News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

"Connection Problems" Error

Started by 7/8, December 08, 2023, 03:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

Wouldn't be too surprised if it's bots scraping the forum for info; whether to feed the generative "AI"s or to for something else, I wouldn't know.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

GaryV

Just think of how some of the P13 posts could mess up AI for years to come ...

freebrickproductions

Quote from: GaryV on December 10, 2023, 08:10:14 PM

...are most of those even able to be viewable by guests?

On the other hand, as someone who's generally against how the "AIs" are looking to be used for...
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

hotdogPi

Interestingly, the connection problems have stopped, even though we still have the 1000 guests.

Are we getting ad revenue from them?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

rickmastfan67

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 10, 2023, 10:09:21 PM

If they're in the Fictional area, then no.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: 1 on December 11, 2023, 04:50:47 PM
Interestingly, the connection problems have stopped, even though we still have the 1000 guests.

Possibly, I'm not sure.  That would be a question for Alex.

vdeane

Quote from: 1 on December 11, 2023, 04:50:47 PM

I haven't seen the error today, though threads still load slow enough that when I have all the regional boards open and am queuing all the threads I want to read in separate tabs, I have enough time to queue a few up, click the "new " link for the one I want to view in that tab, realize I forgot one, queue that up, and scroll over to the tab with the next board before the page switches over.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Jim

Back to normal loading speeds for me this evening.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

davewiecking

Quote from: Jim on December 11, 2023, 08:52:25 PM
Back to normal loading speeds for me this evening.
Loading speed is good today. The 1000 guests are mostly just viewing the forum index, often several times a second.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: davewiecking on December 12, 2023, 10:32:01 AM
The 1000 guests are mostly just viewing the forum index, often several times a second.

There's a special reason for that. ;)

freebrickproductions

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 11, 2023, 08:41:39 PM

I know a large number of P13's posts are in Fictional, thanks to their merged Hell Thread™ of most of their ideas. However, I do also know P13 does have a good number of posts outside of Fictional, including (and especially, it seems) the Metrication thread in Off Topic.

(They/Them)

1995hoo

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 13, 2023, 11:53:16 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 11, 2023, 08:41:39 PM

I know a large number of P13's posts are in Fictional, thanks to their merged Hell Thread™ of most of their ideas. However, I do also know P13 does have a good number of posts outside of Fictional, including (and especially, it seems) the Metrication thread in Off Topic.

I suspect—I don't know because I'm not a moderator, but I suspect—that one of the main reasons the metrication thread wasn't merged is because it contains a poll and the merged thread also contains a poll. If I'm not mistaken, the software allows one poll per thread.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

No, it's because whenever I merged the threads, I left out threads where people had made meaningful posts that weren't direct responses to Poiponen. I figured it wasn't fair to other posters to have their posts swept into the freak sardine salad when they were merely trying to use the forum in the way it was intended, and I didn't want to kill any discussions that had managed to take root in a sidewalk-crack of a thread. (This is also why the sports thread about creating new games got left alone—at least one user besides Poiponen had put forth a good-faith attempt to create a game in it.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.