Streets with similar names in close proximity?

Started by KCRoadFan, July 16, 2020, 10:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

Another confusing one: Alderwood Mall Parkway and Alderwood Mall Boulevard in Lynnwood, WA (Maps link).

Boulevard mainly serves the southwest and runs parallel to I-5 with few pulloffs. Parkway starts at an I-5 ramp, serves the southeast side of the retail sprawl, runs along the east side of the mall proper, then continues north for a bit across SR 525.

Finrod

In far east metro Atlanta, SR 124 has consecutive intersections with Rockbridge Rd and S Rockbridge Rd.  124 crosses the Dekalb/Gwinnett county line in between them, and S Rockbridge Rd in Gwinnett becomes Rockbridge Rd if you take it far enough:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7760848,-84.0774143,17z

When I first encountered this in the late 1990s, S Rockbridge Rd was still Rockbridge Rd, for maximum confusion.  Dekalb Rockbridge goes mostly due west while Gwinnett Rockbridge goes northwest.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

NWI_Irish96

Michigan Rd in Indianapolis has a name change at 38th St to MLK St, and later on to West St, 3.8 miles from where the road intersects Michigan St.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 17, 2020, 03:10:24 PM
I was going to mention the Virginia Avenue situation in the City of Falls Church and Fairfax County, but I see I mentioned it in the other thread linked above, so for once I won't repeat myself.

Considering it was the subject of this post, though, didn't you still repeat yourself?  :-P

skluth

There are consecutive exits on I-10 north of Palm Springs and Cathedral City for Palm Drive and Date Palm Drive. Technically, the one exit is Palm Drive/ Gene Autry Trail, but it can still be confusing.

adwerkema

GaryA

In Santa Barbara, CA, "Carrillo St" and "Castillo St" are consecutive exits (98A and 97) on US 101 southbound, with "Cabrillo Blvd" just a few miles up at 94B.  (Northbound labels exit 97 differently)

They even intersect - you can start on Carrillo, turn on Castillo, and end up at Cabrillo.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on July 21, 2020, 01:57:04 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 17, 2020, 03:10:24 PM
I was going to mention the Virginia Avenue situation in the City of Falls Church and Fairfax County, but I see I mentioned it in the other thread linked above, so for once I won't repeat myself.

Considering it was the subject of this post, though, didn't you still repeat yourself?  :-P

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US 89

Coming into Albuquerque from the west on I-40, you'll pass "Atrisco Vista Blvd" and "Arroyo Vista Blvd" at consecutive interchanges.

The funny thing is Atrisco Vista Blvd used to be called Paseo del Volcan, but that was renamed to avoid confusion with a different Paseo del Volcan further north in Rio Rancho.

Flint1979

In Genesee County, Michigan there is a Miller Road that is a major street on the west side of Flint which actually turns into Lansing Road in Shiawassee County but has a small strip that ends at Sheridan Road (the county line).

About 6 miles south of this is another Miller Road (this one is in Shiawassee County, Ray Road in Genesee County). This Miller Road crosses Lansing Road several miles to the west before becoming Tyrrel Road it picks up again west of Morrice Road for about 3 miles and curves into Ruess Road. The Miller Road in Shiawassee County is different though, it's not a major road and it's very discontinuous such as dead ending for a train crossing and dead ending on both sides of I-69 then the road isn't there at all for about 3 miles between Vernon and Lemon Roads. It picks up one mor

paulthemapguy

I remember riding CUMTD buses through Urbana and Champaign, and between the University campus and downtown Champaign, there would always be a stop at the corner of "White and Wright."  The names may look different when written down, but when announced by the speaker aboard the bus, it was always kind of amusing.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Bruce

Another good one in Renton, WA:

NE Sunset Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard NE split off and serve two different exits on I-405. One being the former alignment of SR 900 and another being the current alignment.

mrsman

Chicago has Wells Street and Ida B. Wells Dr.  They intersect and they are both in the Loop.  This was unnecessary as Ida B. Wells was a recent rename for Congress Pkwy.  Being this close an in the most tourist prone part of the city is only bound to lead to confusion.  IMO, it would have been better to have renamed and or dedicated a portion of the existing Wells street in her honor, or if it is deemed necessary to honor her with a unique street, dedicate something further away from Wells.

zachary_amaryllis

fort collins has center drive, and centre drive, and whats more fun is one turns into the other.
it's not a weird misspelling either. center, is on the n-s grid, and is an extension of center drive on the csu campus.
centre drive, refers to 'the centre for advanced technology' -- a business park thingy on the west side of town, and is on the e-w grid.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

roadman65

McGuire Road in Orlando. Though on opposite ends of the city( in fact one is technically in Ocoee) on traffic reports on radio, it can be confusing as both intersect Colonial Drive which is a major artery for Central Florida. 

Many traffic reports use the eastern McGuire as a reference point for traffic on Colonial which can confuse visitors or locals on the Ocoee side.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.