News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unusual type-naming for limited access routes/freeways

Started by TheStranger, July 31, 2010, 02:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

How about part of I-55 near Bollingbrook, IL is still Joliet Road where US 66 was upgraded to freeway.  At least the maps show it as that.

Burlington, Street in Hamilton, Ontario is actually a freeway.
How about the QEW?  It does stand for Queen Elizabeth Way.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: Steve on January 28, 2012, 06:25:58 AM
Quote from: Henry on January 27, 2012, 11:34:30 AM
Quote from: goobnav on January 27, 2012, 08:36:40 AM
Gladys Spellman Parkway for MD 295 or better know as the Baltimore Washington Parkway.
Actually, "Parkway" is probably the most ambiguous designation out there; it has been used for both at-grade (Congress Parkway in Chicago) and limited-access roads (Garden State Parkway). There are many more examples for both types, so I'm not sure it would qualify as unusual.
I was just talking about this last night, to someone confused between "freeway," "parkway," or "highway."

One I forgot when I made my prior post was the peculiar use of the term "Parkway" in Pittsburgh to refer to a road that has no parkway-like qualities at all. I regard that one as a local idiosyncrasy.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheStranger

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 31, 2012, 09:31:32 AM

One I forgot when I made my prior post was the peculiar use of the term "Parkway" in Pittsburgh to refer to a road that has no parkway-like qualities at all. I regard that one as a local idiosyncrasy.

Other examples of this:

- Route 87 in San Jose is the Guadalupe Parkway, though trucks can use it
- Interstate 140 near Knoxville is the Pelissippi Parkway
- In that vein, Interstate 440 in Nashville was originally named the "440 Parkway" to attempt to appease local NIMBY types

Chris Sampang

Dr Frankenstein

Souligny Street in Montreal is actually a full freeway west of A-25.

jwolfer

In Jacksonville FL.  J Turner Butler Blvd or Butler Blvd(SR 202)... is a full freeway from I-95 east 13 miles to SR A1A in Jax Beach... the half mile from I95 west to US 1 is surface street but I think there are plans to upgrade to full freeway with service roads.  Many maps still show a non freeway west of SR 115.  It hasnt been taht way for nearly 20 years

roadman65

The section of US 1 & 9 in Elizabeth, NJ that is a freeway from North Avenue to the the Newark Border is technically part of Spring Street that is the name given to the arterial section south of North Avenue to the Elizabeth River Viaduct.  All the businesses along the southside US 1 & 9 (the local lanes on this freeways southbound lanes is not full freeway here) use Spring Street as a mailing address.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on February 01, 2012, 07:04:29 PM
The section of US 1 & 9 in Elizabeth, NJ that is a freeway from North Avenue to the the Newark Border is technically part of Spring Street that is the name given to the arterial section south of North Avenue to the Elizabeth River Viaduct.  All the businesses along the southside US 1 & 9 (the local lanes on this freeways southbound lanes is not full freeway here) use Spring Street as a mailing address.

It's technically Herbert Highway by the Straight Line Diagrams, but Elizabeth may consider it Spring St.

froggie

QuoteFroggie, correct me if i am wrong but i believe that I-94 east of Downtown St Paul at one point was called Hudson Rd.

Sorry for the delay...what became I-94 was labeled Hudson Rd when it was just part of US 12, but I don't believe I-94 proper was labeled as Hudson Rd.

Meanwhile, one I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet here in the DC area:  I-395 in Virginia is the Shirley Highway

roadman65

Isn't I-290 in New York called the Youngman Memorial Highway?

Sheryl Crowe

Kacie Jane

I feel like this is more of a frontage road situation.  Looking at Google maps (dangerous to trust, I know), the freeway (i.e. the inner express lanes) is unlabeled (and Steve is probably right on the Herbert Highway name), the southbound local lanes/frontage road is labeled Spring Street, and the northbound local lanes/frontage road is labeled Meadow Street.

Darkchylde

I-510 in Louisiana - called Paris Road before it was designated as an Interstate. It may still be designated that way, and some locals still call it Paris Road.

roadman65

Quote from: Steve on February 01, 2012, 07:18:50 PM

It's technically Herbert Highway by the Straight Line Diagrams, but Elizabeth may consider it Spring St.

You know there are some maps that refer to US 1 & 9 in Newark south of US 22 as Carnegie Avenue.  Also, US 22 in Hillside as Albert Street and US 46 in Little Falls as Pellington Boulevard.  Although, both US 22 and US 46 at both of these locations are not full freeways but Jersey freeways with closed medians and interchanges still with right in and right out side streets and driveways; I must say that these arteries are not at all called them by locals or on street signs.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on February 05, 2012, 09:53:37 AM
Quote from: Steve on February 01, 2012, 07:18:50 PM

You know there are some maps that refer to US 1 & 9 in Newark south of US 22 as Carnegie Avenue.  Also, US 22 in Hillside as Albert Street and US 46 in Little Falls as Pellington Boulevard.  Although, both US 22 and US 46 at both of these locations are not full freeways but Jersey freeways with closed medians and interchanges still with right in and right out side streets and driveways; I must say that these arteries are not at all called them by locals or on street signs.
In reality, I'm pretty certain all of these roads are just "Route whatever", so the only street name assigned would be whatever the SLD shows.

Brandon

Quote from: roadman65 on January 30, 2012, 09:41:25 PM
How about part of I-55 near Bollingbrook, IL is still Joliet Road where US 66 was upgraded to freeway.  At least the maps show it as that.

US-66 was upgraded to freeway from IL-129 to IL-59, and from IL-126 to Joliet Rd (Exit 276C).  The parts south and between were new 1956 freeway.  It joined the 1926 routing at Exit 268 (Joliet Rd), which was formerly just Joliet Rd.  This freeway later became I-55.  It has never been, and is not, even though some traffic reporters seem to think so, the Stevenson Expressway.  The Stevenson starts at Exit 276C and goes to LSD.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

mightyace

Quote from: TheStranger on January 31, 2012, 11:50:39 AM
- In that vein, Interstate 440 in Nashville was originally named the "440 Parkway" to attempt to appease local NIMBY types

As a semi-regular driver of I-440, I can tell you that the "Entering Four Forty Pkwy" signs are still on the highway.  Though, I've never heard anyone call it that.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

1995hoo

Quote from: froggie on February 01, 2012, 07:46:48 PM
QuoteFroggie, correct me if i am wrong but i believe that I-94 east of Downtown St Paul at one point was called Hudson Rd.

Sorry for the delay...what became I-94 was labeled Hudson Rd when it was just part of US 12, but I don't believe I-94 proper was labeled as Hudson Rd.

Meanwhile, one I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet here in the DC area:  I-395 in Virginia is the Shirley Highway

I didn't think I-395 is "unusual" in the sense of the names mentioned in the original post.

Come to think of it, wasn't a portion of the Beltway in Maryland (the twisty part in Montgomery County) originally formally designated as a "parkway" in order to justify a no-trucks restriction (prior to the road being widened)?

goobnav

In Raleigh, they call I-440 the Cliff Benson "Beltline" or Beltline for short.  As to why not Beltway, couldn't tell you on that one. 

I-540 is either referred to as 540 or the Outer Loop, its real name is the Western Wake Freeway.

US 64/264 is referred to as the Knightdale Bypass, some traffic reporters here call it just 264 even though 64 is cosigned with it.

Even though it is an extension of the Durham Freeway, NC 147 Toll, is signed as the Triangle Expressway and so will the Toll portion of NC 540 when opened to US 64 near Apex in August.
Life is a highway and I drive it all night long!

Henry

Quote from: goobnav on February 06, 2012, 10:47:38 AM
In Raleigh, they call I-440 the Cliff Benson "Beltline" or Beltline for short.  As to why not Beltway, couldn't tell you on that one.
Actually, it would be boring if every circumferential freeway was referred to as a "beltway", even though it is the correct term for that type. Which is why you have "The Perimeter" in Atlanta, the "Outerbelt" in Charlotte, the "Urban Loop" in Greensboro, etc.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ClarkE

OH 562 in Cincinnati is called Norwood Lateral Parkway on Google Maps and Norwood Lateral Expressway on Wikipedia, but locals and news media simply call it the Norwood Lateral.

ClarkE

Also I-71 at downtown Cincy is Fort Washington Way

1995hoo

Quote from: Henry on February 06, 2012, 12:20:33 PM
Quote from: goobnav on February 06, 2012, 10:47:38 AM
Actually, it would be boring if every circumferential freeway was referred to as a "beltway", even though it is the correct term for that type. Which is why you have "The Perimeter" in Atlanta, the "Outerbelt" in Charlotte, the "Urban Loop" in Greensboro, etc.

I always assumed the "Outerbelt" name was a reference to I-277 and I-77 functioning as sort of a "beltway" around down....errr, Uptown Charlotte.

I recall the then-under-construction I-540 formally being called the "Northern Wake Expressway" when I lived in Durham from 1995 to 1998, although the name "Outer Loop" was more common among local residents (since I grew up in the DC area, I always found that weird because I thought it should have been the "Outer Beltline," but people in the Triangle say "Inner Beltline" and "Outer Beltline" to refer to the two carriageways on the original Beltline). During those years the road only ran between I-40 and US-70, though, so it wasn't terribly relevant except as the place to drive when you wanted to see how fast your car would go.

I rather like the sound of the British term "Orbital Motorway." No special reason why. I just like the way it sounds.

roadman65

No ones even brought up an interesting one in Florida: Alligator Alley!

Sheryl Crowe

msubulldog

"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.