News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Worst episodes of shows you like

Started by OCGuy81, May 03, 2021, 11:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

A spinoff if you will  :-P of the thread of favorite TV episodes.

What're the worst episodes of shows that, in your opinion, are otherwise great?

Some of mine.

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION

The Loss - 40 minutes of Troi bitching about losing her powers and not being able to sense people's feelings.  Oh boo hoo!

Sub Rosa - from the final season, this felt more like a daytime soap than an episode of Star Trek TNG.

BREAKING BAD

Fly - The only weak episode in the entire series.  The pacing is slow, nothing really happens, didn't care for this one and generally skip it on re-watching.

kurumi

Torchwood, from many years ago: the episode where one of the guys falls in love with an evil cyber-woman (robot/woman mashup in a laughable costume) for no reason other than to get the team in trouble. I stopped watching the show.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

JayhawkCO

The finales of Game of Thrones, Dexter, and Lost.

Chris

OCGuy81

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 03, 2021, 12:07:34 PM
The finales of Game of Thrones, Dexter, and Lost.

Chris

Oh man, I can't believe I forgot about Game of Thrones.

I like to pretend the season 6 finale was the end of the series.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: kurumi on May 03, 2021, 11:41:26 AM
Torchwood, from many years ago: the episode where one of the guys falls in love with an evil cyber-woman (robot/woman mashup in a laughable costume) for no reason other than to get the team in trouble. I stopped watching the show.

I like Doctor Who but I really, really couldn't stand Torchwood. The acting was downright awful.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Rothman

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 03, 2021, 01:59:00 PM

I like Doctor Who but I really, really couldn't stand Torchwood. The acting was downright awful.
Despite having seen every available episode of Doctor Who, I was very wary of Torchwood.  Saw part of that episode finally with the mostly naked cyberwoman and knew I had made the right choice staying away from it.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bulldog1979

Star Trek: The Next Generation, "Shades of Gray". QED.

In_Correct

Quote from: OCGuy81 on May 03, 2021, 11:13:48 AM
A spinoff if you will  :-P of the thread of favorite TV episodes.

What're the worst episodes of shows that, in your opinion, are otherwise great?

Some of mine.

STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION

The Loss - 40 minutes of Troi bitching about losing her powers and not being able to sense people's feelings.  Oh boo hoo!

Sub Rosa - from the final season, this felt more like a daytime soap than an episode of Star Trek TNG.

BREAKING BAD

Fly - The only weak episode in the entire series.  The pacing is slow, nothing really happens, didn't care for this one and generally skip it on re-watching.

Actually ... I am not sure ... at the moment ... I simply want to comment on some of yours.

The Loss by Dennis McCarthy:

Actually not that bad of an episode.

The episode is about Deanna, which is derived from two characters ... one from Star Trek, one from out side of Star Trek, but had many peoples working on it.

The character Deanna is based on Ilia, but the interaction from her mother is partially based on a real life bonding between Marina and The Roddenberrys, as well as Mrs. King's Mother. The interactions between Dreanna and L'Waxana is an extreme version of Amanda and Dotty.

Deanna got few lines. She is supposed to sit there looking very pretty. Unlike Seven, it took a very long time for Deanna to get any actual good episodes. It was not until Face Of The Enemy by Don Davis where she goes against Toreth played by Carolyn Seymour.

Despite The Loss being a Deanna Is Annoying episode, there is Guinan. Guinan is a character that should appear more as well.

I could not stand Sub Rosa by Jay Chattaway. It is one of the weaker episodes by Jay Chattaway. Occasionally Jay Chattaway composed good music such as: Aquiel, Repression, and Human Error. The story is also not good either. There is some annoying creature that irritates every member of Beverly's family. Gates McFadden left the programme after the First Season for many reasons. This episode is one of them. Unfortunately, it got made any ways.

As for the Star Trek episodes I like the least are generally by David Bell and Velton Ray Bunch. ... about Stories: That is all most any Holodeck episode, and any episode about a supposed to be heroic character but ends up being annoying. It is kinda like when Trip and T'Pol got together Out Of The Blue at the last minute just as when Chris and Maggie.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

Scott5114

That episode made my wife hate Troi as a character. Apparently, without being able to sense people's feelings, Troi doesn't know how to not be a jerk to everyone.

Quote from: bulldog1979 on May 03, 2021, 08:04:02 PM
Star Trek: The Next Generation, "Shades of Gray". QED.

Clip show!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Roadgeekteen

The Great Divide from Avatar the Last Airbender.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Dinosaurs; everyone is implied to be doomed to a freezing death as the ice age sets in.  I don't know how "bad"  it can be considered to be, but it was punch in the face to me as a child.  It was one hell of a 180 degree flip for a comedy show.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2021, 07:54:06 PM

Despite having seen every available episode of Doctor Who, I was very wary of Torchwood.  Saw part of that episode finally with the mostly naked cyberwoman and knew I had made the right choice staying away from it.

They created a radio episode to commemorate the activation of the Large Hadron Collider. I made the mistake of listening to it. The acting is quite possibly the worst I've ever heard...and I've sat through Manos: the Hands of Fate.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 03, 2021, 09:16:12 PM
Quote from: Rothman on May 03, 2021, 07:54:06 PM

They created a radio episode to commemorate the activation of the Large Hadron Collider. I made the mistake of listening to it. The acting is quite possibly the worst I've ever heard...and I've sat through Manos: the Hands of Fate.

Manos: the Hands of Fate is so bad that it's actually glorious.  It is up there with The Room and Birdemic as some of my favorite terrible movies.

Scott5114

TheHighwayMan3561

TNG piling-on:

Code of Honor, season 1 (it sucks even with the racism issues put aside)
Imaginary Friend, season 5

TOS: Spock's Brain, season 3 - additionally, the entire second half of season 3

VOY: Threshold, season 2. WTF were they thinking? Was this where they just have everybody in the writing room purposely come up with the dumbest possible "shock"  moment knowing it just makes you and the show look stupid? "hahaha let's make Tom Paris into a salamander"  "hahahahah we should make Janeway one too!"  "OH OH I GOT IT LET'S HAVE THEM MATE AND HAVE BABIES! HAHAHAHAHAHA"
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

vdeane

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 03, 2021, 10:18:07 PM
TNG piling-on:

Code of Honor, season 1 (it sucks even with the racism issues put aside)
Imaginary Friend, season 5

TOS: Spock's Brain, season 3 - additionally, the entire second half of season 3

VOY: Threshold, season 2. WTF were they thinking? Was this where they just have everybody in the writing room purposely come up with the dumbest possible "shock"  moment knowing it just makes you and the show look stupid? "hahaha let's make Tom Paris into a salamander"  "hahahahah we should make Janeway one too!"  "OH OH I GOT IT LET'S HAVE THEM MATE AND HAVE BABIES! HAHAHAHAHAHA"

There's a difference between some of those.  Spock's Brain is so bad it's good.  Possibly Threshold too.  Code of Honor, however, is just plain bad.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

wxfree

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2021, 08:19:31 PM

That episode made my wife hate Troi as a character. Apparently, without being able to sense people's feelings, Troi doesn't know how to not be a jerk to everyone.

I saw a really interesting discussion about this.  Betazoids are telepathic, but Deanna was half-human and had more limited empathic abilities.  Betazoids don't seem to have what I would call human empathy, the ability we have to identify with other people's emotions, because they have telepathic empathy, the ability to experience other people's emotions.  Deanna was always aware of how her words and actions made people feel, because she could feel it, too.  She didn't need to develop the skills we have to pick up on emotions.  Once that telepathic empathy was lost, she became quite unpleasant.

On Voyager, Lon Suder was an extreme case.  He was a Betazoid with weak telepathic abilities, and he was a psychopathic killer.  He seemed to have no empathy at all.  With less telepathic ability, the way they usually identify with others, Betazoids seem to see others as less real.  Deanna wasn't that bad, she probably has some human empathy, being half-human, but she didn't know how to use it.  It's a very interesting piece of species development.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

kkt

Yes, Star Trek (TOS), Spock's Brain

Deep Space 9, Move Along Home

index

Anything in season 10 of Trailer Park Boys.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2021, 08:19:31 PM

My thought on this though is that if one of us was stripped of a key sense we possessed (probably sight or hearing being the best of the apples to oranges comparison to Troi's empathic abilities), most of us would be pretty big time assholes to just about everybody around us while trying to make the likely slow and painful adaptation to the very different world we were suddenly thrust into.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

In_Correct

Code Of Honor by Fred Steiner had potential ... but there is one thing that ruined it.

Imaginary Friend by Dennis McCarthy is a Guinan episode. These are hardly bad.

And about Deanna, Suder, and extreme Betazoids ... There is Tam Elbrun from Tin Man by Jay Chattaway. He was born with all of his Telepathy fully developed, and was overwhelmed. He indirectly caused the death of several people, but I Sensed that Deanna was more insecure around him even more than Riker. Eventually, Tam was summoned by a space creature. This is a very good episode for Data, who takes command of the bridge, and advocates for Tam when Deanna would not.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

mgk920

I'll pile on some more with Star Trek - TNG here.  For me, although I don't remember its title, that final season episode where Starfleet Command imposed that cosmic speed limit on their ships.  IMHO, that was the true 'Jump the Shark' moment of the series, I couldn't force myself to watch any of the final few episodes that followed it.

:banghead:

Mike

Scott5114

Quote from: mgk920 on May 05, 2021, 10:30:54 PM
I'll pile on some more with Star Trek - TNG here.  For me, although I don't remember its title, that final season episode where Starfleet Command imposed that cosmic speed limit on their ships. 

I remember reading that the writers pretty much immediately realized what a corner they'd written themselves into with that. That's why when Voyager goes to warp the nacelles move into a V shape–this little bit of animation does some sort of technological process that causes it to be okay for them to exceed the "speed limit".

interstatefan990

Any crossover episode done with a show of lesser quality. Unless the directors/producers are really good at preserving the appeal of the original show, it just ends up being a failed, sometimes boring mixture of plot lines and character perspectives.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

roadman65

Dallas. Being of it's nature as a continuous episode, I will say the worst storyline.  It was when JR was in prison for rape.  I mean JR doing hard time was ridiculous even for his character. The whole ordeal was written poorly. The rape was not a real rape, but JR sleeping with the sister of two crazed hillbillies who got pissed off at him from stealing their pure sisters virginity. The sheriff caught the two crazy brothers ready to murder JR, but threw JR in jail instead without due process or a trial. Even with 1800 s rationale which that was based, premarital sex was not rape then either.

JR was bad, but if he were to go to jail let it be for the real crimes he committed or not make him look stupid while in Jail. JR was much smarter than that to be harassed by a kangaroo court.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.