News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Unpopular Opinions (sports edition)

Started by kenarmy, March 31, 2021, 01:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: texaskdog on May 12, 2021, 09:53:21 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 02:27:00 PM
Quote from: kenarmy on May 12, 2021, 02:18:26 PM
- Poker shouldn't be displayed on ESPN.

Preach it, brother!  Amen!

Quote from: kenarmy on May 12, 2021, 02:18:26 PM
- If you fish as a sport or watch it, please seek help!

I forget now who said it:  Fishing isn't a sport, it's a form of alcoholism.

Throw bowling in there too. 

And no one should ever watch others bowl, fish, or play golf.
I grew up watching bowling. It's a sport. Just because you suck at it doesn't make it illegitimate.

tchafe1978

There are many sports where you don't have to be a great athlete to play them, bowling, fishing, and golf among them. I'd call those activities more of a sport than say, gymnastics or figure skating. Bowling, fishing, and golf your outcome at the end of the game or tournament is entirely dependent on your performance. Now gymnasts and figure skaters might be superior athletes to bowlers, fishers, or golfers, but the outcome of their competition isn't based purely on your own performance, it is based on judging, and therefore open to interpretation.

kphoger

Quote from: tchafe1978 on May 12, 2021, 11:15:25 PM
There are many sports where you don't have to be a great athlete to play them, bowling, fishing, and golf among them. I'd call those activities more of a sport than say, gymnastics or figure skating. Bowling, fishing, and golf your outcome at the end of the game or tournament is entirely dependent on your performance. Now gymnasts and figure skaters might be superior athletes to bowlers, fishers, or golfers, but the outcome of their competition isn't based purely on your own performance, it is based on judging, and therefore open to interpretation.

I'm kind of confused by your take.  Could you succinctly say what's the difference between a sport and a non-sport activity?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tchafe1978

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2021, 09:45:07 AM

I'm kind of confused by your take.  Could you succinctly say what's the difference between a sport and a non-sport activity?

I was trying to say a non-sport activity is one where the outcome is based not solely on your own performance, like say bowling a higher score than your opponent. But one like gymnastics or figure skating where the outcome is based on a judge's opinion on your performance. Gymnasts and figure skaters are given ratings based on a judge's opinion, and there have been controversial results in the past based on judge's ratings in the Olympics. Bowling, or many other sports, your score is your score, and there is no disputing that.

Scott5114

Quote from: tchafe1978 on May 13, 2021, 09:54:03 AM
Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2021, 09:45:07 AM

I was trying to say a non-sport activity is one where the outcome is based not solely on your own performance, like say bowling a higher score than your opponent. But one like gymnastics or figure skating where the outcome is based on a judge's opinion on your performance. Gymnasts and figure skaters are given ratings based on a judge's opinion, and there have been controversial results in the past based on judge's ratings in the Olympics. Bowling, or many other sports, your score is your score, and there is no disputing that.

This would mean that chess is unquestionably a sport, and poker almost certainly is (while randomness is introduced into the process by the cards, the skill being tested is how to effectively manage that randomness, e.g. by choosing not to play when one receives unfavorable cards). 
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

Chess is not a sport because it requires no physical activity.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 13, 2021, 03:29:35 PM
Same for racing automobiles.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Scott5114

That could actually make it more competitive, though–how many skilled athletes are forced to retire because of injuries that make them unable to continue playing?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 13, 2021, 04:16:41 PM
Same for racing automobiles.

Take away HVAC, throw in many more curves, remove 80% of the suspension movement, tackle turns at 2-4 times the forces of gravity, brake 3-4 times sooner, triple your typical commuting speed, make 50 gearshifts every 90 seconds, and compete against 20-40 others who want your job at the same time...just like your daily commute, right? You don't realize the best drivers get a good workout over the event because they're athletes.

thspfc

A sport is always a game, but a game is not always a sport. Chess and poker are games. They're not sports. I would make motorsports its own category, separate from regular sports.

gr8daynegb

And I'm thinking if they give competitive eating and spelling bee as much coverage as they do then I've alright with poker lol
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

hotdogPi

They used to show Magic: the Gathering tournaments between 1997 and 2000. The issue with that one is that not everyone knows how to play.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

texaskdog

Quote from: gr8daynegb on May 14, 2021, 09:25:03 AM
And I'm thinking if they give competitive eating and spelling bee as much coverage as they do then I've alright with poker lol

and cornholing

texaskdog

Quote from: 1 on May 14, 2021, 09:25:53 AM
They used to show Magic: the Gathering tournaments between 1997 and 2000. The issue with that one is that not everyone knows how to play.

I don't know how to play poker

JayhawkCO

Quote from: texaskdog on May 14, 2021, 09:43:35 AM
Quote from: 1 on May 14, 2021, 09:25:53 AM

I don't know how to play poker

But much quicker to learn that than Magic: The Gathering.

Chris

Alps

Quote from: gr8daynegb on May 14, 2021, 09:25:03 AM
Competitive eating is a sport. If you haven't done it, you don't get it.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: formulanone on May 14, 2021, 07:06:07 AM
Take away HVAC, throw in many more curves, remove 80% of the suspension movement, tackle turns at 2-4 times the forces of gravity, brake 3-4 times sooner, triple your typical commuting speed, make 50 gearshifts every 90 seconds, and compete against 20-40 others who want your job at the same time...just like your daily commute, right? You don't realize the best drivers get a good workout over the event because they're athletes.

Them drivers sure don't look like athletes.  Bunch of scrawny dudes who look they stepped out of your average cubicle.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

formulanone

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 17, 2021, 04:36:02 PM

Them drivers sure don't look like athletes.  Bunch of scrawny dudes who look they stepped out of your average cubicle.

An adage from years ago was: "I remember when the drivers were fat and the tires were skinny." On the other hand, pro drivers of the past didn't need a manager/agent to help run their careers and schedules; they carried around their own nerves of steel.

kphoger

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 17, 2021, 04:36:02 PM

Yeah, unlike golfers.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: thspfc on May 14, 2021, 08:44:44 AM
I would make motorsports its own category, separate from regular sports.

Well, then, just call it "auto racing" or just "racing", period! Do we have to bitch and gripe about whether or not this one category is a sport or a game?! If chess is a game, call it a game. If E-Sports is not a sport, then call it gaming. If basketball is a sport, call it a sport. I mean, dadgum! Just call whatever that sport or game as it is! I thought that debate was settled years ago as to what certain activities would be known as, whether it's a game or a sport.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

1995hoo

NASCAR isn't racing. It's racin'.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SP Cook

IMHO,

- Judged things, like gymnastics or figure skating are simply not sports.  Someone has decided that there is some "correct" way to turn a flip or roll about on the floor.  OK.  If that is a "sport" then someone could decide a "correct" way to unload a truck and judge that.  Not a sport.

- Motorsports are motorsports.  It is a different category all its own.

- Golf, tennis, bowling, et al, are certainly sports.  They meet every possible criteria for being a sport.  Just because a person does not look like a Greek statue does not make them not athletes.  Ever seen a football lineman? 

Roadgeekteen

NASCAR is boring and much worse than even baseball, tennis, or volleyball. The only sport less interesting is golf.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

texaskdog

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 25, 2021, 03:51:14 PM
NASCAR is boring and much worse than even baseball, tennis, or volleyball. The only sport less interesting is golf.

What's funny is on TV the cautions are the most boring.  When you attend it gets really boring to where you want a restart to kick things up again.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: texaskdog on May 25, 2021, 04:09:13 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 25, 2021, 03:51:14 PM

What's funny is on TV the cautions are the most boring.  When you attend it gets really boring to where you want a restart to kick things up again.

With all those I would always put "boring watching on tv", football in person to me is kinda boring.....on TV with all that extra stuff not boring

Guarantee for the driver NASCAR is not boring lol

So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.