News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Farthest You Can See in Both Directions

Started by webny99, February 25, 2021, 01:10:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I'm not looking for a specific answer here, more just looking for locations on the road where you can see very far in both directions.

I'll start with one of my favorites, in one of the most remote parts of the country: US 95 in southeastern Oregon

Oh, and I should add: bonus points for being able to see the road itself and not just land/sea/etc.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

interstatefan990

Maybe here?

https://goo.gl/maps/zcdtHQQBQKdKBLoG9

Seems to me like any old long-distance rural Interstate would qualify for this thread.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

kphoger

How about a different sort of location, a road I've personally driven?

Imogene Pass, Colorado
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 25, 2021, 01:27:22 PM
Seems to me like any old long-distance rural Interstate would qualify for this thread.

Not necessarily. Many in the Midwest might, but anything with a lot of curvature (over hills/mountains) wouldn't, and anything that runs through dense vegetation, (like many of the interstates in the Carolinas) also wouldn't.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 25, 2021, 01:39:04 PM

Imogene Pass, Colorado

I was mostly thinking of views from the road, but sure.

I can't compete with Colorado, but Whiteface Mountain isn't too shabby.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on February 25, 2021, 01:42:40 PM

Quote from: kphoger on February 25, 2021, 01:39:04 PM

Imogene Pass, Colorado

That photo sphere was taken quite close to the actual mountain pass.

This vehicle is barely even off the road, for example.  The wooden sign next to it is right here:

So yeah, you can see quite a way in either direction from the road.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 25, 2021, 02:01:56 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 25, 2021, 01:42:40 PM

That photo sphere was taken quite close to the actual mountain pass.

This vehicle is barely even off the road, for example.  The wooden sign next to it is right here:

[img snipped]

So yeah, you can see quite a way in either direction from the road.

It's not paved, and it doesn't look like a road that just any vehicle could travel, so that's a little different, but, it does certainly fit in spirit.

hotdogPi

Curvature of the Earth means that a rural plains Interstate (or US 1 connecting the Keys) will not be the highest. You have to look downhill.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on February 25, 2021, 02:58:10 PM
It's not paved, and it doesn't look like a road that just any vehicle could travel, so that's a little different, but, it does certainly fit in spirit.

Oh, is this only for paved roads?

(I drove it in a rented Jeep Wrangler.)
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 25, 2021, 03:01:15 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 25, 2021, 02:58:10 PM

Oh, is this only for paved roads?

(I drove it in a rented Jeep Wrangler.)

No, unpaved is fine.  :pan:

formulanone

Quote from: 1 on February 25, 2021, 03:00:29 PM
Curvature of the Earth means that a rural plains Interstate (or US 1 connecting the Keys) will not be the highest. You have to look downhill.

The furthest I've ever seen in any one direction on flat land while driving was about 3 miles, based on flashing beacons while travelling 60 mph and using a stopwatch.

The winner so probably some tall hill or gentle mountain-like rise on a very straight road, if the need to see the road continuously applies towards this search.

renegade

Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

webny99

Quote from: formulanone on February 25, 2021, 03:22:31 PM
The winner so probably some tall hill or gentle mountain-like rise on a very straight road, if the need to see the road continuously applies towards this search.

Ahem:

Quote from: webny99 on February 25, 2021, 01:10:30 PM
I'll start with one of my favorites, in one of the most remote parts of the country: US 95 in southeastern Oregon

interstatefan990

Quote from: webny99 on February 25, 2021, 01:39:35 PM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 25, 2021, 01:27:22 PM

Not necessarily. Many in the Midwest might, but anything with a lot of curvature (over hills/mountains) wouldn't, and anything that runs through dense vegetation, (like many of the interstates in the Carolinas) also wouldn't.

When you said "farthest you can see in both directions" did you mean the physical roadway or the landscape in general? Because even on mountainous and curvy routes, there can still be a lot of visibility due to higher elevation and/or the overall rural area the highway runs through.

US 50/I-70 in Salina, Utah:

https://goo.gl/maps/95bQF4anWikPqUXP6
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

webny99

Quote from: interstatefan990 on February 25, 2021, 03:48:11 PM
When you said "farthest you can see in both directions" did you mean the physical roadway or the landscape in general? Because even on mountainous and curvy routes, there can still be a lot of visibility due to higher elevation and/or the overall rural area the highway runs through.

US 50/I-70 in Salina, Utah:

https://goo.gl/maps/95bQF4anWikPqUXP6

I originally had in mind the physical roadway (see the OP example) but either way is fine.

Jim

I immediately thought about my ride on US 93 through southeastern Nevada.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

jeffandnicole

Midspan of the 17.5 mile long Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel, you can see land on both ends.  https://goo.gl/maps/d8XgbQzzNutBaMbUA

JayhawkCO

Quote from: formulanone on February 25, 2021, 03:22:31 PM

The furthest I've ever seen in any one direction on flat land while driving was about 3 miles, based on flashing beacons while travelling 60 mph and using a stopwatch.

Or a situation with mountains in the distance as they will overcome the curvature of the earth to be visible, so you don't need to look downhill.

Chris

Bruce

From many points in Seattle and Everett, one can see both Tahoma (Mount Rainier) and Koma Kulshan (Mount Baker). If driving on I-5 north of Everett, that's about 81 miles to Tahoma and 57 miles to Kulshan. In fact, the lowest part of Tahoma is cut off from that distance due to the curvature of the earth's surface.

JoePCool14

This would be the perfect thread for someone to post a GMSV link that points towards the ground.  :spin:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Bruce on February 25, 2021, 04:19:41 PM
From many points in Seattle and Everett, one can see both Tahoma (Mount Rainier) and Koma Kulshan (Mount Baker). If driving on I-5 north of Everett, that's about 81 miles to Tahoma and 57 miles to Kulshan. In fact, the lowest part of Tahoma is cut off from that distance due to the curvature of the earth's surface.

Another one from Colorado.  On clear days, you can see both Wyoming and Kansas, so upwards of 150 miles to the north and east.  And according to this, you can see the summit of Mount Antero which is about 73 miles away to the west.

Chris

Terry Shea

I think we need a few parameters set here, because being able to see mountain peaks off in the distance is not the same as having 1 long continuous view.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.