News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The coronavirus is destroying everything

Started by thspfc, March 12, 2020, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Bruce on April 09, 2021, 06:53:44 PM
Quote from: thspfc on April 09, 2021, 08:44:31 AM
Quote from: Bruce on April 09, 2021, 05:10:50 AM
There's still a bit of long-term damage from COVID, though.

Sacramento is close to losing its MLS expansion franchise because the largest investor pulled out, citing COVID.
Wow, California losing franchises because of stifling Covid restrictions? What a surprise!  :-D

More like the investor wasn't able to keep up due to the economic fallout from the rest of the country's botched COVID response.

Ours (California) wasn't any better than anywhere else in the country.  The governor really didn't do the pandemic response favors when he got caught on camera at a dinner maskless in Napa County.  Since that time pretty almost everyone and almost every local authority (Santa Clara County being a big exception) has been increasingly phoning in COVID restrictions. 

I don't know if any of that has anything to do with the MLS team in Sacramento failing, although I doubt it. 

Alps

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 09, 2021, 08:31:52 PM

Sacramento is close to losing its MLS expansion franchise because the largest investor pulled out, citing COVID.
Wow, California losing franchises because of stifling Covid restrictions? What a surprise!  :-D

More like the investor wasn't able to keep up due to the economic fallout from the rest of the country's botched COVID response.

Ours (California) wasn't any better than anywhere else in the country.  The governor really didn't do the pandemic response favors when he got caught on camera at a dinner maskless in Napa County.  Since that time pretty almost everyone and almost every local authority (Santa Clara County being a big exception) has been increasingly phoning in COVID restrictions. 

I don't know if any of that has anything to do with the MLS team in Sacramento failing, although I doubt it. 
The country has COVID exhaustion. Tired of restrictions, they're using vaccination as an excuse to go out and do everything normal again, forgetting that everyone who isn't vaccinated can still get the disease, so our numbers are peaking all over again even as a sizable minority of people are "protected".

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alps on April 10, 2021, 01:42:04 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 09, 2021, 08:31:52 PM

The country has COVID exhaustion. Tired of restrictions, they're using vaccination as an excuse to go out and do everything normal again, forgetting that everyone who isn't vaccinated can still get the disease, so our numbers are peaking all over again even as a sizable minority of people are "protected".

Yesterday was probably the first day that I can recall traffic in all forms being close to normal.  The roads were packed with commuters when I was passing through Stockton and Sacramento in the morning.  When I got back to the vicinity of Fresno on CA 41 there was the old Friday evening rush to Oakhurst and Yosemite.  For all intents and purposes more people than not have decided to resume normalcy.  I thought it was strange that some of he Gold Rush counties were more strictly adhering to current rules than Fresno was, that's certainly a 180 flip from months ago. 

Regardless though, I think it is interesting when I hear from people that they think that California or any particular place handled COVID than elsewhere.  It seems that the same pattern of infection waves and phoning in of restrictions more or less are the same most places on a long enough time table. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 10, 2021, 09:45:23 AM
Yesterday was probably the first day that I can recall traffic in all forms being close to normal.  The roads were packed with commuters when I was passing through Stockton and Sacramento in the morning.  When I got back to the vicinity of Fresno on CA 41 there was the old Friday evening rush to Oakhurst and Yosemite.  For all intents and purposes more people than not have decided to resume normalcy.  I thought it was strange that some of he Gold Rush counties were more strictly adhering to current rules than Fresno was, that's certainly a 180 flip from months ago. 

Occasionally looking at Google Maps, afternoon congestion that would have been 10-14 miles pre-pandemic on 295 near me has been more in the 2-3 mile range, slightly growing over the past few months.

I got my second shot yesterday, and not really thinking about it I scheduled it for a Friday afternoon up this highway. While traffic certainly isn't as backed up as it normally would have been pre-pandemic on a Friday afternoon, there still is some congestion out there. In this particular case there was an accident which should have caused a lot further of a backup, but the 2 mile slowdown was relatively muted, then followed by another slowdown slightly exasperated by a car that ran out of gas in a construction zone on a narrow shoulder.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 10, 2021, 09:45:23 AM
Regardless though, I think it is interesting when I hear from people that they think that California or any particular place handled COVID than elsewhere.  It seems that the same pattern of infection waves and phoning in of restrictions more or less are the same most places on a long enough time table. 

What I noticed is it's a lot like throwing a rock into the water. A wave slams places that were reluctant to impose restrictions or rejected imposing them, which ripples outward and hits places that were more restrictive after it dies down in the original hot spot. It's why so many of the unrestricted places have pointed and said "see, the restrictions don't do anything because we're doing fine and they're not" to justify their refusing to impose restrictions.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ftballfan

I wonder if the Blue Jays and/or the Raptors would consider a permanent relocation to a US city if the US/Canada border doesn't reopen by this time next year. If so, I could see the Blue Jays moving to Buffalo or Charlotte (maybe even keeping the Blue Jays name if they move permanently to Buffalo) and the Raptors moving to Seattle and becoming the new Sonics.

A couple of years ago, it was rumored that the Rays would be on their way to Montreal. Now it's more likely (but still a small chance) that the Blue Jays relocate south than the Rays relocating north.

hbelkins

Quote from: ftballfan on April 17, 2021, 11:53:20 PM
I wonder if the Blue Jays and/or the Raptors would consider a permanent relocation to a US city if the US/Canada border doesn't reopen by this time next year. If so, I could see the Blue Jays moving to Buffalo or Charlotte (maybe even keeping the Blue Jays name if they move permanently to Buffalo) and the Raptors moving to Seattle and becoming the new Sonics.

A couple of years ago, it was rumored that the Rays would be on their way to Montreal. Now it's more likely (but still a small chance) that the Blue Jays relocate south than the Rays relocating north.

I read a story today about the U.S. women's hockey coach quitting over covid protocols, and the story mentioned the tournament is next week in Canada. So the border must be open for some sporting/business reasons.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

TheHighwayMan3561

With the Blue Jays owned by Rogers (Canada's largest communications company) and the Raptors owned by the country's largest entertainment group, I see no scenario they permanently leave Toronto barring selling to outside buyers. From an American perspective I have gotten a sense of an "us standing alone against the USA" when it comes to the Jays/Raptors, so that undercurrent would also be in favor of keeping the teams where they are.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on April 18, 2021, 12:18:06 AM
I read a story today about the U.S. women's hockey coach quitting over covid protocols, and the story mentioned the tournament is next week in Canada. So the border must be open for some sporting/business reasons.

I believe that's been the case all along, hasn't it?  Business travel is still allowed.  I think there's still a mandatory quarantine period upon arrival in Canada, though.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2021, 02:34:30 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 18, 2021, 12:18:06 AM

I believe that's been the case all along, hasn't it?  Business travel is still allowed.  I think there's still a mandatory quarantine period upon arrival in Canada, though.

Yep, that is correct - anyone can travel to Canada as long as they have a reason (which has essentially always been the case even pre-Covid) and they quarantine for two weeks upon arrival.

Of course, at least in Ontario, things are locked down to such an extent that you probably wouldn't be doing much a even after the two weeks are over. It will be interesting to see if that continues, and if so, how it plays out once the warmer weather hits.

Roadgeekteen

The border will be open by the end of the year after we send our vaccines to Canada.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ftballfan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 21, 2021, 01:48:50 PM

The border will be open by the end of the year after we send our vaccines to Canada.
I won't be surprised if they use that opportunity to have Biden and Trudeau have a press event of some kind at Niagara Falls

TheGrassGuy

How long do you think it'll be until the IOC officially announces that the Olympics are cancelled? Given Japan's abysmal vaccine program, they undoubtedly will eventually be forced to, in my opinion. :eyebrow:
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on April 26, 2021, 06:53:34 AM
How long do you think it'll be until the IOC officially announces that the Olympics are cancelled? Given Japan's abysmal vaccine program, they undoubtedly will eventually be forced to, in my opinion. :eyebrow:

I think it's pretty much too late at this point. Too much money tied up in those dates to move/cancel now. If they require everybody coming to be vaccinated, it shouldn't matter too much what percentage of the host population is vaccinated.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 26, 2021, 06:56:48 AM

I think it's pretty much too late at this point. Too much money tied up in those dates to move/cancel now. If they require everybody coming to be vaccinated, it shouldn't matter too much what percentage of the host population is vaccinated.
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210427-impossible-now-japan-s-olympic-host-towns-pull-out-over-pandemic
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on April 27, 2021, 08:49:31 AM

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210427-impossible-now-japan-s-olympic-host-towns-pull-out-over-pandemic

I'm more surprised India has a hockey team. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 27, 2021, 10:38:43 AM

It has over a billion people. I'm sure a few like playing hockey.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 27, 2021, 11:09:27 AM

I'm sure, but I never would have that it had enough of a following to compete in the Olympics.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 27, 2021, 11:46:52 AM

I'm sure, but I never would have that it had enough of a following to compete in the Olympics.

Even in the United States, there are some sports that we only care about during the Olympics.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 27, 2021, 11:46:52 AM

There are probably more Olympic slots than number of countries that actually like hockey. If they're like other sports, they may have quotas limiting the number of European entrants.

ftballfan

A bold prediction on future Olympic host cities: Tokyo will host the Summer Olympics again (after this year) within the next 20 to 30 years.

Roadgeekteen

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 13, 2022, 04:07:01 AM
https://www.complex.com/sports/scenes-from-an-empty-toronto-raptors-home-game

Canada bringing back the ole capacity limits.

Not really surprised. A number of colleges in the US are also no longer admitting fans to men's and women's basketball games, and I expect that to continue until the Omicron surge winds down. Of course, exactly when that will happen is a mystery because it was projected to die down in late December...then early January...then mid-January...then late January...then early February...
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on January 13, 2022, 08:40:42 AM

Not really surprised. A number of colleges in the US are also no longer admitting fans to men's and women's basketball games, and I expect that to continue until the Omicron surge winds down. Of course, exactly when that will happen is a mystery because it was projected to die down in late December...then early January...then mid-January...then late January...then early February...

Who was projecting it to die down at those times? I'd love to see sources.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 13, 2022, 08:54:12 AM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on January 13, 2022, 08:40:42 AM

Who was projecting it to die down at those times? I'd love to see sources.

I probably should have said "peak" rather than "die down".

Late December: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/05/omicron-wave-seems-to-have-peaked-in-south-africa-london-next.html

Mid-January: https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/12/30/how-long-will-omicron-last/

Mid-February: https://nbc-2.com/news/health/covid/2021/12/29/thousands-more-expected-to-get-sick-with-omicron-variant-compared-to-delta/
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.