News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Abandoned bridge finds

Started by FLRoads, June 01, 2010, 06:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

I didn't get a picture because it was almost dark and I was short on time..... US301 over the Savannah River between SC and GA.. Has a long bridge over the floodplain.. Looks pretty cool. The new road is built on berms for a lot of it

cl94

I have pictures somewhere, but there's this one in Angola, NY over Eighteenmile Creek. Access road for it is 1/4 mile W of US 20. It is open for pedestrian traffic, but the north end doesn't really lead anywhere.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

US71

Not quite abandoned are the Ozark Trail / State Road A-7 bridges near Marked Tree, Arkansas. There are a total of 4 bridges between Marked Tree and Tyronza dating back to the early 1920's

Tyronza

Marked Tree

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cl94

Quote from: cl94 on March 23, 2016, 06:56:55 PM
I have pictures somewhere, but there's this one in Angola, NY over Eighteenmile Creek. Access road for it is 1/4 mile W of US 20. It is open for pedestrian traffic, but the north end doesn't really lead anywhere.

Alright, I found my pictures. All taken last July.

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

noelbotevera

I had a covered bridge map of Bedford County, PA and we visited a couple interesting ones. I remember two of them and they were abandoned: the Bowser Bridge and the Cuppets Bridge. Both had been abandoned due to deterioration.

Fred Defender

There are a number of neat old abandoned bridges in Ohio. This one is near the town of Zoar, not too far south of Canton. The "new" bridge which carries Tuscarawas County Rd 82 was built in the early-to-mid 1960's, I believe.

There's another, even cooler one nearby:

http://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=ohio/zoarville/
AGAM

1995hoo

WTOP-FM has this slideshow of "Ghost Roads: Haunted, forgotten bridges of Maryland and Virginia." In previous years as Halloween approached they highlighted abandoned or old roads in DC; this year, they went to the suburbs and beyond.

http://wtop.com/local/2016/10/ghost-bridges-haunted-forgotten-spans-md-va/slide/1/
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ColossalBlocks

I apologize in advance for bumping.

There's an old two-span truss bridge over the Black River in Hendrickson, Missouri that sits abandoned and overgrown with kudzu on an old alignment of US 67.

https://bridgehunter.com/mo/butler/hendrickson/

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

MCRoads

Near exit 140, there is a disused truss Bridge, but if you don't Ming going off reading, I think you can still drive across it!
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

US71

There's one at Lee Creek in Van Buren, about 20 miles from me.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

There are a bunch of abandoned bridges in Oklahoma. They have the habit of building new bridges and leaving the old bridges standing. Which is a great thing for me.

Marf

Not hidden, but there used to be one near US 1 in Brunswick, ME.
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

bugo

I just found an old truss bridge near Inola, Oklahoma. It is a rather large humpback through truss bridge that is about 175' long that is sitting over a small creek. It is not listed on bridgehunter.com and I don't think anybody in the road community knows about it. I'm going to go check it out in a couple of days.

kphoger

Quote from: bugo on December 29, 2017, 07:42:28 PM
I just found an old truss bridge near Inola, Oklahoma. It is a rather large humpback through truss bridge that is about 175' long that is sitting over a small creek. It is not listed on bridgehunter.com and I don't think anybody in the road community knows about it. I'm going to go check it out in a couple of days.

I'm interested.  The only reference I can find to an abandoned bridge in that area is a smaller pony truss over Inola Creek from 1910.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

I should know something in a couple of days. I'll post about it here and on Bridgehunter and Facebook once I get some information confirmed.

Max Rockatansky

The 1910 Merced River Bridge on Signed County Route J18:

IMG_2111 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2112 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2117 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

IMG_2118 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

texaskdog

There are a couple of old bridges from Granger Lake in Texas that were put on a walking path.  I have pictures but have never had luck posting on this page.  Also there is the Moore's Crossing bridge which was put on Burleson Road in Austin before the road was rerouted, and was used on the show "The Leftovers".

bugo

I recently discovered this bridge in Wagoner County, OK. It crosses an old channel of the Verdigris River. This is the bridge I mentioned earlier in this thread.

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bugo

Quote from: cjk374 on March 30, 2018, 11:09:36 PM
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmgMLTw3

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmf9ZgAX

I have been busy the last couple of days.  :sombrero:

I already told you in chat, but that's a hell of a find.

cjk374

Quote from: bugo on March 31, 2018, 01:21:55 AM
Quote from: cjk374 on March 30, 2018, 11:09:36 PM
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmgMLTw3

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmf9ZgAX

I have been busy the last couple of days.  :sombrero:

I already told you in chat, but that's a hell of a find.

The truss bridge I found yesterday I found using bridgehunter.com. It had information, but no pictures. I wasn't expecting to find THAT. Lol!

kurumi

Thompsonville Bridge (old CT 190); ironwork removed c. 1971 after current CT 190 bridge opened. There's better access and viewing from the east bank as shown. I didn't see any ceremonial signs at either side.

Looks like part of a Super Mario level
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bugo

Quote from: cjk374 on March 31, 2018, 07:16:12 AM
The truss bridge I found yesterday I found using bridgehunter.com. It had information, but no pictures. I wasn't expecting to find THAT. Lol!

Did you get pictures?

Flint1979

Abandoned bridge just south of the Gordonville Road bridge (which is visible in the picture) in Midland, Michigan

cjk374

Quote from: bugo on March 31, 2018, 07:00:00 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on March 31, 2018, 07:16:12 AM

Did you get pictures?

It should be one of the links I posted above.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.