Multiple Lanes Ending Consecutively

Started by webny99, February 24, 2021, 01:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

What are some examples of where two or more lanes on the same side of a highway/freeway end at once or in quick succession?

I-20/59 eastbound just east of where the two routes join near Meridian, MS
QEW Niagara at the Red Hill Valley Parkway east of Hamilton, ON*

*Look back a little further and you'll see that a through lane has also just ended, plus the pair of on-ramps that previously merged from Hwy 20, for a stunning eight lanes collapsing into three in under 2 km.

1995hoo

SB Jersey Turnpike just south of Exit 6.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

West end of M-14 as it merges into I-94

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wanderer2575

Both of the OP examples, and the westbound I-94 example, are because of entrance ramp lanes ending.  Is that really what you're looking for?  I see nothing extraordinary about that.  Instances of multiple existing thru lanes ending would be more interesting.

webny99

Quote from: wanderer2575 on February 24, 2021, 01:26:05 PM
Both of the OP examples, and the westbound I-94 example, are because of entrance ramp lanes ending.  Is that really what you're looking for?  I see nothing extraordinary about that.  Instances of multiple existing thru lanes ending would be more interesting.

Either one is fine. To me, it's still interesting if both lanes from the on-ramp end in very quick succession (not necessarily simultaneously, but close to it). Usually, one of the following happens:

(1) at least one lane stays on until the next exit
(2) at least one lane stays on permanently, or until the next major junction
(3) one lane ends from each side of the roadway
(4) one lane ends before the ramp joins the main roadway

That leads me to believe that this is not extremely common, but I'm interested to see how many examples are found. Maybe it will be more prevalent than I expect.

BrianP

A historical one was I-64 in Newport News VA.  It had consecutive lane drops westbound going from 4 lanes to 2 lanes.  They were both left lane endings.

The first hasn't changed.

The second you can still see in Streetview history.

roadman65

The NJ Turnpike before the 1989 widening from 8A to 9. All three truck lanes ended south of NJ 18 in less than a quarter mile.

I do not know how currently they engineered the post Exit 6 confluence, but hopefully they did the blend more gradual.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

US 89

I-15 southbound to I-215 eastbound, Murray UT
About a quarter mile ahead

That section of 215 can be a nightmare to drive because most drivers don't realize after the first added lane ends that the second lane is also going to end, and there's also the State Street exit a bit further down the road which probably half of all traffic merging in from 15 south is heading towards. Combine those two factors and you get a freeway with a hell of a lot of lane changes and weaving in a relatively short time span.

kurumi

(counterexample, where CT 9 southbound quickly expands from 2 lanes to 5: https://goo.gl/maps/VnJcJVvmbkUuLVLn8. In the other direction, the merge down to 2 lanes is more gradual)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

kphoger

Quote from: kurumi on February 24, 2021, 02:14:42 PM
(counterexample, where CT 9 southbound quickly expands from 2 lanes to 5: https://goo.gl/maps/VnJcJVvmbkUuLVLn8. In the other direction, the merge down to 2 lanes is more gradual)

Nuevo León state highway 1 says Hold my beer.

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2021, 02:42:42 PM
Quote from: kurumi on February 24, 2021, 02:14:42 PM

Nuevo León state highway 1 says Hold my beer.

Aren't those beginning rather than ending?  Looking at this on my phone, so it's hard to tell.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: Rothman on February 24, 2021, 02:48:00 PM
Aren't those beginning rather than ending?  Looking at this on my phone, so it's hard to tell.

Yes.  That's why I used it in reply to a post that contained the phrase "counterexample, where CT 9 southbound quickly expands from 2 lanes to 5".
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on February 24, 2021, 03:06:19 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 24, 2021, 02:48:00 PM

Yes.  That's why I used it in reply to a post that contained the phrase "counterexample, where CT 9 southbound quickly expands from 2 lanes to 5".
Ah.  So I see now.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on February 24, 2021, 01:49:44 PM
The NJ Turnpike before the 1989 widening from 8A to 9. All three truck lanes ended south of NJ 18 in less than a quarter mile.

I do not know how currently they engineered the post Exit 6 confluence, but hopefully they did the blend more gradual.

From the gore point to the very end of the merge area, it appears to be 3,550 feet, so roughly 2/3rds of a mile.  On a gradual curve and hill.

Joe The Dragon

vdeane

This happens both directions of the Thruway near Woodbury.  NB there's the merge from the former cash lanes and the ramp from NY 17 both ending; SB, the lanes from the cash booths (and future enforcement pull-off) becomes a through lane and both lanes from NY 17 end.  Weirdly, they don't seem to have plans to change that when the toll booth removal happens there.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

pianocello

Florida's Turnpike northbound goes from 4 lanes to 2 within the span of about a half mile at the FL 50 interchange west of Orlando. Going the other way, the 2 lanes turns to 4 immediately.

https://goo.gl/maps/zHNJTZTGjsQuiY7x9
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

I-55

On one of my trips to Mississippi way back when, I-20/59 had the 6 lane end east of Tuscaloosa, and immediately the left lane was closed for bridge work. Ironic how the road got narrower closer to Tuscaloosa. Glad it's almost done to 359.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

davewiecking

Counting an entrance ramp from Democracy Blvd, the I-270 spur drops from 5 to 3 lanes just before hitting the DC Beltway. On westbound MD-200, the entrance ramps from Ga. Ave and the Metro station are 2 lane ramps that go away "pretty quickly" .

kphoger

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on February 24, 2021, 08:10:58 PM
IL-47 near I-90

Here is GSV of the second taper, with the warning sign for the third one visible in the background.
Male pronouns, please.

deathtopumpkins

The Everett Turnpike in NH briefly squeezes down to 2 lanes each way just south of the 293/101 interchange in Bedford. Coming northbound you have 3 lanes plus 2 entering lanes from the Manchester Airport connector. The three right lanes all end in just under a mile: https://goo.gl/maps/navrjc1NjGUgRZom8

The reverse is true southbound: 3 new lanes are added on the right in the same span.

For a counterexample, we have the current temporary setup at the Charlestown Bridge in Boston, where the one northbound lane on the temporary bridge widens to FIVE lanes at once at Chelsea St: https://goo.gl/maps/aTjQzibp47ob4DSd7
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Flint1979

I-75 at the M-13 Connector goes from four lanes in each direction to two lanes north of that exit. The farthest left lane ends, then the middle two lanes are the through lanes and the right lane becomes the M-13 Connector exit. Going in the southbound direction I-75 goes from two lanes to four with one lane starting just after the overpass of the M-13 Connector and the other continuing from the M-13 Connector to I-75 south.

This is how it's signed on the northbound side.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6091291,-83.9476114,3a,47.8y,352.58h,92.61t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCmMCDb-NvLdysagPZI_bbQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

interstatefan990

Apologies for posting about a video game, but you guys should see the hilarious merge lanes in Grand Theft Auto 5:

Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

kphoger

Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 25, 2021, 01:53:17 PM
Apologies for posting about a video game, but you guys should see the hilarious merge lanes in Grand Theft Auto 5:

Real-life example that I've driven through several times
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.