News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longest Road Segments Where Opposing Traffic Is Not Visible

Started by webny99, July 07, 2020, 01:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

Quote from: webny99 on July 09, 2020, 10:57:07 PM
US 15 north of Williamsport, PA, is another interesting one. There's no individual examples of more than 5 miles or so, but there's several stretches of about that length, and it's the opposite of I-64 in terms of character and scenery.

It's got to have some of the biggest elevation differentials between directions, too: Most examples of oncoming traffic not being visible are caused by trees, distance, or both, but here is a unique example caused by elevation. Speaking of which...

Since this thread starting running down roads that are not freeways, my favorite is the split section of US-460 between Narrows and Glen Lyn, Virginia.  That section runs about 5 miles, and the westbound lanes are on the old curvy road up on the cliffside overlooking the New River.  Technically, there's a few places that you can look down on the eastbound lanes when the leaves are down if you dare to drive too close to the left-hand guardrail.  There's been plenty of discussion on AAForum, but this one from the Speed Differences thread gives you the gist:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16989.msg2123117#msg2123117
Quote from: hbelkins on December 10, 2015, 08:55:48 PM
On US-460 between Narrows, VA and the WV line, the curvier westbound lanes have a limit of 40 MPH, whereas the eastbound lanes remain at 60 MPH.

Back in college, both sets of lanes were posted at 55 mph (but I was about the only person who dared to drive westbound at those speeds).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.