a foul is that it's a punishment for breaking the rules of the game. If that punishment is putting your team in a better position, clearly something should be changed. But nobody seems bothered by this and it's just "part of the game".

All levels of basketball are like this, including Pro and HS as well.

There is something inherently wrong with this.  Football has it to a minor extent that only works occasionally, and there are rules in place to make sure a team can't do this multiple times to their advantage.  Baseball, same thing, especially in terms of a intentional walk.
My take, which another friend one mentioned to me, is that you should get a foul shot and then retain possession. The incentive for fouling goes away if you don't get the ball.
Howabout the team of the fouled player having the choice of taking the ball out of bounds from the sideline spot closest to the spot of the foul or shooting free throws from the choice of either the free throw line or the spot of the foul?

Mike

I apologize for the bump, but the NCAA did actually experiment with this rule in one of the pre-season NIT tournaments years ago.  Once a team was in the double bonus (10+ fouls), they were allowed to either shoot two FT's or to just retain possession and pass the ball back in to resume play.  This was a one-time deal though, and the NCAA never tried out this rule change again.

I had no idea, but I love that concept. It eliminates the most annoying part of basketball toward the end - intentional fouling so that 2 minutes takes 30 minutes. You're 6 points behind, too bad. Shoulda played better.

I do believe that in some European leagues, once you are over the foul limit, the opposing team gets 3 chances to make 2 free throws, in other words, if you miss either of the first two you get a third. Makes fouling when you are behind more punitive.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hbelkins

That's done to give the relief pitcher more time to warm up in the bullpen, especially if they had just gotten started throwing.

Media timeouts are what's bad. I've seen it happen several times: a team calls a TO just prior to a scheduled media break. Say, with 12:04 on the clock. Sometimes you will even hear the announcer say that a coach is hoping to get to the next scheduled TV timeout but has to call one to regroup before it happens. Play resumes, and there's a dead ball with 11:50 on the clock. Boom. Time for the under-12 TV timeout. The rule should be that if there's a timeout called within a certain time (say, a minute or 90 seconds) of the TV timeout mark, there is no TV timeout at the next dead ball.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on April 22, 2021, 09:17:45 PM

Media timeouts are what's bad. I've seen it happen several times: a team calls a TO just prior to a scheduled media break. Say, with 12:04 on the clock. Sometimes you will even hear the announcer say that a coach is hoping to get to the next scheduled TV timeout but has to call one to regroup before it happens. Play resumes, and there's a dead ball with 11:50 on the clock. Boom. Time for the under-12 TV timeout. The rule should be that if there's a timeout called within a certain time (say, a minute or 90 seconds) of the TV timeout mark, there is no TV timeout at the next dead ball.

In all sports, the broadcaster has sold a certain number of commercial blocks. They have budgeted for an average number of called timeouts in addition to the planned timeouts. It's more noticeable when the called timeouts happen very close to the planned ones, but it really isn't adding any time. Those called timeouts will come at some point.

During a football game, you'll notice that most possession changes have commercial breaks, but sometimes, when multiple possession changes come quickly, there won't be a commercial break. If there have been a very low number of possession changes, you sometimes get the "sandwich" commercials both before and after a kickoff. Called timeouts in the last 2 minutes are short (30 second) timeouts unless they have a commercial block they haven't gotten to yet.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

TheHighwayMan3561

That's done to give the relief pitcher more time to warm up in the bullpen, especially if they had just gotten started throwing.

I'm well aware of the "why"  behind it; it isn't fun to watch regardless.

HTM Duke

I believe that the NCAA amended its media timeout rules to do just that.  If a team calls timeout within thirty seconds of the next media timeout, then the called timeout becomes the media timeout.  (If the game is in the second half though, the first called timeout is instead extended into an additional media timeout instead of replacing one.)  A much more insignificant change was also established so that the media timeout can now called at the XX:00 mark exactly, instead of just under it [i.e., XX:59].
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

Alps

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 22, 2021, 10:24:52 PM

I'm well aware of the "why"  behind it; it isn't fun to watch regardless.
I don't think it happens that often. It takes a pitcher that's really struggling suddenly, because otherwise the other reliever would already be warmed up.

gonealookin

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 12, 2020, 04:48:35 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 12, 2020, 04:47:17 PM
Here's one thing that doesn't necessarily annoy me, but has piqued my curiosity.

When did putting "Jr." on the back of your uniform become a thing? Seems like it's been the last 5-10 years for college athletes.

Sounds about right.  There is someone on the LA Clippers that has Sr. on his jersey as well.

Just a nice way to honor one's father / son I guess.

I was watching the Baltimore Orioles game tonight.  A pitcher named "Travis Lakins Sr." entered the game.  Lakins Sr. is 26 years old.  I get that he's proud to be a parent, but dubbing oneself "Senior" seems a little pretentious to me at 26.  Let the child develop his own identity and then I'll go along with the Senior/Junior differentiation, but for a while "Travis Lakins" ought to be sufficient for the adult.

That's not purely a sports observation, but sports is the only place I've ever noticed <40 year old men calling themselves "Senior".  Maybe it goes along with the ego trip of being a professional athlete.  At least Lakins doesn't compound it by putting the "SR" on the back of his uniform.

Big John

Quote from: gonealookin on April 23, 2021, 10:21:16 PM
Here's one thing that doesn't necessarily annoy me, but has piqued my curiosity.

When did putting "Jr." on the back of your uniform become a thing? Seems like it's been the last 5-10 years for college athletes.

Sounds about right.  There is someone on the LA Clippers that has Sr. on his jersey as well.

I was watching the Baltimore Orioles game tonight.  A pitcher named "Travis Lakins Sr." entered the game.  Lakins Sr. is 26 years old.  I get that he's proud to be a parent, but dubbing oneself "Senior" seems a little pretentious to me at 26.  Let the child develop his own identity and then I'll go along with the Senior/Junior differentiation, but for a while "Travis Lakins" ought to be sufficient for the adult.

That's not purely a sports observation, but sports is the only place I've ever noticed <40 year old men calling themselves "Senior".  Maybe it goes along with the ego trip of being a professional athlete.  At least Lakins doesn't compound it by putting the "SR" on the back of his uniform.
It started with Robert Griffin III doing it in college, then when he was drafted to the NFL, they changed the rules to allow it. Then other sports followed suit.  Not every team allows it, like you never see a suffix on a Packers jersey.

Alps

I know a Sr. under 40 who is not in sports.

hbelkins

A certain seven-time NASCAR champion's given name was Ralph Dale Earnhardt. His dad was named Ralph Earnhardt. When the seven-time champion's son started racing, he did so under the name Dale Earnhardt Jr. Is his name Ralph Dale Earnhardt Jr.? Or did he call himself Dale Jr. to capitalize on his dad's name?

The "Jr." thing has been a NASCAR phenomenon for along time. Even if a driver's dad wasn't in racing, or in the same series, the Jr. suffix has been popular. Look at Martin Truex Jr. Anytime his name is mentioned, it's with the "Jr." I know his dad was involved in racing, but never at the levels his son was/is. No one would confuse the current driver with his dad.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on April 24, 2021, 11:26:09 PM
A certain seven-time NASCAR champion's given name was Ralph Dale Earnhardt. His dad was named Ralph Earnhardt. When the seven-time champion's son started racing, he did so under the name Dale Earnhardt Jr. Is his name Ralph Dale Earnhardt Jr.?

Yes
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SP Cook

Quote from: hbelkins on April 24, 2021, 11:26:09 PM
A certain seven-time NASCAR champion's given name was Ralph Dale Earnhardt. His dad was named Ralph Earnhardt. When the seven-time champion's son started racing, he did so under the name Dale Earnhardt Jr. Is his name Ralph Dale Earnhardt Jr.? Or did he call himself Dale Jr. to capitalize on his dad's name?

#3 father's full name was Ralph Lee Earnhardt.
#3's full name was Ralph Dale Earnhardt.
Jr.'s full name is indeed Ralph Dale Earnhardt, Jr.
Although he was not #3's first born son, coming from the 2nd of #3's 3 marriages.  His oldest son was Kerry Earnhardt, full name Kerry Dale Earnhardt, although #3 abandoned the kid and had no relationship with him from before he was one until he was 16, and he was legally adopted by his step-father and went by Kerry Key until he began racing.

Theresa Earnhardt, #3's widow, who is the mother of neither, sued Kerry for trademark infringement for selling "Earnhardt Collection" mobile homes.

CNGL-Leudimin

Cycling: When an "intermediate" sprint is placed in the last 10 km (6 miles) or so of a stage.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Roadgeekteen

They put an NHL team in Las Vegas before Houston.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

When people suggest if a big moment happened a different way, that the entire game would stay the same after that.

Takumi

Whenever I see someone calling themselves Senior like that I just want to tell them "congrats on the sex" .
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

texaskdog

There should just be a time clock much like the play clock.  If everyone is not ready in place by the time the clock hits zero, the next batter draws an intentional walk.

Big John

Quote from: texaskdog on May 18, 2021, 11:19:48 PM

There should just be a time clock much like the play clock.  If everyone is not ready in place by the time the clock hits zero, the next batter draws an intentional walk.
They do have a clock, but it is not enforced.

texaskdog

Quote from: Big John on May 19, 2021, 12:13:44 AM
Quote from: texaskdog on May 18, 2021, 11:19:48 PM

They do have a clock, but it is not enforced.

Baseball is a sport that badly needs clocks. Plus walks to the mound should be limited like timeouts are.  Give them 3 per game.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.