News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Most Consecutive Entrances with No Exits (and vice versa)

Started by webny99, August 19, 2021, 07:12:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Most freeways that I can think of maintain a pretty good balance of entrances and exits, with most exits followed by an entrance aside from the odd half-diamond interchange or parclo (or other interchange configuration) with a 2-1 split.

But sometimes, things get a little quirky. I-390 south of Rochester is one example, where northbound at Exit 16 there are two exits followed by four consecutive entrances: Exits here followed by 1 2 3 4 entrances.

So what other examples are there? Is there anywhere that can beat four, or does this section of I-390 hold the official record?
And what about the reverse: most exits with no entrance? There's probably quite a few with three exits, but what about four, or more?

sprjus4

I-895 in Maryland.

Northbound has 6 consecutive entrances without any exits, starting at its southern terminus I-95, and not including that ramp itself.

Southbound has 7 consecutive exits without any entrances, starting just south of the tunnel.

SkyPesos

4 entrances without any exits between exits 1D (US 50 West) and 2 (Harrison Ave) on NB I-75 in Cincinnati.

6 entrances without any exits between exits 134 (I-93) and 131 (Cambridge St) on WB I-90 in Boston.

Dirt Roads

I remembered all those the feeders into the Lincoln Tunnel from the Manhattan side (at least 7 of them), but unfortunately there is a left-hand off-ramp to 39th Street that crosses the on-ramp from the same street. 

thspfc

US-51 NB in Wausau, WI has consecutive exits for WI-29 west, Sherman Street, and WI-52/Stewart Avenue without an entrance.

Great Lakes Roads

After the "Last Exit Before Toll Bridge" (Exit 1) off-ramp on I-65 SB, there are three consecutive entrance ramps heading SB towards the bridge in Jeffersonville, IN.

TheStranger

The setup for the Metro Manila Skyway really fits this thread (especially the original Stage 1 of this road, which was primarily designed to feed commuters into Makati in the mornings and to suburbs at night) -

From the Alabang interchange north to Bicutan, there are three northbound onramps and three southbound offramps.

Further north, the northbound direction is ultimately slated to have 3 offramps in a row with no corresponding northbound onramp (Sgt. Rivera, A. Bonifacio/EDSA, NLEX), of which the latter 2 are already operational.
Chris Sampang

webny99

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 19, 2021, 07:38:27 PM
I-895 in Maryland.

Northbound has 6 consecutive entrances without any exits, starting at its southern terminus I-95, and not including that ramp itself.

Southbound has 7 consecutive exits without any entrances, starting just south of the tunnel.

Wow, that's incredible. Going northbound you literally cannot get off anywhere between I-95 and the tunnel toll plaza. You're pretty much committed to the tunnel once you get off at I-895. I'm surprised I've never noticed that before.

There's something similar (but less extreme) going on with the southern end of I-295 in Maine. Southbound has three consecutive exits, with no entrances at all between US 1 and I-95. Northbound also has three straight entrances, but it's a little less impressive because there is an exit to the Turnpike approach.

Great Lakes Roads

Quote from: webny99 on August 20, 2021, 09:34:55 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on August 19, 2021, 07:38:27 PM
I-895 in Maryland.

Wow, that's incredible. Going northbound you literally cannot get off anywhere between I-95 and the tunnel toll plaza. You're pretty much committed to the tunnel once you get off at I-895. I'm surprised I've never noticed that before.

There's something similar (but less extreme) going on with the southern end of I-295 in Maine. Southbound has three consecutive exits, with no entrances at all between US 1 and I-95. Northbound also has three straight entrances, but it's a little less impressive because there is an exit to the Turnpike approach.

Oh, here's another one: I-90 (Chicago Skyway).

Once you get off of the Dan Ryan Expressway heading EB, there isn't another exit until you pass the toll plaza. 5 entrance ramps prior to the toll plaza and two exit ramps after the toll plaza.

It's reversed going the other way: once you pass exit 0 for Indianapolis Blvd on the Indiana Toll Road, there isn't another exit until you pass the toll plaza. 2 entrance ramps prior to the toll plaza and five exit ramps after the toll plaza.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.