News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Crappiest Condition Freeway

Started by Avalanchez71, June 08, 2021, 03:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash_It

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 25, 2021, 11:35:21 PM
At least in NE Illinois (Chicago Area), I-55 through Will County, especially near Joliet, potholes and always hoping my tires survive a lane change.
*Dishonorable mention, I-290 between Manheim and Central Ave in Cook County, just the whole thing needs to be rebuilt. The pavement condition isn't terrible, yet isn't great either. However, the 1950s design and original construction of the overpasses, etc, just is not holding up well, and this honestly can't handle the traffic. I personally just don't like this expressway, so I admit my bias may play a role in my mentioning this.

There are no potholes in that stretch, they have all been patched and it will be resurfaced this year.

ET21

Quote from: Crash_It on July 27, 2021, 05:58:13 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on June 08, 2021, 09:17:24 PM
US-20 around Rockford has a lot of pavement issues. These issues extend west as well, including out to the two-lane section. Within the last couple years though, a portion around Freeport was resurfaced and is in great shape. Otherwise, the corridor is a mess.

I also would like to give an oh-so-special shoutout to the section of Palatine Rd/Willow Rd between Milwaukee Ave and the Tri-State. The fact that IDOT resurfaced Palatine from Milwaukee Ave all the way west past IL-53, but couldn't be bothered to properly fix this small section just boggles my mind.

It's getting resurfaced this year.

https://www.idotacts.com/acts/constructionUpdateReport.jsp;jsessionid=C6800F84777A751040BA954AB53FF62C

tells you everything you need to know.

Wrong district linked.

But yeah 20 has been slowly deteriorating. You got from IL-2 to the Buis-20 split on the west side of Rockford, the eastbound right lane is terrible just before Winnebago, plus large sections of the single lane areas from about Woodbine to Eleroy and much of the Elizabeth section.

They are doing patches though, like I-39 to IL-2 is very nice now, Freeport was done a couple years ago, and a large part of the single lane from the IL-84 split to about Galena
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

JoePCool14

Quote from: ET21 on July 27, 2021, 03:18:15 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on July 27, 2021, 05:58:13 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on June 08, 2021, 09:17:24 PM
US-20 around Rockford has a lot of pavement issues. These issues extend west as well, including out to the two-lane section. Within the last couple years though, a portion around Freeport was resurfaced and is in great shape. Otherwise, the corridor is a mess.

I also would like to give an oh-so-special shoutout to the section of Palatine Rd/Willow Rd between Milwaukee Ave and the Tri-State. The fact that IDOT resurfaced Palatine from Milwaukee Ave all the way west past IL-53, but couldn't be bothered to properly fix this small section just boggles my mind.

It's getting resurfaced this year.

https://www.idotacts.com/acts/constructionUpdateReport.jsp;jsessionid=C6800F84777A751040BA954AB53FF62C

tells you everything you need to know.

Wrong district linked.

But yeah 20 has been slowly deteriorating. You got from IL-2 to the Buis-20 split on the west side of Rockford, the eastbound right lane is terrible just before Winnebago, plus large sections of the single lane areas from about Woodbine to Eleroy and much of the Elizabeth section.

They are doing patches though, like I-39 to IL-2 is very nice now, Freeport was done a couple years ago, and a large part of the single lane from the IL-84 split to about Galena

At the rate IDOT is going, by the time they're finished, the Freeport bypass will be in shambles!  :-D

I'm teasing. At least they're making some improvements. The two-lane sections of 20 badly need proper shoulders.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

achilles765

Here in Houston there really is no competition for the freeway in the worst shape: it is definitely SH 225.  Three lanes, old pavement, bumpy and hasn't been updated or anything in decades. 
But, it doesn't head to any major destinations nor does it lead to any popular and developed suburbs.  Every other freeway leads to somewhere in demand: IH 10 heads to the hugely developed and populated Spring Branch, Memorial City, and Katy, then on to San Antonio to the west; to the east its the route to Louisiana and the Deep South.  IH 45 leads to Galveston and Nasa to the South, and to the north it passes through the heavily populated Spring and The Woodlands and then on to Dallas. IH 69/US 59 leads to Sugar Land, SW Houston, then Corpus Christi and the Valley to the south, and Kingwood, the airport, and northeast Texas. 
Even the State and US Highways lead somewhere.  290 goes to Cypress and on to Austin.  288 serves the med center and the suburbs in Brazoria County; 249 is very useful for people in the Willowbrook, Tomball, and Magnolia areas.  The three loops all serve business districts or suburbs, and even the tollways lead somewhere.  but 225 is the route into the heavy industry.  The towns out there are not among our most in demand.  No one really wants to live in Pasadena, La Porte, or Deer Park. Or Baytown.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Flint1979

I-75 is not in crappy condition the entire way between Big Beaver and US-10. Between the northern and southern terminus of I-475 it's pretty beat up but north of exit 125 it's fine with the only stretch that's in bad shape is the stretch between the northern and southern terminus of I-675 as well. It's like anytime they have a 3di in the area they neglect the parent 2di for some reason.

With this said both I-475 and I-675 have been or are under construction now. I-75 in between the two ends of both highways though isn't in good shape.

ET21

Well a small section of US-20 around Rockford can be taken off the list by next year

The Illinois Department of Transportation announced that weather permitting, repairs on US Bypass 20 between Falconer and Simpson roads in Rockford will begin Monday, Aug. 2. A lane closure in each direction will be utilized throughout the project.

The repairs are the start of a two-year project to improve this 6.5-mile section of road. Work this year includes patching of the road and the exit and entrance ramps at Montague and Meridian roads. This work is expected to be completed by mid-October.

Work will continue in 2022 to remove the road surface and replace it with a smooth layer of asphalt. William Charles Construction Co. LLC of Rockford is the contractor of the project.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Route66Fan on July 27, 2021, 04:44:51 AM
I remember I-35 in Southern Minnesota was pretty bad, when I was last up there on a trip in 2013. My uncle even remembered it being pretty bad, as well, back in the 1990's.

I think all of that has been rebuilt or repaved by now. I-90, though, still has some bad sections near Albert Lea.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Route66Fan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on August 02, 2021, 04:05:36 PM
Quote from: Route66Fan on July 27, 2021, 04:44:51 AM
I remember I-35 in Southern Minnesota was pretty bad, when I was last up there on a trip in 2013. My uncle even remembered it being pretty bad, as well, back in the 1990's.

I think all of that has been rebuilt or repaved by now. I-90, though, still has some bad sections near Albert Lea.
That's good.

SM-J737P

JoePCool14

Quote from: ET21 on August 02, 2021, 09:57:50 AM
Well a small section of US-20 around Rockford can be taken off the list by next year

The Illinois Department of Transportation announced that weather permitting, repairs on US Bypass 20 between Falconer and Simpson roads in Rockford will begin Monday, Aug. 2. A lane closure in each direction will be utilized throughout the project.

The repairs are the start of a two-year project to improve this 6.5-mile section of road. Work this year includes patching of the road and the exit and entrance ramps at Montague and Meridian roads. This work is expected to be completed by mid-October.

Work will continue in 2022 to remove the road surface and replace it with a smooth layer of asphalt. William Charles Construction Co. LLC of Rockford is the contractor of the project.

That's good. Hopefully IDOT will have the funds to continue westward away from Rockford. Those first few miles are still rough.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Flint1979

Actually I take back what I said about the quality of the highway between the two ends of I-675. That is in good shape as well and the Zilwaukee Bridge isn't in bad shape either despite it's construction accident when it was being built

Crash_It

Quote from: JoePCool14 on August 03, 2021, 08:28:30 AM
Quote from: ET21 on August 02, 2021, 09:57:50 AM

That's good. Hopefully IDOT will have the funds to continue westward away from Rockford. Those first few miles are still rough.

I just drove it. Does have some rough patches but nowhere near being the horrid condition that US12 around Lake Geneva is.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.