News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Worst Posted US Route

Started by Avalanchez71, May 21, 2021, 02:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

What do you think is the worst posted US route?  What areas are not well posted?  I can tell you that in TN that TDOT has does a poor job getting US routes posted within the major cities.  They are posted well outside the cities. 

SkyPesos

Louisville does a bad job posting their US routes through downtown imo.

dlsterner

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 21, 2021, 02:26:09 PM
What do you think is the worst posted US route?  What areas are not well posted?  I can tell you that in TN that TDOT has does a poor job getting US routes posted within the major cities.  They are posted well outside the cities.
The US routes through Washington DC (1,29,50) are notoriously poorly posted, especially where they are split into one-way pairs.  Although as others have said, there probably aren't a lot of people who would use those as through routes - those drivers would likely take the Beltway instead.

Scott5114

Is this meant to be about the worst posted US route or the worst-posted US route?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 21, 2021, 07:11:34 PM
Is this meant to be about the worst posted US route or the worst-posted US route?

Assuming it's worst-posted, I'll go for US6 here in Colorado just for the multiple times it branches off of I-70 without being notified via BGS.

Chris

index

Assuming poor signage, US 74 through my neck of the woods had absolutely no shields signing it until some improvement projects began to complement the new bypass. It had been like that for years.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

oscar

Quote from: dlsterner on May 21, 2021, 07:04:33 PM
The US routes through Washington DC (1,29,50) are notoriously poorly posted, especially where they are split into one-way pairs.  Although as others have said, there probably aren't a lot of people who would use those as through routes - those drivers would likely take the Beltway instead.

That's true for many major Northeastern metro areas. US route signage in Richmond and Chattanooga is also a real mess.

US 1 in Connecticut can be hard to follow and clinch, just using route markers. The only thing making navigation manageable at all is that much of the route is called, and signed as, the Boston Post Road.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

zzcarp

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 21, 2021, 07:22:30 PM

Assuming it's worst-posted, I'll go for US6 here in Colorado just for the multiple times it branches off of I-70 without being notified via BGS.

Chris

While I agree US 6 takes the gold cookie for worst signed, US 85 should get an honorable mention, not just for where it disappears at I-25 in Denver and reappears on I-70, but for it leaving I-25 at an overpass with no exit at all at Venetucci Boulevard in south Colorado Springs. It's literally impossible to follow the AASHTO-approved route directly.
So many miles and so many roads

Scott5114

Quote from: zzcarp on May 21, 2021, 07:49:09 PM

Chris

While I agree US 6 takes the gold cookie for worst signed, US 85 should get an honorable mention, not just for where it disappears at I-25 in Denver and reappears on I-70, but for it leaving I-25 at an overpass with no exit at all at Venetucci Boulevard in south Colorado Springs. It's literally impossible to follow the AASHTO-approved route directly.

How the hell did that happen? I guess before Google Maps there was no easy way for AASHTO to check if what the state DOT was proposing actually reflects reality...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

Doesn't get much worse than US 466 existing between Atascadero and Shandon for 25 (1933-58) years but yet never field signed.

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 21, 2021, 08:54:25 PM

Chris

How the hell did that happen? I guess before Google Maps there was no easy way for AASHTO to check if what the state DOT was proposing actually reflects reality...

This was actually a very recent change - I want to say 2012? I think AASHTO just didn't give a shit - especially because they have also approved a hole in US 6 through Rifle within the past couple years.

roadman65

US 206 in Trenton, NJ qualifies.  It is city maintained so you won't get mileposts even to confirm your travel.

US 202 between Morris Plains, NJ and the NY State Line being its county maintained is not all that great.  There is one intersection in Oakland, NJ that the route turns but gets no shields to inform drivers of the turn.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

KCRoadFan

Quote from: oscar on May 21, 2021, 07:34:02 PM
Quote from: dlsterner on May 21, 2021, 07:04:33 PM

That's true for many major Northeastern metro areas. US route signage in Richmond and Chattanooga is also a real mess.

US 1 in Connecticut can be hard to follow and clinch, just using route markers. The only thing making navigation manageable at all is that much of the route is called, and signed as, the Boston Post Road.

A few years ago I clinched US 1 on Street View - from what I recall, it was VERY hard to follow it through downtown Providence, RI, relying solely on the route markers in the images. I had to check the map inset - many of the turns US 1 makes in that city weren't marked AT ALL.

wxfree

Quote from: US 89 on May 21, 2021, 10:40:28 PM

Chris

This was actually a very recent change - I want to say 2012? I think AASHTO just didn't give a shit - especially because they have also approved a hole in US 6 through Rifle within the past couple years.

Google Maps shows US 85 on I-25, which makes more sense than following the signs.  Going southbound on Venetucci Boulevard, there's a "South US 85" sign just before the overpass at I-25.  It suddenly becomes US 85.  From there, the routing works.  Going north, US 85 exits at Santa Fe Avenue.  US 85 is still signed on Las Vegas Street north of Academy Boulevard, which is the last opportunity to go back to I-25.  At I-25, the route jumps off the overpass down onto the freeway, and the road ahead stops being US 85.  It seems like there should at least be a warning sign for that maneuver.  I'd like to see what such a sign would look like.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

zachary_amaryllis

Chris

i would nominate 40 as well... and 36 through denver. might not be what the op meant, tho, since it involves concurrencies with 70/25/270.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: wxfree on May 22, 2021, 01:38:15 AM
Quote from: US 89 on May 21, 2021, 10:40:28 PM

Chris

Google Maps shows US 85 on I-25, which makes more sense than following the signs.  Going southbound on Venetucci Boulevard, there's a "South US 85" sign just before the overpass at I-25.  It suddenly becomes US 85.  From there, the routing works.  Going north, US 85 exits at Santa Fe Avenue.  US 85 is still signed on Las Vegas Street north of Academy Boulevard, which is the last opportunity to go back to I-25.  At I-25, the route jumps off the overpass down onto the freeway, and the road ahead stops being US 85.  It seems like there should at least be a warning sign for that maneuver.  I'd like to see what such a sign would look like.
And if you go by Wikipedia, US 85 goes I-25 - (exit 128) - Santa Fe Ave - CanAm Hwy - Venetucci Blvd - Lake Ave "CanAm Hwy" - Nevada Ave - (exit 148) - I-25. Not sure how accurate this is, but the first section of CanAm Hwy is signposted and addressed as US 85.
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

Avalanchez71

US 31 is not sign posted at all on I-65 in AL and TN.  US 31 runs concurrent with I-65 from Athens, AL to Ardmore, TN.  There is not one sign of US 31 there.  This dates back to US 31 being four lanes prior to I-65 in the area.

Flint1979

I can remember in Tennessee that US-25E is poorly posted. I think I missed a turn to stay on it at least one time.

roadman65

How about US 9 where Beeslys Point Bridge used to be.  Going SB it is signed well, but NB it is not.  In fact NJDOT never applied to AASHTO for a route change.  Signs along the Dead End on the South side of the Great Egg Harbor Bay still show US 9 as its official designation. 

At the light in Mamora where US 9 should turn right to reach the Parkway, there is no guide shield to inform you to turn, nor is there one at the Parkway Entrance nearby where US 9 should head north.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Rothman

Although I think US 6 wins, the first thing that came to mind was US 1 through NYC.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Ditto the comments about Tennessee cities and Louisville. Lexington used to not be great, but KYTC District 7 is getting better about sign installation downtown.

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 22, 2021, 10:11:35 AM
I can remember in Tennessee that US-25E is poorly posted. I think I missed a turn to stay on it at least one time.

I've always found the route to be well-signed, and I've traveled it many times. You're probably referring to New Tazewell, where southbound US 25E turns left to access its new alignment. Probably just a missing or knocked-down sign when you went through there.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

zzcarp

Quote from: TheGrassGuy on May 22, 2021, 08:21:43 AM
And if you go by Wikipedia, US 85 goes I-25 - (exit 128) - Santa Fe Ave - CanAm Hwy - Venetucci Blvd - Lake Ave "CanAm Hwy" - Nevada Ave - (exit 148) - I-25. Not sure how accurate this is, but the first section of CanAm Hwy is signposted and addressed as US 85.

That's how it was routed prior to the AASHTO request approved in 2009. That's when CDOT eliminated Nevada Street through downtown Colorado Springs as a state highway (between I-25 exits 140 and 148), putting US 85-87 (87 is entirely unsigned in the State yet was part of the application) on I-25 from north Colorado Springs  to the Venetucci Blvd Overpass. At the same time, Venetucci between I-25 and Lake Ave and Lake Ave between Venetucci and CO 115 were both removed from the state highway system, and CO 115 was designated north of Lake Ave along old US 85/87 to I-25.

Also, the map CDOT included in the application doesn't show enough detail to show the AASHTO committee that there wasn't an exit there. Apparently no further investigation was performed by the committee when they rubber-stamped the request.
So many miles and so many roads

NWI_Irish96

Not saying this qualifies it for the worst, but I was in Columbus last weekend and on WB US 40 there was no sign directing me to turn right from Main onto Drexel.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SkyPesos

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 22, 2021, 07:23:49 PM
Not saying this qualifies it for the worst, but I was in Columbus last weekend and on WB US 40 there was no sign directing me to turn right from Main onto Drexel.
Probably it got knocked down and haven't been replaced yet. There is one from a quick GSV check.

Mapmikey

Some other examples not yet mentioned...

US 1 Baltimore, Petersburg VA
US 13 Philadelphia
US 52-78 Charleston
US 9 NYC
US 11 Syracuse
US 460 ALT Norfolk
US 33-250 Richmond
US 17 Bus Fredericksburg
US 58-58 Bus-60 Virginia Beach

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.