Minor things that annoy you-sports edition

Started by texaskdog, January 01, 2020, 03:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Quote from: tchafe1978 on July 26, 2021, 09:44:45 AM
Quote from: kurumi on July 25, 2021, 10:28:11 PM
Michigan goodbyes, where you were just about to walk out the door (and as a kid, the parents told you "put the toys and games away, we're going right now!") and someone brings up an entirely new topic of conversation that didn't occur to them during the hours previous.

Also, people who can't tell Michigan and Minnesota apart :-)

That's not just a Michigan thing, it's a Midwest thing. We do that here in Wisconsin too. Sometimes the goodbye is longer than the actual visit!

Tired of people thinking I'm from Michigan!  It's not that hard.

Alps

Quote from: ran4sh on December 20, 2021, 11:47:08 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 25, 2021, 10:10:39 PM
When people refer to the Big 10 Conference as "B1G". It's not, it's the Big 10. "B1G" is how their logo is designed, because it's in a block font so the "G" kind of looks like a "0". In most fonts, the G doesn't look like a 0, most people don't change the colors to highlight the "10" like in the logo so it looks like you're a leetspeaking teenager who's really excited about saying "big", and nobody (hopefully) says "bee-one-gee" (shitty A1A alternate route?), so why not actually call it what it's called?

If you're going to call things by what their logo looks like it's saying, you need to start writing "Disnep" for consistency.

I don't actually care about college football conferences but that's the only thing anyone around here wants to talk about.

It's not the Big 10 either, it's the Big Ten.
no it's the B1G

thspfc

When people refer to the Big 10 Conference as "B1G". It's not, it's the Big 10. "B1G" is how their logo is designed, because it's in a block font so the "G" kind of looks like a "0". In most fonts, the G doesn't look like a 0, most people don't change the colors to highlight the "10" like in the logo so it looks like you're a leetspeaking teenager who's really excited about saying "big", and nobody (hopefully) says "bee-one-gee" (shitty A1A alternate route?), so why not actually call it what it's called?

If you're going to call things by what their logo looks like it's saying, you need to start writing "Disnep" for consistency.

I don't actually care about college football conferences but that's the only thing anyone around here wants to talk about.
Mr. No Nicknames

formulanone

Quote from: Alps on December 21, 2021, 03:26:47 PM
Quote from: ran4sh on December 20, 2021, 11:47:08 PM

It's not the Big 10 either, it's the Big Ten.
no it's the B1G

TH3 N070R1U5 B1G

triplemultiplex

Losing a fantasy football championship by less than one point.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 08, 2021, 07:32:11 AM
Quote from: epzik8 on March 08, 2021, 07:18:30 AM
I don't care about the expansion of the NFL playoffs to 14 teams, but did they have to add a week in the regular season. Now nobody can finish .500.

8-8-1

Rooting hard for the Steelers to split their last two games
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Billy F 1988

RJ Bell saying "let's be candid" multiple times during Straight Outta Vegas on FOX Sports Radio! MMMMMM! So annoying. Like, yeah! You can be candid WITHOUT SAYING "let's be candid" every dadgum day.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

ilpt4u

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 22, 2021, 10:29:16 AM
Is that a Season Points League Championship, or losing the League Playoffs Title Game by less than one point?

Both suck, but if it is the former, I'd seriously consider a Split Pot if I were the league's money-man/commissioner

formulanone

Showing the percentage chance of a team's win while the game is ongoing. For those of us who don't gamble, this just takes away some of the fun of watching a potential upset.

Maybe it's just me, but it's an annoying trend.

ilpt4u

Quote from: formulanone on January 05, 2022, 07:47:02 PM
Showing the percentage chance of a team's win while the game is ongoing. For those of us who don't gamble, this just takes away some of the fun of watching a potential upset.

I think it's hilarious when a team is a 99+% chance to win, and they choke it down hard (talking about you, ATL Falcons in the Superbowl). Literally, they likely could have knee'd 3x and punted each of their possessions in the 4th qtr and probably would have won, or at a minimum simply had Matty Ice hand the ball off each down.

It just emphasizes when a team self-destructs, and how badly. Just using #s to make a point that had been made by PxP/Analyst duos since even before Summeral & Madden

NWI_Irish96

As far as I know, win probabilities aren't shown on game broadcasts, so as long as you can avoid that info by not visiting the places it exists.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 05, 2022, 09:20:46 PM

I think it's hilarious when a team is a 99+% chance to win, and they choke it down hard (talking about you, ATL Falcons in the Superbowl). Literally, they likely could have knee'd 3x and punted each of their possessions in the 4th qtr and probably would have won, or at a minimum simply had Matty Ice hand the ball off each down.

It just emphasizes when a team self-destructs, and how badly. Just using #s to make a point that had been made by PxP/Analyst duos since even before Summeral & Madden

An NFL season consists of 272 games (up from 256 previously), so on average, there should be 2-3 games per year where a team with a 99% win probability loses.

texaskdog

Commentators who have nothing better to say then talk about which was someone is looking.

Alps

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 05, 2022, 10:30:31 PM

An NFL season consists of 272 games (up from 256 previously), so on average, there should be 2-3 games per year where a team with a 99% win probability loses.
That only works if all 272 games are 99% win probability.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Alps on January 06, 2022, 11:37:42 PM

Every game hits 99% at some point.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

hotdogPi

Regarding sports betting: the idea of "+150", "-170", etc. What happens to the two-digit numbers? Why not use +50 instead of -200?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on January 07, 2022, 06:48:51 AM

Not necessarily. A walk off field goal/TD, or overtime end, will not necessarily be at 99% one way or the other.

For example, KC had a 71.3% chance of winning this game at their opponents 34 yard line in overtime. One Travis Kelce TD reception later, game over, https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401326537

webny99

Quote from: SectorZ on January 07, 2022, 09:00:54 AM
Quote from: 1 on January 07, 2022, 06:48:51 AM

Not necessarily. A walk off field goal/TD, or overtime end, will not necessarily be at 99% one way or the other.

For example, KC had a 71.3% chance of winning this game at their opponents 34 yard line in overtime. One Travis Kelce TD reception later, game over, https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/401326537

Funny, I thought the same thing about the Bills/Bucs overtime game. It ended on a 58 yard catch and run for the Bucs. Their win probability was definitely below 99% before that play, and obviously 100% afterwards.

So while it's technically true that their win probability hit 99% before hitting 100%, it would have been during that play, so for all practical purposes, they were never in an in-game situation with the clock stopped in which they had 99% win probability.

NWI_Irish96

As noted, there are exceptions but most games hit 99%, so you should still expect this to happen at least once a season.

webny99

Also, it should be pointed out that 99.0% is a lot different than 99.99%.

99.0% is a 1-in-100 chance of losing, so you'd expect that to happen about once or twice a year.

99.99% is a 1-in-10,000 chance of losing, so you'd expect that to happen only once every 40-50 years.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 05, 2022, 07:00:11 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 22, 2021, 10:29:16 AM
Is that a Season Points League Championship, or losing the League Playoffs Title Game by less than one point?

Both suck, but if it is the former, I'd seriously consider a Split Pot if I were the league's money-man/commissioner

Title Game.
It was even worse than losing by one point.  I was up by 30 going into the rescheduled Tuesday game, but guess who had Cooper fucking Kupp that night?
The other guy ended with 0.06 points more than me.   X-(
Cost me 150 bucks falling to second with that goddamn six one-hundredths of a point.  Not a major pot for some leagues, but I don't care if it means missing out on two bucks; losing by that little is the biggest suckfest in fantasy sports.
I didn't get nothing, but c'mon man!  What are the freakin' odds?  One extra yard from anyone and I win.  FML.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on January 07, 2022, 08:59:21 AM
Regarding sports betting: the idea of "+150", "-170", etc. What happens to the two-digit numbers? Why not use +50 instead of -200?

Sports betting odds are a little weird, and I'm not entirely certain how they work (we don't have sports books in Oklahoma yet, just horse racing), but they are all quoted relative to $100 figures. Positive numbers indicate you're betting an underdog, so if you make a $100 bet with odds of +150, you would theoretically get paid out $250 ($100 wager + $150 win). Negative numbers indicate you're betting a favorite, and show how much you have to bet to win $100, so -170 means you have to wager $170 to win $100 (getting paid out $270 altogether).

Thus, +50 isn't used because if you bet $100 and only win $50, you're not betting an underdog, you're betting a favorite, and thus expressing it as a negative number makes more sense. I think the idea is to one negative number and one positive number on each game, so that it's obvious who the book considers to be the underdog.

Because there are more than two runners, horse racing uses a totally different system, where everything is expressed as a fraction. +150 would be equivalent of 3/2 and -200 would be 1/2. The idea here is that for a fraction x/y, you win x dollars for every y dollars you wager. (3/2 means $3 is won for every $2 wagered, etc.)  Longshots will almost always have a fraction with a denominator of 1, which is often shown on screen as a whole number, so if you see odds quoted as just, say, "65" (the final odds for Country House at the 2019 Kentucky Derby), this means 65/1 or a win of $65 on a $1 bet. This means that, rather than picking one favorite and one underdog, instead, the lower the number is, the more of a favorite it is, and the higher the number, the more of a longshot it is.

Of course the problem with this is that casual race observers hate fractions and have trouble determining if 3/2 is better or worse than 4/3, etc.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CoreySamson

The Texans need to fire their offensive coordinator this offseason. 2-yard runs up the middle on first and second down are not a feasible way to play offense, especially when you have a growing quarterback (and a crappy offensive line, not to mention no good backs).
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

TheHighwayMan3561

Replay absolutists. I'm watching the Minnesota high school hockey championships, which are at the Xcel Energy Center where the Minnesota Wild play, so the high school league makes use of the NHL's replay review equipment. Officials spent 3 minutes going over the same 3 frames of a frame-by-frame breakdown of a possible offside review that could have negated a goal. It was inconclusive and the goal stood.

It's high school. We don't need NHL-style professional reviewing frame by frame like this. And I know most people disagree with me at this point, they think that it would be wrong not to use the technology as much as needed for every possible situation that calls for it.

Just because we can do a thing, does not mean we should do a thing.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jeffandnicole

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 12, 2022, 08:39:51 PM
Replay absolutists. I'm watching the Minnesota high school hockey championships, which are at the Xcel Energy Center where the Minnesota Wild play, so the high school league makes use of the NHL's replay review equipment. Officials spent 3 minutes going over the same 3 frames of a frame-by-frame breakdown of a possible offside review that could have negated a goal. It was inconclusive and the goal stood.

It's high school. We don't need NHL-style professional reviewing frame by frame like this. And I know most people disagree with me at this point, they think that it would be wrong not to use the technology as much as needed for every possible situation that calls for it.

Just because we can do a thing, does not mean we should do a thing.

Completely get that. However, I bet about 50% did appreciate them getting the call in their favor!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.