News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unpopular Anything Road-Related Opinions

Started by Ned Weasel, March 26, 2021, 01:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 14, 2021, 11:45:14 AM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on June 14, 2021, 11:11:30 AM
Signing cardinal directions is generally more trouble than it's worth, and any navigational benefit would be exceeded by a more thoughtful implementation of control cities.
If only ISTHA uses Milwaukee instead of Wisconsin for NB, I mean WB, I-94, that would be more useful. I-90 also goes to Wisconsin from Chicago, in a different direction.

My recollection is that "Wisconsin" is only used on the Tri-State Tollway when paired with "Indiana."  That makes perfect sense on that stretch of highway.

But at the I-294 interchange with I-90, they pair "Milwaukee" and "Rockford" as the control cities.

TXtoNJ

Quote from: SkyPesos on June 15, 2021, 09:06:33 AM
Quote from: Bickendan on June 15, 2021, 06:28:28 AM
We should use the international speed limit signs - the red bordered white circle with just the number in it.
Does that require switching to the metric system or not? As much as I like a switch, the US in general seems too lazy to do so.

No, the UK uses the red circle and MPH.

The problem is you'll run into a bunch of old intransigent engineer types who won't accept an eminently reasonable change like this, because "red on white signs is for prohibition", or "circles are for exceptional hazards like railroad crossings".

kphoger

Quote from: Bickendan on June 15, 2021, 06:28:28 AM
the international speed limit signs - the red bordered white circle with just the number in it.

THE international speed limit sign?

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

vdeane

Plus you know those jokes of people confusing the route number and the speed limit?  Imagine how many times that could happen in real life if the speed limit sign were made to look like a route shield - especially in states like New Mexico.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TXtoNJ

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2021, 01:11:57 PM

Canada's look like America's.

The US not shifting to the red circle makes sense to me, but Canada not doing so (especially Quebec) does not. Really think the Australian standard should be adopted.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TXtoNJ on June 15, 2021, 01:35:02 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2021, 01:11:57 PM

Canada's look like America's.

The US not shifting to the red circle makes sense to me, but Canada not doing so (especially Quebec) does not. Really think the Australian standard should be adopted.
Maybe it's because Canada borders America and wants to be consistent.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

The US not shifting to the red circle makes sense to me, but Canada not doing so (especially Quebec) does not.

Why does that make any less sense than the US?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2021, 01:38:44 PM
The US not shifting to the red circle makes sense to me, but Canada not doing so (especially Quebec) does not.

The US likes to be different.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2021, 01:40:21 PM

The US likes to be different.

But not just for the sake of being different–any moreso than other countries.  The US doesn't change to some other signage system because there's no benefit in doing so.  I likewise don't see how Canada changing to some other signage system would provide any benefit to them.
Male pronouns, please.

TXtoNJ

Canada metricated (halfway). There's much more openness to conforming to international standards. Compare that to the US, which developed its own standards, and is resistant to change simply for the sake of conformity.

kphoger

Quote from: TXtoNJ on June 15, 2021, 02:08:55 PM

Canada metricated (halfway). There's much more openness to conforming to international standards. Compare that to the US, which developed its own standards, and is resistant to change simply for the sake of conformity.

I guess I just don't see speed limit sign conformity as being nearly as advantageous as metrification.
Male pronouns, please.

RobbieL2415

Personally, I find UK road signage to be a bit too abstract. The UK uses shapes to denote classification (warning, statutory, prohibitive, etc), whereas the MUTCD is largely color and symbol based.

Like, I know that in the US every warning sign is yellow, every guide sign is green, and every service sign is blue. You would never see one color used for multiple classes.

But, in the UK, it could be a combination of anything. For instance, a blue circle with an arrow pointing left is a directional sign indicating traffic must go left, but a blue square sign could be anything that gives information: a guide sign, a sign indicating a police checkpoint is ahead, or even a sign denoting a parking area.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2021, 02:15:57 PM
Quote from: TXtoNJ on June 15, 2021, 02:08:55 PM

I guess I just don't see speed limit sign conformity as being nearly as advantageous as metrification.
I do think that the world should use 1 speed limit sign to avoid confusion across nations.

kphoger

Who's getting confused?  Are foreign visitors renting cars in the USA and not knowing what the speed limit is?  (I mean, other than really rare cases?)
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2021, 03:22:04 PM
Who's getting confused?  Are foreign visitors renting cars in the USA and not knowing what the speed limit is?  (I mean, other than really rare cases?)
Well other signs, like the stop sign, are universal.

RobbieL2415

If you don't know English and don't know that we use Imperial measurements for highway signs, then maybe.

That has been a complaint of many -- that the Manual is too English-centric. I've always assumed the goal has been to phase out as much of the word-based signage as possible and replace them with pictograms or symbols.

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2021, 03:25:17 PM
Yield is too.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2021, 03:32:41 PM

The left and right ones are confusing, the middle one is not.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2021, 03:33:14 PM

1.  My point is that stop signs aren't universal.

2.  Please explain how the left and right ones are confusing but the middle one is not.
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2021, 03:40:42 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2021, 03:33:14 PM

1.  My point is that stop signs aren't universal.

2.  Please explain how the left and right ones are confusing but the middle one is not.
The middle one has stop in both the native language and English.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2021, 03:52:10 PM

Why should it need to have English?
Male pronouns, please.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2021, 03:54:12 PM

If there are a lot of English speakers in the area it should be in English. That's why I think that using the octagon is a good idea, as people will know it's the stop sign even if they can't read what's on it.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on June 15, 2021, 04:11:33 PM

Quote from: kphoger on June 15, 2021, 03:54:12 PM

If there are a lot of English speakers in the area it should be in English. That's why I think that using the octagon is a good idea, as people will know it's the stop sign even if they can't read what's on it.

Then the one on the left isn't confusing, because there aren't a lot of English speakers in Cuba.

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.