News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstates that Barely enter a county or come close to but not enter

Started by roadman65, May 22, 2021, 10:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

In South Carolina http://www.dot.ga.gov/BuildSmart/Projects/Pages/I20SavannahRiver.aspx Interstate 20 comes real close to but does not enter Edgefield County while transiting the Palmetto State.

In Florida we have I-75 briefly entering DeSoto County near Port Charlotte for a very short stint.

In New Jersey I believe I-80 barely enters Sussex County between Morris and Warren Counties near Stanhope.

What others are out there?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

I know that I-75 barely misses Gladwin County in Michigan.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SkyPesos

When I was making my counties traveled map a couple of days ago, the one thing I noticed is that I-84 enters Hampden County in MA for just a couple hundred feet.

US 89

I-80 just barely misses Rich County, Utah. The county line parallels the interstate for several miles from the ghost town of Wahsatch to the Wyoming state line, but it is legally defined to follow the northern side of the Union Pacific Railroad's right-of-way. As a result, I-80 stays in Summit County all the way to Wyoming.

I-70 comes very close to Beaver County at its western end - indeed, some of the ramps at the trumpet interchange with I-15 do extend into Beaver County - but it has no centerline mileage south of the boundary.

TheHighwayMan3561

I-94 in Trempealeau County, WI. In long enough for one (delicious) exit to US 10 in Osseo.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

ahj2000

jp the roadgeek

I-84 in CT barely clips Windham County in the town of Ashford, but it is enough for one exit with CT 89 (Exit 72/Future 92).

Just before the CT border, the westbound lanes only of I-84 clip Hampden County while the eastern lanes remain in Worcester County.

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Sctvhound

I-95 barely touches Marlboro County in SC. Maybe 1/4 mile after the Great Pee Dee River bridge and that is it.

hobsini2

I have this ongoing argument with some that I-294's southbound lanes south of Cermak Rd to 31st St does go into DuPage County for a bit.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

LilianaUwU

How about I-684 (NY) clipping the corner of Connecticut?
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 22, 2021, 09:36:23 PM
I have this ongoing argument with some that I-294's southbound lanes south of Cermak Rd to 31st St does go into DuPage County for a bit.

You definitely have to be careful with the map you use to make these sorts of conclusions, but I do believe you are correct:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

US 89

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 22, 2021, 10:42:20 PM

You definitely have to be careful with the map you use to make these sorts of conclusions, but I do believe you are correct:

Interestingly, mob-rule claims I-294 does not enter DuPage County:

Quote6. Does I-294 go through DuPage County?
- No. But the off-ramp from southbound I-294 onto eastbound I-290 (Eisenhower Expy) does enter DuPage County.

I'm going to have to disagree with them on this one - based on that GIS map as well as their own interactive county line map.

mgk920

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on May 22, 2021, 10:42:20 PM

Or how I-86 barely enters Pennsylvania in the Waverly, NY/Sayre, PA area.

I-57 barely ticks the northwest corner of Clay County, IL between Effingham, IL and Mount Vernon, IL.

Mike

GaryV

I 80/90 misses St Joseph County, MI, by about 1/2 mile.   :-D

Avalanchez71

I-840 enters into Hickman County, TN barley.  There are no exits within the county.  There is just enough space in the county that one of the county constables could get on it and run radar.

epzik8

I-85 either barely enters or barely misses Lunenburg County, Virginia. I can't tell from Rand McNally atlases and Google Maps doesn't show county lines.

Edit: Per OpenStreetMap, it misses the county by less than 500 feet crossing from Mecklenburg into Brunswick County.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Brandon

The westbound lanes of I-80 enter Kendall County, Illinois for a little bit (2.5 miles) at Exit 122.  The eastbound lanes just barely clip the county's southeast corner (about 285 feet along the white dashed line).

Kendall County GIS:
https://maps.co.kendall.il.us/parcelviewer/
https://maps.co.kendall.il.us/pbzviewer/

Yet, there is no county sign eastbound on I-80 for Kendall County.
Eastbound streetview at the county line: https://goo.gl/maps/z6f5Q8WUJW3TQpih8
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Avalanchez71

I-40 barley enters into Carroll County not once but twice.  Both times it enters it is very brief.  There are no constables in Carroll County so you don't have to worry about that extra fuzz there.

CNGL-Leudimin

I-64 entering Fluvanna County, Virginia is a well known one for me, as there is a NWS county warning area boundary at the Western end of that short stint (I use those as non-political divisions of the USA xD).

I-70 comes within 3/4 of mile from Perry County, Ohio (and thus from NWS Charleston WV county warning area).

Also, while not an Interstate, I'm solving one mystery from the county mapping FAQ: US 41 does not enter Monroe County, Florida (FYI that's the county Key West is in) (Edit: It does per official sources indeed, OpenStreetMap's county lines are crap).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

McHenry  North of Kendall brushed by 90 just got it's only interchange at Illinois 23.
Both counties contradicted the idea that the freeways are the sprawl cause since at various times both have been among the fastest growing counties.

tdindy88

I-74 in southeastern Indiana sits practically on a tri-point between three counties at Exit 123 in St. Paul. More or less the highway passes from Shelby into Decatur County but for a tiny portion of the interstate's westbound lanes they clip the extreme southwest corner of Rush County right where the highway passes underneath the overpass for the county road that goes to St. Paul. It's very close as to whether the westbound lanes actually do clip the county but the eastbound lanes do miss it.

Great Lakes Roads

Hendricks County on I-65 in Indiana. Enters the county, but there is no interchange.

US 89

I-80 just barely enters Sierra and Napa Counties in California.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.