News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

George Kemberling R.I.P.

Started by fredmcain, May 25, 2021, 10:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredmcain

Group,

I was very sad to learn yesterday that George Kemberling of Rogers, Arkansas passed away back in February already.  He was 62 years old and died from complications caused by kidney stones.

George was a very serious and passionate Route 66 fan & aficionado. George and I corresponded by mail and e-mail over the years on the subject of Route 66 and U.S. Numbered Highways in general.

George was an adamant supporter of actually "Recommissioning"  the official "66"  U.S. Route designation. His interest and desire to do this rubbed off on me.

George was tireless in his efforts and wrote many, many letters to AASHTO officials, the state highway departments and elected officials.  In one early response from an AASHTO official that George shared with me, he was told that "If there is a groundswell of support for recommissioning U.S. 66 we would be glad to broach the issue."

While the idea of recommissioning Route 66 hasn't really caught on, there has been a growing consensus in recent years for getting improved signage and markers for Route 66 so that the Route can be more easily navigated. This is happening in some parts of the Route 66 corridor today and has already happened in other areas. Just last year, the State of Oklahoma committed to putting up more Route 66 markers.

George also had a passionate interest is getting the U.S. Numbered Highway System preserved and expanded. He declared that our truly historic U.S. Route System should be preserved as a travel option "and not just paved over by Interstates" . (His words).

George and I wrote many letters back and forth and engaged in frequent telephone conversations. I considered him a personal friend. Sadly, I rather neglected writing to him during the course of the last year. Oh how I wish I could have spoken to him one more time!

George was also a helluva nice guy. He will be sorely missed.

Rest in peace, Dear Ol' Friend.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain,
Topeka, Indiana

Fred M. Cain
U.S. Route 66 Initiative
http://www.bringbackroute66.com/home.html

Big John

Roadgeekteen

RIP. Sounds like a very cool guy.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.