News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Streets with similar names in close proximity?

Started by KCRoadFan, July 16, 2020, 10:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

What examples can you think of where two or more streets with identical or similar names intersect or come close to one another? I can come up with several:

• All the variations on "Peachtree" in Atlanta (perhaps the best-known example)
  • Southwest Boulevard and Southwest Trafficway in KC
  • Layton Boulevard and Layton Avenue in Milwaukee
  • Florissant Road and West Florissant Road in Ferguson, MO (confusingly enough, West Florissant Road is actually east of Florissant Road!)
  • Minneapolis and Minnesota Streets in Wichita, KS - one block apart!
  • North Boulevard and North Street in Baton Rouge, LA
  • Any city with numbered streets running east-west and numbered avenues running north-south (or vice-versa), where a lot of pairs with the same number intersect (there are many such intersections in the east part of Minneapolis)
  • North of the border: the intersection of Danforth Avenue and Danforth Road in Toronto

These are just the examples I can think of at this moment. What others might be out there? I'm sure there are many.

Scott5114

Grant and Grand intersect in Springfield, MO.

Norman, OK's major north-south arterials are all divisible by 12, so both sides of town have a 12th, 24th, 36th, 48th, etc. Despite the fact that they're miles apart, they can still be confused with one another.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Big John

DJ Particle

This rotary intersection...

Minnehaha Ave. heads north
Minnehaha Pkwy. heads west
Minnehaha Dr. heads south

And just south of the rotary is Minnehaha Park Dr. (though only a small section is still open to cars these days.  Most of it is bike/foot traffic only now)

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Minneapolis,+MN/@44.9165957,-93.2133185,300m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x52b333909377bbbd:0x939fc9842f7aee07!8m2!3d44.977753!4d-93.2650108

SeriesE

Irvine Avenue (Newport Beach, CA - connects to Campus Drive in Irvine, CA), Irvine Center Drive (Irvine, CA - connects to Edinger Avenue in Tustin, CA), and Irvine Boulevard (Irvine, CA - connects to 4th Street in Tustin, CA)

Mission Road (Los Angeles, CA and Alhambra, CA). The two are separated by approx. 2 miles and they connect to different parallel roads - Huntington Drive and Alhambra Avenue.

Chapman Avenue - Fullerton, CA and Orange, CA, parallel to each other by ~6 miles

michravera

Quote from: KCRoadFan on July 16, 2020, 10:12:47 PM
What examples can you think of where two or more streets with identical or similar names intersect or come close to one another? I can come up with several:

• All the variations on "Peachtree" in Atlanta (perhaps the best-known example)
  • Southwest Boulevard and Southwest Trafficway in KC
  • Layton Boulevard and Layton Avenue in Milwaukee
  • Florissant Road and West Florissant Road in Ferguson, MO (confusingly enough, West Florissant Road is actually east of Florissant Road!)
  • Minneapolis and Minnesota Streets in Wichita, KS - one block apart!
  • North Boulevard and North Street in Baton Rouge, LA
  • Any city with numbered streets running east-west and numbered avenues running north-south (or vice-versa), where a lot of pairs with the same number intersect (there are many such intersections in the east part of Minneapolis)
  • North of the border: the intersection of Danforth Avenue and Danforth Road in Toronto

These are just the examples I can think of at this moment. What others might be out there? I'm sure there are many.

Numerous examples in Los Angeles County where between numbered streets might be an Avenue and a Place or Plaza (occasionally something else) with the same number. So, for instance, 97th Street and 97th Ave aren't even 100 m apart.

It's fairly common in Alameda County to name a cul-de-sac from Something Avenue as Something Circle or Something Ct.

As for examples where you might not reasonably say "Ah, that's chickenshit!", Southeast of Broadway in Sacramento, there is a whole slew of intersections of numbered Streets and numbered Avenues, especially in the 30s and 40s. It is a fairly common occurrence in Sacramento also to have a street that eventually goes to Nearby town called "Nearby Blvd" in town, then "Nearby Rd" a bit farther out and then "Nearby-Next City Rd". For instance, "Franklin Blvd" in town, become "Franklin Rd" a bit further out, then "Thornton-Franklin Rd". In this vein, Florin Rd intersects Elk Grove-Florin Rd (and, I believe, Florin-Perkins Rd).

Both Emeryville  and San Francisco have a Powell Street. I am not sure, but they may have once been joined by ferry.

San Francisco and Oakland both have streets called "Embarcadero", basically on opposite sides of the Bay Bridge.

I'm trying to think of, but am not able immediately to recall, streets named basically the same thing in two different languages, but I would expect this to happen a lot on Sint Maarten/Sint Martin and Hispaniola. One would think that it should happen in California, Texas, and Florida a lot also.

There are "Panoche" and "Little Panoche" Rds separated by one exit on I-5.

CNGL-Leudimin

Here in Spain sometimes a short side street will get the same name as the main throughfare it intersects at one end, like this one (extra bonus: in this case the side street intersects the main one at both ends).

Also in Barcelona, while doing some research about their orthogonal bus network I was puzzled by the fact Vilamarí and Viladomat run parallel to each other 4 blocks apart (The Eixample allows for an "American" definition of "block", unlike many places in Europe), with Villarroel (notice Spanish Villa with 2 Ls, as opposed to Catalan Vila with only one) a further 3 blocks from Viladomat.

In any neighborhood where streets are named after composers you are more likely to get streets named after both Händel and Haydn. This happens at opposite ends of Zaragoza's Rosales del Canal. At least in that case they didn't name a street after CPE Bach...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

EpicRoadways

This one is confusing as hell:
Willow Pond Dr, Weeping Willow Ct, Willow Run Ct, Diamond Willow Cir, Willow View Cir, Willow Grove Cir, Willow Creek Dr, Willow View Ln.

Other examples from my area:
Southridge vs. Southview
Mill Pond vs. Mill Creek vs. Millstone
Fortunately all of the examples that I can think of (aside from numbers) don't impact any major roads, so there aren't usually issues. I will say that I've gotten very lost in the neighborhood of the first example trying to figure out which "Willow" someone lived on. 

SectorZ

https://goo.gl/maps/H7sF9xf3BmQuefoS6

This has always bothered me and does cause confusion for locals. Mill St in Burlington MA becomes Hillside Way in Wilmington. For some reason, just down the street from Hillside, there is a dead-end road named Mill Rd. People are constantly driving down the dead-end Mill Rd to get into Burlington especially if they are trying to reach Mill St.

I know there are others around me, but this one actually causes specific confusion and aggravation.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

frankenroad

Central Parkway and Central Avenue run parallel to each other, only a block apart in Cincinnati, for almost 1 1/2 miles.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

ilpt4u

I think this type of thread has been had multiple times before, including the one previously mentioned

I posted this back in the "Funniest street names" thread 3 years ago: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=13488.msg2234570#msg2234570

Terra Cotta Rd and Terra Cotta Ave/IL 176 meet at a stoplight in the far Chicago NW Suburb of Crystal Lake, IL

1995hoo

I was going to mention the Virginia Avenue situation in the City of Falls Church and Fairfax County, but I see I mentioned it in the other thread linked above, so for once I won't repeat myself.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

zzcarp

I live on Ross Court. One block east is Ross Street, off of which to the south runs Ross Place. One block west is Routt Street, then Routt Court, then Routt Way. Consistently, I'll get mail for my Routt Street counterpart address and vice versa.

Another one confusing on paper with more major streets: at 92nd Ave in Westminster, Wadsworth Boulevard begins one block east of Wadsworth Parkway. They end up diverging then running parallel approximately a half mile apart to Broomfield. Wadsworth Boulevard is the original alignment and is referred to by locals as "Old Wadsworth" but not signed that way there.

Just to the north in Broomfield, there is a business park development called "Interlocken" where there is an Interlocken Boulevard, an Interlocken Parkway, an Interlocken Crescent, and an Interlocken Loop.

So many miles and so many roads

DandyDan

Omaha has Gibson Road and Bob Gibson Blvd. going south on S 13th St. from I-80. Gibson Road goes down to the Omaha water treatment plant while Bob Gibson Blvd. goes next to where the old baseball stadium was on land now a part of Henry Doorly Zoo.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Bickendan

Portland will do this with numbered avenues at the 'half-block' -- SE 32nd Ave (3200) is followed by SE 32nd Pl (3250ish), then 33rd Ave (3300), 33rd Pl (3250ish).
Rarely, you'll see 'Court' fill the same role for streets. For example, a theoretical SE Woodward Ct (2950ish) would follow Woodward St (2900).

Down in Oak Grove and Jennings Lodge, SE River Rd has thematic naming off its 'spurs' -- SE River Forest Dr, SE River Edge St, etc.

catch22

In Ann Arbor, South 4th & 5th Avenues run north and south, just east of Main Street.  South 4th and 5th Streets also run north and south, a few blocks west of Main Street.

https://goo.gl/maps/YQkKp44EAzQom6Jd9

TEG24601

M-24 in Michigan is often referred to as Lapeer Rd. (it travels from Pontiac to Lapeer).  However, some jurisdictions, like Lake Oriōn, have an entirely separate road called Lapeer Rd., where the highway used to run.

M-21 used to continue beyond Flint to Lapeer, and it was also called Lapeer Rd.  The two highways intersected in Lapeer.

Until my home county created a unified Emergency Dispatch Center, some of the dogleg roads that used to be part of the highway, had the same name as the road intersected, sometimes with or without a different extension.  For example, there was Bayview Rd., and off it was Bayview Rd., which connected to a highway curve, about 1/4 mile away.  Also, about 3 miles west, was a different road called Bayview Ave., with no relation to the other Bayview, except, it also intersected the highway.  There was also a road that changed names a couple of times over its length (the name changed when the road changed from primarily N-S to E-W, and the addresses changed accordingly).  From the west end to east it was Baby Island Dr., Saratoga Rd., Baby Island Ave., and Saratoga Road.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

jp the roadgeek

Lower Manhattan

1st St intersects 1st Ave
2nd St intersects 2nd Ave

Believe it or not, those are the only two official common street/ave number intersections.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

sparker

Here in San Jose there are a number of duplicate street names; some changing suffixes to technically avoid outright replication (i.e., changing a "street" to "avenue" or "lane" or "road" on one of a pair).  The most commonly "mistaken identity" incidents among these are Cottle Avenue and Cottle Road, which are actually about 5 miles apart -- but the latter hosts the largest Kaiser hospital complex in the region.  I reside a couple of blocks from the former -- and people have actually stopped in front of my house while I'm mowing the lawn or trimming bushes and asked where the Kaiser Hospital is located.  Invariably they're new to the area, so I point them toward CA 87 south to CA 85 south, which is the fastest way to get there.  Hopefully the problem isn't an emergency!

M3100

Where I-15 passes through the Rancho Bernardo section of San Diego, CA, there are interchanges with West Bernardo Drive and Rancho Bernardo Road.  Also nearby are Carmel Mountain Road and Carmel Valley Road.

CJResotko

At least half of the roads intersecting Waverly Road in Michigan are examples of this. Waverly road is the border between Ingham and Eaton counties. To the east, it's Ingham and and west to Eaton. Many roads have their street type names changed to Highway once you go through Waverly Road going west. For example, to the east of Waverly Rd, there's Holt Road, and to the west, there's Holt Hwy. You can scroll around Waverly Road on Google Maps to see it all.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6487026,-84.6034136,4294m/data=!3m1!1e3

Rothman

Allendale and Alandale Avenuess intersect at the Albany/Schenectady county line at Central Ave/State Street.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bruce

The corner of Bellevue, Bellevue, and Bellevue...not in the city of Bellevue.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on July 19, 2020, 10:57:32 AM
Allendale and Alandale Avenues intersect at the Albany/Schenectady county line at Central Ave/State Street.

Do I even need to write out the joke here?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.