News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

No gas!

Started by tolbs17, May 11, 2021, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

I wonder how many of the people lining up for gas are idling their vehicles while waiting on line (thus wasting gas) instead of turning them off. Not a crazy thought, either: I remember in the days after Hurricane Fran in 1996, when I was living in Durham, North Carolina, the news had some woman complaining that she ran out of gas while waiting on line.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on May 12, 2021, 08:21:05 AM
This happened in Richmond yesterday. Yes, that is a water tank. No, they're not putting water in it.

https://twitter.com/RVAdirt/status/1392327021380911108

Apart from the fact that the gasoline could dissolve the walls of the tank (depending on what it's made from), I sure hope they plan on using it in the next three months.

If you can afford to buy that much gas at one time, you can afford to buy a Tesla or vehicle that doesn't run on gas.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on May 12, 2021, 12:50:18 PM
If you can afford to buy that much gas at one time, you can afford to buy a Tesla or vehicle that doesn't run on gas.

It probably takes longer to get a new car than to get a tankful of gas.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2021, 12:53:31 PM
It probably takes longer to get a new car than to get a tankful of gas.

Yup.  And that tank of ethanol gas will last only a few weeks before it starts to gunk up your engines.  I switched over to non-ethanol gas for mowers and old cars as soon as the octane level for non-ethanol mid-grade dropped down to 89 (which used to be the standard for low-grade).

kphoger

I use non-ethanol gas in my lawn mower as well.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Avalanchez71

This happened in Richmond yesterday. Yes, that is a water tank. No, they're not putting water in it.

Apart from the fact that the gasoline could dissolve the walls of the tank (depending on what it's made from), I sure hope they plan on using it in the next three months.

This could be a purchase for a small business owner/farmer.  It may be for a small car dealer.  You can't assume that this is for a single family.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 12, 2021, 01:17:00 PM

This could be a purchase for a small business owner/farmer.  It may be for a small car dealer.  You can't assume that this is for a single family.
No.

They'll have it delivered.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

GaryV

Does Virginia have laws regulating containers for gasoline?

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: GaryV on May 12, 2021, 01:44:21 PM

I'm not sure.

Apparently there was a photo of someone in Fayetteville, NC doing the same thing. You can just buy these containers, so it doesn't seem like they're doing this for any reason other than hoarding.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Brandon

I sincerely hope someone stopped them before they got too far (but it doesn’t look like it).  According to DOT regulations, this is highly illegal.  I’d hate to see the fireball that develops if someone, heaven forbid, were  to light a match at the top of the container.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

LM117

Colonial restarted their pipeline an hour ago, but it's expected to take several days before things are back to normal.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/security/colonial-announces-pipeline-restart-says-normal-service-will-take-seve-rcna917
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hbelkins

I think that's actually a federal law.

I've seen pictures of people putting gas in plastic grocery bags, large garbage bags, garbage cans, Sterilite-type storage boxes, and just about any other type of unorthodox container you can imagine.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: hbelkins on May 12, 2021, 07:21:08 PM

I think that's actually a federal law.

I've seen pictures of people putting gas in plastic grocery bags, large garbage bags, garbage cans, Sterilite-type storage boxes, and just about any other type of unorthodox container you can imagine.

The original video of someone filling a grocery bag with gas is old, but sadly people are stupid and lots of them are actually doing this now.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

tolbs17

So that's between Friday and Sunday I'm sure.

Max Rockatansky

So have you all fought off the Toecutter Gang yet?

D-Dey65

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 12, 2021, 02:15:05 PM
https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1392482092823502849
I can't believe anyone has to be told to do that. It's like telling them not to drink dishwashing detergent.

Duke87

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 12, 2021, 10:32:12 AM
https://twitter.com/StanleyRoberts/status/1392294423401091072

Hey at least she double bagged it :-D

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 12, 2021, 01:17:00 PM

More likely it is someone who thinks they are going to resell it at an inflated price.

Of course it could also just be someone who's gotten paranoid with the possibility it may be months before they can reliably buy gas again and is grabbing as much as they can now because you can't play it too safe.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

LM117

Quote from: D-Dey65 on May 13, 2021, 01:10:52 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 12, 2021, 02:15:05 PM
https://twitter.com/USCPSC/status/1392482092823502849
I can't believe anyone has to be told to do that. It's like telling them not to drink dishwashing detergent.

Or not to drink bleach. :bigass:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

epzik8

There wasn't actually a gas shortage until people heard that there would possibly be one. See also Johnny Carson's toilet paper warning on the Tonight Show in 1973.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Avalanchez71

So what I like to know is how they are going to store the plastic bags of gasoline.  How are they going to get the gasoline out of the bag and into the vehicle?

jmacswimmer

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 13, 2021, 10:36:37 AM
So what I like to know is how they are going to store the plastic bags of gasoline.  How are they going to get the gasoline out of the bag and into the vehicle?
If I were a betting man, I'd say that none of them were thinking that far ahead when they were filling said bags :pan:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 13, 2021, 10:36:37 AM
How are they going to get the gasoline out of the bag and into the vehicle?

Seems pretty easy to me.

1.  Empty contents into a bucket.
2.  Insert funnel into gas tank tube.
3.  Pour contents down the funnel.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

From CNN:

Gas stations throughout the Southeast are running out of fuel as Americans continue to panic-buy following the Colonial Pipeline shutdown.

The supply crunch appears to be much worse in some major metro areas. Here's a look at some of the hardest-hit cities, according to GasBuddy, an app that tracks fuel demand, prices and outages.

Nearly three-quarters – 73% – of gas stations in Pensacola, Florida, are impacted.
About 72% of gas stations are reporting outages in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Outages are impacting 71% of the stations in metro Charlotte, North Carolina.
Nearly 60% of stations are impacted in Atlanta.

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.