Interstates that Barely enter a county or come close to but not enter

Started by roadman65, May 22, 2021, 10:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibthebigd

KCRoadFan

In western Kansas, I-70 (on its diagonal stretch between Oakley and Colby) briefly passes through the northeast corner of Logan County, in between Gove County to the east and Thomas County to the north.

Roadgeekteen

I-495 (Delaware) either barely enters PA or just misses it.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jmacswimmer

A few from I-70:
-OH: Briefly clips Licking County from Muskingum County east of exit 142 (and then fully enters Licking County a mile and a half to the west)
-PA: Just misses Fayette County at the Monongahela River, going straight from Washington to Westmoreland (hard to tell for sure, but the EB on/off ramps at exit 41 might enter Fayette County)
-MD: Clips Carroll County for a mile and a half east of exit 68, and also just misses Montgomery County (a quad-point where Frederick, Montgomery, Howard, & Carroll all converge is just to the south of I-70 at Parr's Spring).  It also briefly enters the independent city of Baltimore :awesomeface:

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 23, 2021, 10:28:37 PM
I-495 (Delaware) either barely enters Delaware County PA or just misses it.
FTFY since this is the county thread and not the state thread  ;-)

The northbound lanes merge into I-95 well before the state line, but as for southbound...my understanding is the ramp beginning in PA is assigned a 4-digit inventory number by PennDOT, and I-495 officially begins once in DE.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hobsini2 on May 22, 2021, 09:36:23 PM
I have this ongoing argument with some that I-294's southbound lanes south of Cermak Rd to 31st St does go into DuPage County for a bit.

I think it's pretty clear that the point where the ramp from EB I-88 merges with I-294 SB is in DuPage County. Either that or there's a weird jog that doesn't show up on any map.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

gonealookin

I-80 enters Storey County, Nevada twice.  Near Washoe County milepost 35 the freeway crosses an old meander of the Truckee River (the current river flow remains south of the freeway) and is in Storey County for 0.208 mile.  Near Fernley, the freeway does cross the Truckee, leaving Washoe County for good and passing through a northeast sliver of Storey County for 0.398 mile before entering Lyon County.

US 89

Quote from: gonealookin on May 24, 2021, 05:35:40 PM
I-80 enters Storey County, Nevada twice.  Near Washoe County milepost 35 the freeway crosses an old meander of the Truckee River (the current river flow remains south of the freeway) and is in Storey County for 0.208 mile.  Near Fernley, the freeway does cross the Truckee, leaving Washoe County for good and passing through a northeast sliver of Storey County for 0.398 mile before entering Lyon County.

I remember learning about the old Truckee River meander in another thread on here. Google Maps gets that one wrong.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 23, 2021, 09:22:00 AM

Also, while not an Interstate, I'm solving one mystery from the county mapping FAQ: US 41 does not enter Monroe County, Florida (FYI that's the county Key West is in).

I disagree, and I have never been on that part of U.S. 41.  But the ground truth in this matter is online, as in the Monroe County, Florida Geographic Information System (not OSM and not Google Maps). As can be seen from this image, which is a screenshot from the Monroe County GIS, U.S. 41 does indeed cross Monroe County.

U.S. 41 looking south across Monroe County and toward Miami Dade County on GSV here.  I think the "T" painted on the right side of U.S. 41 southbound is a ground control point and marks the border between Collier County and Monroe County.

U.S. 41 looking north across Monroe County and toward Collier County here  The sign in the distance is says Collier County but I think it was installed in the wrong place (that sign might mark the border between Miami-Dade County and Monroe County).

On the northbound shoulder of U.S. 41 on the guardrail are words claiming this as the border between Collier and Miami-Dade Counties, which is not exactly correct either (assuming that the Monroe County GIS is correct, the tri-point is back from the road more and apparently on the other side of a small canal that runs parallel to U.S. 41 on the northbound side).

Monroe County GIS is online here.

EDIT: The Florida DOT "rowmap" for Collier County also appears to show U.S. 41 entering Monroe County for a short distance, screenshot image is here.

A screenshot of part of the Florida DOT "rowmap" for northwest Monroe County is here.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

US 89

Quote from: cpzilliacus on May 24, 2021, 09:12:40 PM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on May 23, 2021, 09:22:00 AM

Also, while not an Interstate, I'm solving one mystery from the county mapping FAQ: US 41 does not enter Monroe County, Florida (FYI that's the county Key West is in).

I disagree, and I have never been on that part of U.S. 41.  But the ground truth here is online, as in the Monroe County, Florida Geographic Information System (not OSM and not Google Maps). As can be seen from this image, which is a screenshot from the Monroe County GIS, U.S. 41 does indeed cross Monroe County.

U.S. 41 looking south across Monroe County and toward Miami Dade County on GSV here.  I think the "T" painted on the right side of U.S. 41 southbound marks the border between Collier County and Monroe County.

U.S. 41 looking north across Monroe County and toward Collier County here  The sign in the distance is says Collier County but I think it was installed in the wrong place (that sign might mark the border between Miami-Dade County and Monroe County).

On the northbound shoulder of U.S. 41 on the guardrail are words claiming this as the border between Collier and Miami-Dade Counties, which is not exactly correct.

As I've mentioned before on this forum, OSM is a terrible source for county lines. OSM county boundaries in many cases are only rough approximations.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: US 89 on May 24, 2021, 09:28:00 PM
As I've mentioned before on this forum, OSM is a terrible source for county lines. OSM county boundaries in many cases are only rough approximations.

The Goog, even with its user application for counties being shit because of not letting you zoom in to where any county line measurement would be useful, shows US 41 pretty clearly making contact with the Monroe County corner.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hbelkins

I-64 just misses Greenup County, Ky., near the KY 67 exit.

I-79 barely clips a county (I can never remember if it's Braxton or Gilmer) just south of entering Lewis County if you're traveling northbound. You can see the Lewis County sign in the distance as you cross the county line south of it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ran4sh

I-75 barely enters Crawford County GA, but it does enter and the crossings are complete with GDOT county line signs. In this Google Street View you can zoom in and see both a sign for entering the county, and a few hundred feet later (but also visible in that view), a sign for entering the next county: https://goo.gl/maps/sFbQGuT11G7AXtkY6
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ran4sh on May 25, 2021, 06:54:39 PM
I-75 barely enters Crawford County GA

It enters it quite thoroughly, in my view. It's Crawford County that barely exists there.  :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

bwana39

In Texas, I-35 barely tips into Atascosa County and has a small jaunt into next-door Medina County.  I-10 barely goes into Caldwell County. I-35 tips the southwest corner of Falls County. I-10 just tips Jeff Davis County.  I -30 crosses a less than five mile swath of Morris County.  I-40 runs almost straight down the county lines all the way across the panhandle.

I-30 narrowly misses Collin County (US-67's old routing (TX-66) goes into Collin County) I-20 junctions with I-10 and ends just before I-10 enters Jeff Davis County.

There are more. I just got tired of listing. I may come back to it!
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

US 89

Quote from: bwana39 on May 31, 2021, 11:33:04 AM
I-40 runs almost straight down the county lines all the way across the panhandle.

And just about every one of those crossings is signed. I just drove from Oklahoma to Amarillo on I-40 and quickly lost count of how many times I crossed the Gray-Donley line.

abqtraveler

I-69 in northern Indiana clips the northwestern corner of Wells County. The stretch is a couple of miles long and there are no interchanges in the county.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

Flint1979

Quote from: ran4sh on May 25, 2021, 06:54:39 PM
I-75 barely enters Crawford County GA, but it does enter and the crossings are complete with GDOT county line signs. In this Google Street View you can zoom in and see both a sign for entering the county, and a few hundred feet later (but also visible in that view), a sign for entering the next county: https://goo.gl/maps/sFbQGuT11G7AXtkY6
Thanks for mentioning this one. I have I-75 clinched through Georgia and didn't have it that Crawford County was clinched I could barely tell that I-75 even entered the county.

ethanhopkin14

I-10 nips the tip of Gillespie County, Texas, making it enter Kerr County twice. 

NWI_Irish96

I-74 WB enters Rush County, IN, but EB does not. The Rush-Decatur-Shelby tripoint is in the middle of the CR 800 E overpass.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on May 24, 2021, 09:55:17 PM
I-79 barely clips a county (I can never remember if it's Braxton or Gilmer) just south of entering Lewis County if you're traveling northbound. You can see the Lewis County sign in the distance as you cross the county line south of it.

It's Gilmer County.  The county seat of Glenville (and Glenville State College) is posted on Exit 79 for WV-5 at Burnsville in northern Braxton County. 

ukfan758

I-71 is in Trimble County, KY for like .5 to .6 miles and includes county line markers.

SGwithADD

Not sure if this counts, but I-88 in NY clips Otsego County for 2/10 of a mile near Unadilla, leaving and then re-entering Delaware County, only to "properly" enter Otsego County about 5 miles further eastbound: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3213537,-75.3093099,3a,75y,67.13h,87.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjqwCUG_YcvhyWH-2lYWlyA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

chrismarion100

I-94 is about 550 feet away from entering the SW corner of Chippewa County in Wisconsin

ibagli

Quote from: jmacswimmer on May 24, 2021, 01:58:23 PM
-PA: Just misses Fayette County at the Monongahela River, going straight from Washington to Westmoreland (hard to tell for sure, but the EB on/off ramps at exit 41 might enter Fayette County)

I was trying to figure this one out a while ago, and both the Fayette and Westmoreland county online GIS maps had Fayette County taking a chunk out of I-70 itself, but they disagreed as to how much. One had just a portion of the eastbound lanes, and the other had the entire eastbound lanes and part of the westbound.

dvferyance

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on May 23, 2021, 04:35:44 PM
Hendricks County on I-65 in Indiana. Enters the county, but there is no interchange.
Same with Jasper County in NW Indiana. Although if you were to exit at the famous Exit 220 for Fair Oaks Farms while the interchange itself is in Newton County Fair Oaks is in Jasper County.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.