News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Statements/assertions that will live in infamy

Started by hbelkins, August 11, 2021, 10:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

So, what are some of the more outlandish statements, claims, or assertions (road-related) made here that will forever live on and be the subject of ridicule and frequently referred to in a negative connotation?

"I-70 doesn't serve Baltimore" seems to be the current flavor of the month.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

"EPD is the police department for The City of Eureka, watch out and be careful, because you will be arrested, this is against the law, be careful, and don't say anything"
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

I have a feeling "Illinois isn't flat"  is headed there.  Anything related to US Routes being "Federal Highways."   The Little Green Shrub and US Route 31. 

1995hoo

Also, perhaps, this one from one of the usual suspects who was trying to argue why it would be a good thing for roads in areas subject to winter weather to contain heating systems to melt snow and ice; he claimed this would be a benefit:

Quote from: kernals12 on January 31, 2021, 01:07:20 PM

Add significant amounts of heat to the environment, making winters milder

(I recognize "1" sort of mentioned this above; I just thought it would be useful to have the actual statement.)

jmacswimmer

"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Max Rockatansky

roadman65

Agentsteel with his assertion that another Roadman named user and Ethanman were the same human being. 
  I am comfortable not differentiating them until they demonstrate the ability to be differentiable.

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 21, 2011, 11:47:19 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 link=topic=5479.msg119933#msg119933 date=
That is a completely different user.
/quote]
it is two users who appear to have the same modus operandi.  I am comfortable not differentiating them until they demonstrate the ability to be differentiable.

as far as I can tell, they're both [redacted. Can we be a little less vituperative, please?] a fungible commodity.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JoePCool14

Post counts
Post quality
Virginia
tolbs17
Mary Hannah

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on August 11, 2021, 10:49:32 AM
I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 11, 2021, 11:00:24 AM
Anything related to US Routes being "Federal Highways."

These two appear to have stood the test of time.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

on_wisconsin

Time to put an Interstate through Yellowstone NP.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Dirt Roads

Quote from: hbelkins on August 11, 2021, 10:42:26 AM
"I-70 doesn't serve Baltimore" seems to be the current flavor of the month.

I'm so guilty here.  Once upon a time, I made an slightly snarky comment that I had never used I-70 to go to Baltimore, and that seemed to be the spark that set all of this off.  To be perfectly honest, I've used I-70 to leave Baltimore many times.  But I always came in from the south (I-95, I-895, I-395, US-1, Baltimore-Washington Parkway, MD-3, I-97 and even the Penn Line and Camden Line), oftentimes to go see the Orioles play.  Coming in on I-70 was always to avoid D.C. when heading to Philly and beyond.  :pan: :pan:

thspfc

There are quite a few from the NFL.

The Washington then-Redskins fired Jay Gruden in October 2019 after a 33-7 loss to the Patriots, the latest defeat in an abysmal 0-5 start to the season. In his press conference that day, GM Bruce Allen was asked about the "culture" of the team during the rough stretch. He replied, "You know, the culture is actually damn good . . . "

The months that followed revealed that the culture was not actually good . . . Trent Williams said that the team didn't care about his injury and cancer growth in his knee. Washington finished that season with a 3-13 record, after which Allen got fired.
15 female employees of the team came out with sexual harassment claims against the franchise in July 2020. Dwayne Haskins, the team's 2019 first round draft pick, never fit with the organization. He was benched in October 2020 after bragging about his stats in a game that they lost 31-17 to the Ravens. Haskins was cut in December 2020 when he broke COVID protocols by partying - after a 20-15 loss to the Seahawks.

So that line from Allen is now a meme.

Prior to an Eagles/Cowboys game in 2018, Eagles player Kamu Grugier-Hill said, "Look at Dallas' history. They always choke. So we'll go down there and make them choke." It was in fact the Eagles who did the choking, as this is how the game ended: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqHKqjyK0ew

Prior to the Browns/Steelers wild card round game in January, JuJu Smith-Schuster said "The Browns is the Browns", referencing the Browns' rich history of failure. Browns won the game.

Mapmikey

Quote from: on_wisconsin on August 11, 2021, 11:54:40 AM
Time to put an Interstate through Yellowstone NP.

To be fair, in 1969 Wyoming requested an interstate from the Idaho line east of Ashton to Moran Jct, then roughly along US 26 to Casper.  Not through YNP but pretty close, and even closer to Teton NP.

See pg. 59 here during a hearing about extending I-70 to San Francisco area.

Scott5114

Quote from: thspfc on August 11, 2021, 01:00:23 PM

The Washington then-Redskins fired Jay Gruden in October 2019 after a 33-7 loss to the Patriots, the latest defeat in an abysmal 0-5 start to the season. In his press conference that day, GM Bruce Allen was asked about the "culture" of the team during the rough stretch. He replied, "You know, the culture is actually damn good . . . "

What section did he post that in? I'm not coming up with anything on a search. Didn't know there were any NFL staff members on the forum, actually.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on August 11, 2021, 10:42:26 AM
here

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 11, 2021, 01:23:19 PM

Quote from: thspfc on August 11, 2021, 01:00:23 PM

What section did he post that in? I'm not coming up with anything on a search. Didn't know there were any NFL staff members on the forum, actually.

1.  We all know the search feature on this site kind of sucks.

2.  I think HB meant "Here" as in "here in the USA".
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

I took the inclusion of "road-related" to make "here" mean "here on this forum". That certainly seems to be the assumption of everyone else in the thread.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 11, 2021, 01:33:02 PM
I took the inclusion of "road-related" to make "here" mean "here on this forum". That certainly seems to be the assumption of everyone else in the thread.

I take the totality of context in the OP to be implying "here on this forum," as you say, even regardless of the words "road-related." The latter arguably narrows it even more because there can be any number of infamous or outrageous things said on the Off-Topic side that are not "road-related" but were clearly made "here on this forum." (Example I would like to forget: Someone for some inexplicable reason posted a thread about pulling back infants' foreskins. That was thankfully locked and deleted very quickly.)

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 11, 2021, 02:12:32 PM
(Example I would like to forget: Someone for some inexplicable reason posted a thread about pulling back infants' foreskins. That was thankfully locked and deleted very quickly.)

Was that one actually created? I only remember it mentioned in the "threads you'll never see" thread.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on August 11, 2021, 02:18:41 PM
(Example I would like to forget: Someone for some inexplicable reason posted a thread about pulling back infants' foreskins. That was thankfully locked and deleted very quickly.)

Was that one actually created? I only remember it mentioned in the "threads you'll never see" thread.

I might be mistaken. It could well be that I was so startled by it that I thought it was a thread, but I'm thankful that I don't remember the exact circumstances, if that makes any sense!

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on August 11, 2021, 01:25:19 PM
I think HB meant "Here" as in "here in the USA".

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 11, 2021, 01:33:02 PM

I take the totality of context in the OP to be implying "here on this forum," as you say, even regardless of the words "road-related."

Oh.  Oops.  My bad.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 11, 2021, 02:23:51 PM
Quote from: 1 on August 11, 2021, 02:18:41 PM

I might be mistaken. It could well be that I was so startled by it that I thought it was a thread, but I'm thankful that I don't remember the exact circumstances, if that makes any sense!

I read it and it got deleted before I had a chance to chime in.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.