News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Most Pathetic Way You Can Say You Have Traveled an Interstate

Started by MCRoads, May 21, 2021, 09:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

My only credit for I-16 is for getting on I-16 east from I-75 so I could snap a picture of an I-16 at the first surface road exit.  Then I kept cutting through GA on I-75, which is still the only time I've ever passed through or visited GA.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

epzik8

When my mom, two brothers and I were driving north on I-95 through Petersburg and Richmond, Virginia for the first time instead of taking I-295 around the area, we accidentally got into the lane that took us onto I-85 south. We turned around at the first exit to get back onto I-95. This is the only time I've been on any of I-85 to date.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

DandyDan

The only time I was ever on I-17 was because my friend got stuck in the wrong lane when we were trying to follow I-10 in Phoenix to get to the hotel we were going to stay at.

I suppose on that vacation, traveling the unsigned I-110 in El Paso, TX could be considered pathetic.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

sprjus4

Quote from: US 89 on May 25, 2021, 12:20:46 AM
Quote from: I-55 on May 24, 2021, 11:03:15 PM
The only standalone section of I-85 I've ever been on was the segment north of the I-75 split. My dad followed the GPS which told him to keep right to 75, but we were in the HOV lane where it was a left. Apparently the outdated GPS data is more reliable than the BGS's overhead. Since then I have given my dad verbal instructions as far as three miles in advance before major junctions (and am usually ignored until ~500 feet before the splits).

I've taken the wrong ramp at that split more than once - it's rather counterintuitive that going northbound, the interstate that goes further east should split to the left. And that confusion doesn't go away after you drive it a bunch, either.

I have never personally done the HOV lane northbound through there, but the issue with those is overhead signage basically doesn't tell you how the split works until you get right up to the exit. To stay on 75 northbound you essentially take a left exit to 85 and then another left exit back to 75. So I guess two wrongs make a right?
The reversible HOV lanes (now HO/T Express Lanes) on I-64 in Norfolk have a similar situation approaching the I-264 interchange... in the reversible lanes, the left lane splits off on a dedicated flyover to I-264 East, and the right lane stays on I-64 East. In the general purpose lanes though, you exit right to I-264, then stay straight to continue on I-64. I've never had any confusion with the setup, probably only because I've traveled through there probably at least a hundred times.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.8474594,-76.1948675,16.37z/data=!5m1!1e1

SSR_317

Quote from: DandyDan on May 25, 2021, 08:04:38 AM
The only time I was ever on I-17 was because my friend got stuck in the wrong lane when we were trying to follow I-10 in Phoenix to get to the hotel we were going to stay at.

Did you just stay on I-17 and loop back to I-10, or did your friend try to exit in between?

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 22, 2021, 05:30:34 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 22, 2021, 01:24:49 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on May 21, 2021, 11:07:01 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 21, 2021, 10:59:27 PM
But I knew one guy at work who lied about everything and tried to say that he drove on Interstate 22, before there was an interstate with the number 22.
Is there a possibility that he actually drove on I-78 and got the numbers mixed up with the concurrent US route numbered 22?

Or maybe he just drove on some random segment of US 22 and wasn't aware that it wasn't called an interstate. I wouldn't put that past a non-roadgeek.

No, he was pretty clearly lying, as he was a habitual one-upper who lied about literally everything for no reason (there was this ongoing months-long saga where he was supposedly joining the military and his boot camp date supposedly kept getting pushed back, then he missed work for a few days when he was supposed to be going, but he claimed he got on the wrong transport plane and went to the wrong base, so they pushed it back again, and so on and so forth). Another road-related gem from this guy was that water towers don't actually contain water, but instead contain the machinery (?) that controls all of the stoplights in the city, which he knew for a fact because his uncle who worked for the water department (??) in Moore showed it to him.

I have a fascination with people like this.  They lie about things that there is absolutely nothing to gain from lying.  I find it fascinating, and in some ways I am in awe that someone can be this disconnected from reality.  Like people that take up multiple parking spots in a parking lot.  As badly as it pisses me off, I still stand there looking at the car in admiration.  I admire the fact this person is completely detached from their conscious.  As important as it is to have a conscious, and love having one, I would for once would like to know what it's like to do something and not care at all what the consequences were and who I inconvenienced, and most importantly, to do it and completely forget what its like when something like that is done to me. 

Some of it is that little kid you knew when you were a kid that lied about everything.  They grow up physically, but mentally never leave that mentality and think they can convince anyone of anything.  They are the same as that kid you knew when you were a kid that was bigger than everyone else, and bullied everyone when they were younger because he could because he was bigger.  Then everyone grows up and he's now a 30 year-old over weight guy still walking around with the same swag as if he can bully anyone into doing what he wants.  Meanwhile everyone else sees him as just an overweight, out of shape guy that no one is scared of.  We aren't kids anymore.   

DandyDan

Quote from: SSR_317 on May 26, 2021, 01:29:29 PM

Did you just stay on I-17 and loop back to I-10, or did your friend try to exit in between?
We exited at 7th Street and eventually found our hotel downtown.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

SSR_317

Quote from: DandyDan on May 26, 2021, 03:34:41 PM
Quote from: SSR_317 on May 26, 2021, 01:29:29 PM

We exited at 7th Street and eventually found our hotel downtown.
Cool (which is an oxymoron most of the year in PHX)!

gr8daynegb

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 26, 2021, 01:53:45 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 22, 2021, 05:30:34 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 22, 2021, 01:24:49 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on May 21, 2021, 11:07:01 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 21, 2021, 10:59:27 PM
But I knew one guy at work who lied about everything and tried to say that he drove on Interstate 22, before there was an interstate with the number 22.
Is there a possibility that he actually drove on I-78 and got the numbers mixed up with the concurrent US route numbered 22?

Or maybe he just drove on some random segment of US 22 and wasn't aware that it wasn't called an interstate. I wouldn't put that past a non-roadgeek.

No, he was pretty clearly lying, as he was a habitual one-upper who lied about literally everything for no reason (there was this ongoing months-long saga where he was supposedly joining the military and his boot camp date supposedly kept getting pushed back, then he missed work for a few days when he was supposed to be going, but he claimed he got on the wrong transport plane and went to the wrong base, so they pushed it back again, and so on and so forth). Another road-related gem from this guy was that water towers don't actually contain water, but instead contain the machinery (?) that controls all of the stoplights in the city, which he knew for a fact because his uncle who worked for the water department (??) in Moore showed it to him.

I have a fascination with people like this.  They lie about things that there is absolutely nothing to gain from lying.  I find it fascinating, and in some ways I am in awe that someone can be this disconnected from reality.  Like people that take up multiple parking spots in a parking lot.  As badly as it pisses me off, I still stand there looking at the car in admiration.  I admire the fact this person is completely detached from their conscious.  As important as it is to have a conscious, and love having one, I would for once would like to know what it's like to do something and not care at all what the consequences were and who I inconvenienced, and most importantly, to do it and completely forget what its like when something like that is done to me. 

Some of it is that little kid you knew when you were a kid that lied about everything.  They grow up physically, but mentally never leave that mentality and think they can convince anyone of anything.  They are the same as that kid you knew when you were a kid that was bigger than everyone else, and bullied everyone when they were younger because he could because he was bigger.  Then everyone grows up and he's now a 30 year-old over weight guy still walking around with the same swag as if he can bully anyone into doing what he wants.  Meanwhile everyone else sees him as just an overweight, out of shape guy that no one is scared of.  We aren't kids anymore.

I think Peyton Manning was hosting SNL when they did a skit about people like that.
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.