AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I-5 Rose Quarter (Portland) Widening Project  (Read 11169 times)

Plutonic Panda

• Last Login: Today at 01:27:53 AM
Re: I-5 Rose Quarter (Portland) Widening Project
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2021, 04:05:31 PM »

The governor has thrown her support behind this project. Letís break ground already!

https://katu.com/news/local/gov-brown-voices-support-for-odots-rose-quarter-freeway-expansion

Plutonic Panda

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2021, 04:10:56 PM »

Hereís a link to the official project website: https://www.i5rosequarter.org/

Latest update as a of July 2021:

Design work for the project continues and the independent highway cover concluded in July 2021. Last spring, a design package was produced that includes comments from project partners and community input from the Environmental Assessment. This design update will inform the work of the construction team and support a collaborative approach to addressing design issues, challenges and opportunities moving forward.

According to FAQ on their website this is the construction schedule:

When will construction start, how long will it take, and how will construction impact traffic?
Some components of construction are anticipated to start in 2022, with the main construction components anticipated to start in late 2023 or early 2024. Construction will last about 4 to 5 years. ODOT will work closely with businesses in the project area to implement strategies to limit disruption to businesses during construction, including maintaining event access to the Moda Center. ODOT will also develop a comprehensive transportation management plan to document construction staging and schedule, detours or alternate routes for all modes of travel during road and lane closures, as well as transportation management and operation strategies.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 04:19:51 PM by Plutonic Panda »

Plutonic Panda

Plutonic Panda

Sub-Urbanite

• There's at least a 60% chance I'm just trolling

• Last Login: September 24, 2021, 10:58:11 AM
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2021, 05:45:17 PM »

Hot mess / poison pill from ODOT. Who knows where this goes now. Seems like most likely destination is a mothballing with another 10 years before the topic comes up again.

Plutonic Panda

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2021, 09:07:37 PM »

Well I gather from this article itís moving forward as ODOT seems to believe they can find it. They have to prove it by December 1st(2021). Cost estimates are now around 1.2 billion up from 500 million. Theyíd be wise to just get the damned thing going.

https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/otc-advances-i-5-rose-quarter-improvement-project/53860

compdude787

• Last Login: September 21, 2021, 09:10:45 PM
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2021, 09:10:45 PM »

1.2 billion for about a mile of road. Wow!!  :-o

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: September 22, 2021, 10:04:26 PM
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2021, 09:49:31 PM »

Why do I have the feeling this proposal will meet the same fate as the proposal to replace the Columbia River Crossing?

Plutonic Panda

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2021, 10:00:24 PM »

Is that completely dead? I thought it was moving forward but very slowly amid disagreements with the light rail aspect of it.

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Last Login: Today at 04:33:08 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2021, 10:45:47 PM »

Is that completely dead? I thought it was moving forward but very slowly amid disagreements with the light rail aspect of it.

It was completely called off in 2014 because Oregon wouldn't have been able to fund the whole thing itself. The two states restarted planning in 2019, with hopes of reusing the existing money granted from the feds that has a 2029 repayment deadline.

The light rail section isn't the big hangup, it's just the sheer cost and size of the whole thing. The original plan had a dozen lanes in downtown Vancouver, which isn't going to fly anymore.

Plutonic Panda

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2021, 11:02:18 PM »

It was completely called off in 2014 because Oregon wouldn't have been able to fund the whole thing itself. The two states restarted planning in 2019, with hopes of reusing the existing money granted from the feds that has a 2029 repayment deadline.

The light rail section isn't the big hangup, it's just the sheer cost and size of the whole thing. The original plan had a dozen lanes in downtown Vancouver, which isn't going to fly anymore.
I really donít see 12 lanes as that big of an issue for such a high priority freight corridor. Unless Iím mistaken I recall many articles pointing to the rail aspect as being controversial. I even seem to recall Portlandís metro getting jurisdiction if the rail is built which also ruffled some feathers. Please correct me where Iím wrong as this isnít my area(I still havenít been north of I-80 yet) so it falls behind other priorities in my memory lol. I do seem to recall we have had this discussion somewhere before where someone mentioned the whole Metro jurisdiction thing but I canít remember.

If this really is simply an issue about cost and nothing more thatís even worse, IMO. So whatís the alternative? Do nothing until it ends up like I-40 in Memphis being shutdown until a patch job can be done? Thatís all America is capable of doing? The west coast isnít a poor area of the country, we should be able to do better on its main spine which is I-5. I guess if the state(s) donít want to stomach the opposition it could be easier to just wait until they justifiably shut it down to traffic and see if that changes anyoneís mind as most people donít always cherish what they until itís gone.

Hopefully the new infrastructure bills pass and make this project more feasible. I had no idea it was at an impasse. What is ODOT doing big these days other than the Rose Quarter project if this isnít going anywhere besides wanting to convert free roads into toll roads?

Bruce

• Transit Commuter

• Last Login: Today at 04:33:08 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2021, 11:24:36 PM »

The light rail opposition is from the last bridge attempt. Vancouver proper has a different political landscape now and is thankfully ready to develop around transit, and Clark County is split but could be convinced.

A smaller-scale replacement on top of tolling both crossings and redirecting freight to I-205 could be enough if there's a separate light rail crossing. A congestion toll would work wonders for their traffic.

Oregon places a high priority on the Interstate Bridge Replacement, but Washington has a lot of other needs that we're throwing money at (finishing the SR 520 program, rebuilding Snoqualmie Pass, widening I-405, extending SR 509 and SR 167, ferry replacements, preparing for our own I-5 rebuild in the coming years...and this is all in the Seattle area).

Plutonic Panda

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2021, 11:36:20 PM »

As I said, I wonder if there is any hope with the new infrastructure package. Maybe that can lend a ray of light. Curious what you think the I-5 rebuild could be? Any additional lanes? TBM work?

jakeroot

• Transportation Design

• Last Login: Today at 01:50:37 PM
    • Flickr
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2021, 01:07:16 PM »

As I said, I wonder if there is any hope with the new infrastructure package. Maybe that can lend a ray of light. Curious what you think the I-5 rebuild could be? Any additional lanes? TBM work?

I believe that federal funding has been identified, both before and now, as essential to getting the project built.

A smaller-scale replacement on top of tolling both crossings and redirecting freight to I-205 could be enough if there's a separate light rail crossing. A congestion toll would work wonders for their traffic.

I would think a non-tolled crossing would be quite viable with enough federal funding.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.