News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The Guess That Bridge thread!

Started by MCRoads, July 20, 2020, 06:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: MCRoads on May 19, 2021, 11:42:48 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 19, 2021, 07:53:57 AM
Quote from: Jim on May 18, 2021, 10:26:24 PM
I felt a little guilty guessing, but I guess my timing was right.

I'll go with this one:

[img snipped]

I know where that is because I saw it in context in a trip report that included it, so I won't spoil the fun for other people.

That looks like an incredibly cool bridge! Wish I knew where it was.

Well, 1995hoo's comment should be a pretty broad clue as to where to find it!   :biggrin:

I figured it out pretty quick, but someone else can guess because I just went.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on May 20, 2021, 11:59:24 AM
Quote from: MCRoads on May 19, 2021, 11:42:48 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 19, 2021, 07:53:57 AM
Quote from: Jim on May 18, 2021, 10:26:24 PM
I'll go with this one:

I know where that is because I saw it in context in a trip report that included it, so I won't spoil the fun for other people.
That looks like an incredibly cool bridge! Wish I knew where it was.
I figured it out pretty quick, but someone else can guess because I just went.

Alright, it's been long enough: Captain William Moore Bridge in Skagway, AK?

Jim

Correct!  Here's the page in my Alaska 2001 trip report that includes the photo:  https://www.teresco.org/pics/alaska-20010606-30/23-bridge.html

As I was preparing to post this, while making sure I had the right name, I came across this article:

https://skagwaynews.com/2017/05/26/bridge-replacement-on-klondike-highway-begins/

Doesn't it look like the photo on that page, which is supposedly from 2017 and "COURTESY OF ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION" is actually my photo from 2001?
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

webny99

Quote from: Jim on May 24, 2021, 09:30:26 PM
Correct!  Here's the page in my Alaska 2001 trip report that includes the photo:  https://www.teresco.org/pics/alaska-20010606-30/23-bridge.html

Nice! That's almost my whole lifetime ago! Hopefully in another 20 years I'll have had a chance to visit Alaska.

Quote from: Jim on May 24, 2021, 09:30:26 PM
As I was preparing to post this, while making sure I had the right name, I came across this article:

https://skagwaynews.com/2017/05/26/bridge-replacement-on-klondike-highway-begins/

Doesn't it look like the photo on that page, which is supposedly from 2017 and "COURTESY OF ALASKA DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION" is actually my photo from 2001?

Yeah, it does - and the Wikipedia page about the bridge has a very similar photo as well. I suspect the view must be from this pull-off? (Street View isn't very clear, but you can sort of see it if you zoom in.)

1995hoo

Obviously, Jim's trip report is where I had seen the picture. Very striking how the "DOT" photo somehow happens to include exactly the same vehicle.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 24, 2021, 09:48:08 PM
Obviously, Jim's trip report is where I had seen the picture. Very striking how the "DOT" photo somehow happens to include exactly the same vehicle.

Huh, hadn't noticed that detail. The DOT probably obtained it from his site.

webny99

Here's the next bridge (hint: it's not a road bridge, but there is a road bridge nearby that I will accept as the correct answer):

dlsterner

Quote from: webny99 on May 24, 2021, 09:50:25 PM
Here's the next bridge (hint: it's not a road bridge, but there is a road bridge nearby that I will accept as the correct answer):

Well, if nobody else is going to guess ...
Is it the:  CSX - Erie Canal Bridge (Pittsford NY)

webny99

Quote from: dlsterner on May 30, 2021, 05:27:05 PM
Well, if nobody else is going to guess ...
Is it the:  CSX - Erie Canal Bridge (Pittsford NY)

Yes, that is correct! Photo taken from the Erie Canal Trail, although the bridge is visible from NY 96.

dlsterner

Here is the next bridge.  Good Luck everybody!

ozarkman417

Deer Isle Bridge- Maine Route 15

dlsterner

ozarkman417

Not a road bridge, though I took the image from one. The bridges are so far above the water for good reason.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DeaconG

Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

dlsterner

Before we go on any further, I believe ozarkman417's bridge is still in play, and not roadman65's.

According to the OP, the bridge in play remains so until guessed, and then the correct guesser has the privilege of submitting the new bridge.  (With appropriate expiration times of course)

webny99

Or in this case, it had been nearly a week, so maybe ozarkman417 could provide us with another clue?

I've been trying to find his, and once I do, I can cede the rights to post the next photo to DeaconG (once his guess is confirmed correct, as I believe it is).

roadman65

Quote from: ozarkman417 on June 06, 2021, 03:41:00 PM
Not a road bridge, though I took the image from one. The bridges are so far above the water for good reason.

Kentucky? I-24 looking south?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ozarkman417

No, but go ahead and play roadman's bridge if y'all want to. mine is a bad picture yet its the best I have of it. I don't have too many bridge pictures on me, much less good ones.

plain

Found it. It's the railroad bridge beside OK 66 at the Port Of Catoosa.

Newark born, Richmond bred

DeaconG

Quote from: plain on June 18, 2021, 02:15:11 PM

Found it. It's the railroad bridge beside OK 66 at the Port Of Catoosa.

You're next, big man!
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

ozarkman417

Quote from: webny99 on June 12, 2021, 09:32:43 PM
Or in this case, it had been nearly a week, so maybe ozarkman417 could provide us with another clue?
My apologies for not providing another clue. Anyways, plain's guess is correct.

plain

Give me about a day to post a bridge.

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. I have a bridge.

Image from GSV

plain

Hint: why am I warm all of a sudden?

BridgesToIdealism

I feel like that's one of the many railroad bridges in Northern New Jersey crossing either the Passaic or the Hackensack River, but I can't place exactly which one.
Matthew Wong; University of Indianapolis Class of 2024

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.