News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Crappiest Condition Freeway

Started by Avalanchez71, June 08, 2021, 03:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avalanchez71

What segment of what freeways out there are in crappy condition?  I mean issues such as pavement chunks and potholes.  Other deficiencies could have honorable mention.  Looking to see which one is really in despair.

sprjus4

JayhawkCO

I'll nominate I-25 on the New Mexico side of Raton Pass and I-80 in Wyoming between Rock Springs and Rawlins.

Chris

hbelkins

I keep hearing horror stories about I-65 between Nashville and the Kentucky state line.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

OCGuy81

Interstate 5 through all of Portland.

tigerwings

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 08, 2021, 03:51:46 PM
The state of Michigan.

I second that.

When I lived in Colorado it was I-270. Worst than a Michigan road.

Max Rockatansky

Bruce

I-5 in Seattle. Lots of old panels, expansion joints that occasionally pop up and need emergency repairs, hollow columns that will break in an earthquake...

Flint1979

Around here US-10 between Midland and Bay City is in bad condition in a few spots.

I-69 through Flint is in poor shape and some stretches between Lansing and Flint that haven't been repaved yet.

I-75 is in pretty good shape for the most part, some of the bad spots are getting worked on currently.

It just depends on what part of each freeway you are on, some of it is great and some of it is very bad.

ethanhopkin14

California, I-25 at Raton Pass and Massachusetts.

Scott5114

It's probably not as bad as some of these, but I was a little surprised at how much KDOT has let free I-35 go, since in times past their maintenance has been second to none.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

sprjus4

I-95 in South Carolina definitely had some rough areas when I drove through a few months ago. North Carolina and Georgia sides were notably in much better condition.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on June 08, 2021, 05:45:12 PM
I-5 in Seattle. Lots of old panels, expansion joints that occasionally pop up and need emergency repairs, hollow columns that will break in an earthquake...

I-5 in South Tacoma is also quite awful. Original pavement from when it opened in 1959, if I recall correctly. At least there aren't any seismic hazards.

Honestly, most of WA is pretty good, although I may still rank parts of Snoqualmie Pass (I-90) as worse than any urban freeway. Not WSDOT's fault of course. Damn freeze-thaw conditions.

US 89

Quote from: hbelkins on June 08, 2021, 04:38:48 PM
I keep hearing horror stories about I-65 between Nashville and the Kentucky state line.

I don't know about north of Nashville, but I-65 between the Alabama line and Nashville had a rather large amount of potholes when I drove it in March. Same with I-24 between Nashville and Chattanooga.

ctkatz

penna turnpike.  pick any segment.  this is actually worse due to the extravagant tolls you pay to drive the thing.

ctkatz

Quote from: hbelkins on June 08, 2021, 04:38:48 PM

I was last down that way 4 years ago and northbound at least wasn't bad but 4 years is a long time.

bassoon1986

For a while I would have said I-55 in Louisiana but it has since been repaved. I feel like I-10 through New Orleans has poor sections. Also I-20 through Jackson MS.

iPhone

NE2

I-40 across the Mississippi River.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Taking "crappiest" literally, this segment of A35 in the United Kingdom appears to be freeway.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

epzik8

MD 295 within the city of Baltimore. It's maintained by the Baltimore Department of Transportation. Many of the BGS are very old, and on one approaching the MD 648 exit, the MD 648 shield is barely recognizable. It also needed to be paved when I traveled it southbound in 2016. Once you get into Baltimore County, the State Highway Administration takes much better care of it. BDoT is also responsible for I-83 within the city limits, and it has similarly aging signs.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JoePCool14

US-20 around Rockford has a lot of pavement issues. These issues extend west as well, including out to the two-lane section. Within the last couple years though, a portion around Freeport was resurfaced and is in great shape. Otherwise, the corridor is a mess.

I also would like to give an oh-so-special shoutout to the section of Palatine Rd/Willow Rd between Milwaukee Ave and the Tri-State. The fact that IDOT resurfaced Palatine from Milwaukee Ave all the way west past IL-53, but couldn't be bothered to properly fix this small section just boggles my mind.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

TheHighwayMan3561

MN 62, still, especially east of Valley View Road. The I-35W rebuild excepted, it's still narrow, crumbling, twisty, substandard driving.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SkyPesos

For now, most of I-75 between the Ohio River and northern I-275 junction is crappy.

achilles765

Quote from: bassoon1986 on June 08, 2021, 08:08:24 PM
For a while I would have said I-55 in Louisiana but it has since been repaved. I feel like I-10 through New Orleans has poor sections. Also I-20 through Jackson MS.

iPhone

This is what I was just thinking. I had to go to Kentwood Louisiana for a funeral this past weekend and was amazed at how much better IH 55 looked than it did when I lived in Baton Rouge/ New Orleans.
and yes, IH 10 has some rough patches in NOLA.  IH 12 was also impressive between IH 10 and IH 55.  They seem to be widening it essentially the whole way. And the same thing seemed to be going on with IH 10 between Winnie and Lake Charles.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

Crown Victoria

Quote from: ctkatz on June 08, 2021, 07:01:47 PM
penna turnpike.  pick any segment.  this is actually worse due to the extravagant tolls you pay to drive the thing.

The high tolls notwithstanding, the PA Turnpike is actually not all that bad. The PTC does a halfway decent job maintaining the roadways and the reconstructed segments are in great condition.

Over on the PennDOT side of things...there are segments of I-78 that are absolutely awful, with the part between the Berks/Lehigh line and the US 22 split being the worst. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.