News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that annoy you-sports edition

Started by texaskdog, January 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 25, 2021, 09:59:29 PM
Quote from: thspfc on May 25, 2021, 09:33:54 PM
Thought of another one today - Americans who root for Canadian hockey teams to do well because they Canadian and they're "original". Have some pride. I always root for American teams to beat Canadian teams. Their national team always beats ours anyways.
What if you live in North Dakota? Or Northern Vermont?

At least in my experience, US vs. Canada rivalries (both in sports and outside of sports) are stronger closer to the border. I'm sure there are some legitimate fans of Canadian teams in the US near the border, but probably not as many as you'd think. North Dakota in particular is probably Minnesota Wild territory.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on May 25, 2021, 10:07:09 PM
North Dakota in particular is probably Minnesota Wild territory.

Not as much as it is Univ. of North Dakota territory. They have the pull of a pro team up there, much like Alabama and Auburn football.

Quote from: thspfc on May 25, 2021, 09:33:54 PM
Thought of another one today - Americans who root for Canadian hockey teams to do well because they Canadian and they're "original". Have some pride. I always root for American teams to beat Canadian teams. Their national team always beats ours anyways.

It makes no sense to root one way or the other in the NHL, because most players on American teams are Canadians anyway.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 25, 2021, 10:12:39 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 25, 2021, 10:07:09 PM
North Dakota in particular is probably Minnesota Wild territory.

Not as much as it is Univ. of North Dakota territory. They have the pull of a pro team up there, much like Alabama and Auburn football.

Very fair (shows how much I know about hockey), but I was thinking more as opposed to the Canadian team, which would be the Jets in this case.

Roadgeekteen

I'm a Bruins fan but I don't really root for American or Canadian teams outside of that, I just pull for who I like. I was rooting for the Raptors during the 2019 NBA finals.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: texaskdog on May 25, 2021, 01:59:51 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 25, 2021, 12:08:14 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on May 25, 2021, 11:40:56 AM
Forgive me if we covered this before but people who say "we" for the local team they didn't play for.  :P

Similarly, people who get on a high horse about this when someone says "we" as a fan. ;)

However, "we" fans should be consistent - I remember a comedy bit once joking that a lot of fans will talk gushingly about how "we" won the game, but then bitch about how "they" lost the game the next time out.

I am a Cowboys fan but since they don't win I also like the Bucs.  What if I watch a game between two other teams and side with one?  Where does "we" end?  I went to the University of Minnesota but never played on the team and don't ever feel comfortable saying "we" for the Gophers.

I don't think this is an issue - I have never referred to any team in a game where both teams were teams I was neutral/felt hatred toward as "we".
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SP Cook

All pro hockey teams are a mix of Canadian, American, Russian, and eastern European players.

One of the stupidest articles I ever read was some guy saying Canada really needed Vancouver to make the finals, because more Canadians would watch.  So, some guy in New Brunswick feels more affinity for a team of Canadians, Americans, Russians, and eastern Europeans, based 3500 miles away in British Columbia than for a team of Canadians, Americans, Russians, and eastern Europeans, based 500 miles away in Massachusetts? 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SP Cook on May 26, 2021, 09:16:41 AM
All pro hockey teams are a mix of Canadian, American, Russian, and eastern European players.

One of the stupidest articles I ever read was some guy saying Canada really needed Vancouver to make the finals, because more Canadians would watch.  So, some guy in New Brunswick feels more affinity for a team of Canadians, Americans, Russians, and eastern Europeans, based 3500 miles away in British Columbia than for a team of Canadians, Americans, Russians, and eastern Europeans, based 500 miles away in Massachusetts? 

Yes, much in the same way that most fans of any other sport have affinities for teams based on where the team is located and not where the players are from. The NHL is unique in having a sizable number of teams in two countries, and there is most certainly national pride involved, especially given the recent lack of Canadian teams reaching the finals.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 26, 2021, 09:47:48 AM

Yes, much in the same way that most fans of any other sport have affinities for teams based on where the team is located and not where the players are from. The NHL is unique in having a sizable number of teams in two countries, and there is most certainly national pride involved, especially given the recent lack of Canadian teams reaching the finals.

I think what SP Cook was saying is that Boston is closer to the majority of Canada's population than Vancouver. (New Brunswick isn't that populated, but Quebec and Ontario are.)

Not that that really matters; in any sport, your rival is often the second closest team to you.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1 on May 26, 2021, 09:49:52 AM

I think what SP Cook was saying is that Boston is closer to the majority of Canada's population than Vancouver. (New Brunswick isn't that populated, but Quebec and Ontario are.)

Not that that really matters; in any sport, your rival is often the second closest team to you.

I understand what he's saying, but national pride beats out proximity. There has been a long drought for Canadian teams and one in the finals would be a huge deal.

If you read through this poster's posts in various threads, there seems to be a lot of mention of "where people are from"
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Using the New Brunswick example, if you asked 100 New Brunswick hockey fans if they would rather have Vancouver or Boston win the cup, I bet 90 of them would say Vancouver, mostly because they're probably fans of Montreal or Toronto, and therefore don't like Boston.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 26, 2021, 09:57:52 AM
Quote from: 1 on May 26, 2021, 09:49:52 AM

I understand what he's saying, but national pride beats out proximity. There has been a long drought for Canadian teams and one in the finals would be a huge deal.

If you read through this poster's posts in various threads, there seems to be a lot of mention of "where people are from"
A lot of people also root for hometown players, like Nova Scotians rooting for the Penguins because of Crosby.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

texaskdog

you can at least contribute something, instead of reposting what somebody else just said.  :spin:

thspfc

Quote from: texaskdog on May 26, 2021, 09:12:27 PM
you can at least contribute something, instead of reposting what somebody else just said.  :spin:

hotdogPi

It was a nested quote malfunction, not just a repost. The sentence about the Penguins is his.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

thspfc

Quote from: 1 on May 26, 2021, 09:16:54 PM
It was a nested quote malfunction, not just a repost. The sentence about the Penguins is his.
How did that happen?

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: thspfc on May 26, 2021, 09:24:04 PM
Quote from: 1 on May 26, 2021, 09:16:54 PM
How did that happen?
I wrote my quote in the wrong place.

Scott5114

When people refer to the Big 10 Conference as "B1G". It's not, it's the Big 10. "B1G" is how their logo is designed, because it's in a block font so the "G" kind of looks like a "0". In most fonts, the G doesn't look like a 0, most people don't change the colors to highlight the "10" like in the logo so it looks like you're a leetspeaking teenager who's really excited about saying "big", and nobody (hopefully) says "bee-one-gee" (shitty A1A alternate route?), so why not actually call it what it's called?

If you're going to call things by what their logo looks like it's saying, you need to start writing "Disnep" for consistency.

I don't actually care about college football conferences but that's the only thing anyone around here wants to talk about.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 25, 2021, 10:10:39 PM
If you're going to call things by what their logo looks like it's saying, you need to start writing "Disnep" for consistency.

I don't think it's the "y" that's weird in the Disney wordmark, but rather that horrific "D," which throughout my childhood I perceived as a backwards "G":

I object mostly because that is how I make my "y"s, a deliberate change I made in high school since I often confused my "x"s and "y"s in math, especially when writing fast.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

kurumi

Michigan goodbyes, where you were just about to walk out the door (and as a kid, the parents told you "put the toys and games away, we're going right now!") and someone brings up an entirely new topic of conversation that didn't occur to them during the hours previous.

Also, people who can't tell Michigan and Minnesota apart :-)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

tchafe1978

Quote from: kurumi on July 25, 2021, 10:28:11 PM
Michigan goodbyes, where you were just about to walk out the door (and as a kid, the parents told you "put the toys and games away, we're going right now!") and someone brings up an entirely new topic of conversation that didn't occur to them during the hours previous.

Also, people who can't tell Michigan and Minnesota apart :-)

That's not just a Michigan thing, it's a Midwest thing. We do that here in Wisconsin too. Sometimes the goodbye is longer than the actual visit!

kurumi

... and people posting to the wrong "minor things" thread, like me. Sorry.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kurumi on July 25, 2021, 10:28:11 PM

I thought that was universal everywhere.

gonealookin

Professional announcers should not refer to "the referees" in a football game.  There is only one "referee"; the rest are "officials" (or "the umpire", "the back judge", etc.).

ran4sh

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 25, 2021, 10:10:39 PM
When people refer to the Big 10 Conference as "B1G". It's not, it's the Big 10. "B1G" is how their logo is designed, because it's in a block font so the "G" kind of looks like a "0". In most fonts, the G doesn't look like a 0, most people don't change the colors to highlight the "10" like in the logo so it looks like you're a leetspeaking teenager who's really excited about saying "big", and nobody (hopefully) says "bee-one-gee" (shitty A1A alternate route?), so why not actually call it what it's called?

I don't actually care about college football conferences but that's the only thing anyone around here wants to talk about.

It's not the Big 10 either, it's the Big Ten.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

texaskdog

Lining up solely to draw the other team offsides.  Worse yet when they are stupid enough to fall for it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.