News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

No gas!

Started by tolbs17, May 11, 2021, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Brandon on May 11, 2021, 08:02:02 PM
Quote from: Bruce on May 11, 2021, 07:12:39 PM
...Maybe we should have multiple viable modes of transport in our cities after all.

You do realize this affects trains that run on diesel fuel, buses that run on diesel fuel, powerplants that may use diesel fuel in some way, shape, or form, etc?

Interesting to note a lot of those buses in Seattle (which I believe the post was based off of) run off overhead electric lines.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2021, 08:05:58 PM
...Maybe we should have multiple viable modes of transport in our cities after all.

You do realize this affects trains that run on diesel fuel, buses that run on diesel fuel, powerplants that may use diesel fuel in some way, shape, or form, etc?

Interesting to note a lot of those buses in Seattle (which I believe the post was based off of) run off overhead electric lines.
The Wikipedia article about trolley buses list 5 US cities that operate them today, and Seattle has the second largest trolley bus system of those 5 cities after San Francisco.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 11, 2021, 08:13:27 PM

The Wikipedia article about trolley buses list 5 US cities that operate them today, and Seattle has the second largest trolley bus system of those 5 cities after San Francisco.

Interesting, I would have never guessed visiting both as frequently as I do that SF was ahead of Seattle in that department.

hbelkins

Per WYMT-TV and reports from friends, shortages and lines are being reported at some stations in southern Kentucky. Unsurprisingly, these are places that get their supply from Knoxville instead of Ashland.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

interstatefan990

No lines but gas is now $4.49 a gallon in my area!  :banghead:
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Bruce

Yep, we also have a large hybrid fleet and are working on getting more battery electric buses.

But the point I was making is that overreliance on a single mode is going to lead to situations like this...we didn't learn from the 1970s oil crisis at all.

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2021, 07:47:27 PM
Before everyone goes all Freewayjim just know that I paid $4.08 for 87 octane as a normal thing yesterday in Fresno.
good lord... gassed up for 2.77 for 85 octane here in colorado oh... a few days agp
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: zachary_amaryllis on May 11, 2021, 09:59:24 PM
Before everyone goes all Freewayjim just know that I paid $4.08 for 87 octane as a normal thing yesterday in Fresno.
good lord... gassed up for 2.77 for 85 octane here in colorado oh... a few days agp

Don't forget guys, we do have a dedicated thread for prices themselves. ;)
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=62.0

We should just keep this thread to issues about the mild gas shortage.

JoePCool14

My parents were down in Indianapolis overnight yesterday. They filled up on a station on I-65 and they attendant asked them if they were heading south, and if they were... not to do so. Thankfully, we live in Chicagoland so that's not in that direction.

It will be interesting (not so much in a good way) to see what kind of ripple effect this has on everything. Like goods being shipped and other panic-buying, or the price of gasoline nationwide.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

D-Dey65

Quote from: Bruce on May 11, 2021, 09:15:54 PM
But the point I was making is that overreliance on a single mode is going to lead to situations like this...we didn't learn from the 1970s oil crisis at all.
Well, that was entirely manufactured by OPEC, as well as the price hikes beginning in the late-1990's, but you're right about overreliance on a single mode of transportation.

As for me I had to check the family pickup truck last night to see if that needed gas (thankfully it didn't).  But our lawn mower has some bad gas in it right now, that I can't siphon out because I have nothing I can store it in. I still have some good gas I can put in the tank once I get the bad gas out.

WillWeaverRVA

This happened in Richmond yesterday. Yes, that is a water tank. No, they're not putting water in it.

https://twitter.com/RVAdirt/status/1392327021380911108

Apart from the fact that the gasoline could dissolve the walls of the tank (depending on what it's made from), I sure hope they plan on using it in the next three months.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

JoePCool14

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 12, 2021, 08:21:05 AM
This happened in Richmond yesterday. Yes, that is a water tank. No, they're not putting water in it.

(Tweet snipped)

Apart from the fact that the gasoline could dissolve the walls of the tank (depending on what it's made from), I sure hope they plan on using it in the next three months.

Idiots. Literally the same logic as with the TP shortage last year. Except gasoline is actually an essential item! :banghead:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

1995hoo

My cousin and her husband are driving this week from Bonita Springs, Florida, back home to near Red Bank, New Jersey. I wonder how that'll go with finding gas.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 12, 2021, 08:45:47 AM
My cousin and her husband are driving this week from Bonita Springs, Florida, back home to near Red Bank, New Jersey. I wonder how that'll go with finding gas.

It appears that it's only a minority of stations that don't have gas... Something like 7.5%. And a few others are reported to only have premium. But overall, this is another media-hyped event causing people to panic.  Should be back to normal shortly.

Avalanchez71

How are they going to properly store that?  I bet their homeowner's policy will not cover a mishap with that set up.

ET21

Glad to see toilet paper 2.0 is gasoline this year. People are morons
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jmacswimmer

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 12, 2021, 08:57:29 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 12, 2021, 08:45:47 AM

It appears that it's only a minority of stations that don't have gas... Something like 7.5%. And a few others are reported to only have premium. But overall, this is another media-hyped event causing people to panic.  Should be back to normal shortly.

Only having premium is not a problem at all, other than costing some people a bit more. A car that specifies low-grade will run just fine on either mid-grade or premium, whereas the same is not necessarily true for vehicles specifying premium (although in most cases, you can use low-grade if necessary).

I've screwed up a few times and put premium in my RX-7 (it specifies 87) just out of habit because our other three cars all specify premium and I just automatically hit the "93" button. Not a big deal at all. I can waste more than the price difference on lost golf balls or similar.

oscar

Yeah, I was just out in California about a week ago, paid over $4 per gallon on two of my fillups (one in Kettleman City, about as close as I got to Fresno), and about $3.95/gallon on the other one. Welcome to California, huh?

I'll hit the Colonial problems as I head back home in the next few days (from North Dakota, where gas prices are still under $3/gallon). If by then it's just elevated prices, I'm over that already.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on May 11, 2021, 04:05:38 PM

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 11, 2021, 11:45:55 AM
Hope people are safe trying to look for gas.

Am I supposed to know what you're talking about?

Ah.  It seems from some of the comments that there's some sort of gas shortage somewhere.

As far as I can tell, nobody (including the OP) has posted a link to a news article.  Is there a "Threads That Lack Context" thread?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 10:21:39 AM

Ah.  It seems from some of the comments that there's some sort of gas shortage somewhere.

As far as I can tell, nobody (including the OP) has posted a link to a news article.  Is there a "Threads That Lack Context" thread?

To be fair, it is quite prevalent on a lot of different news sources already.  It's not a niche story.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/12/business/gas-shortage-colonial-pipeline/index.html

Chris

Henry

I'm optimistic for a return to normal by the end of the week, but it certainly won't be easy, especially if the panic buying continues and things get worse by then.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

kphoger

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 12, 2021, 10:23:15 AM

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 10:21:39 AM

To be fair, it is quite prevalent on a lot of different news sources already.  It's not a niche story.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/12/business/gas-shortage-colonial-pipeline/index.html

To be fair, I haven't paid attention to the news lately.

But I don't think I've ever seen a topic started about something in the news that didn't actually link to a news story.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.