News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interesting interstate drives

Started by huskeroadgeek, September 13, 2010, 04:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskeroadgeek

Since we have a thread for some of the worst interstate drives, I thought I'd start one for some of the best or most interesting(mostly in terms of scenery). There are some obvious ones, such as I-70 W. of Denver that provide lots of mountain scenery. There are a couple others though that I find particularly scenic that don't get quite as much attention.

One is I-8 across California. This one is probably more interesting westbound than eastbound(I've been over it twice and both times were westbound.) From Yuma to W. of El Centro might not be thought of as particularly scenic as it's mostly open desert. But it has some interest in that it drops below sea level to the lowest point on an interstate highway and it provides an interesting contrast to what comes next. W. of El Centro where it starts ascending to the mountains is where it gets really interesting. You can see the ascent of the road ahead long before you actually start climbing. When you reach the mountains themselves you find very rugged mountain scenery that you may not expect if you've never been through the area before. I know when I went through it the first time it was a pleasant surprise for me-I didn't know the mountains E. of San Diego were so rugged even through their elevation isn't that high. Even though you are near a major city while going through the mountains, you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere. Then the mountains gradually give way to the foothills and the San Diego suburbs and eventually the city itself-which in my opinion has one of the most beautiful natural settings in the country.

Another interesting drive is much of I-90 from Gillette, WY to Spokane, WA. Again, this one is somewhat more interesting westbound than eastbound. Starting westbound from Gillette, it's fun to watch as the tall Bighorn Mountains to the west gradually appear on the horizon(it provides something to do as there is literally nothing in the 70 miles between Gillette and Buffalo). From the point at which the Bighorn Mountains become visible, you are almost constantly in or in view of mountains all the way westbound to Spokane. If the atmospheric conditions are right, the Beartooth Mountains are visible to the south of I-90 between Billings and Livingston(there is even a sign which points them out). Another interesting spot is when I-90 crosses over the Continental Divide at Homestake Pass and then descends into Butte-the whole city opens up below you as you make the descent. The portion of I-90 W. of Missoula along the Clark Fork River is particularly scenic as well.

agentsteel53

agreed on I-8.  It is, all around, a great drive, from Casa Grande to San Diego.

also, I rather like I-15 north of Idaho Falls into Montana.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

I-87 through the Adirondacks in upstate New York.

I-93 through the White Mountains in New Hampshire.

NY 17 (future I-86) through the Catskills in upstate New York.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

SSOWorld

I-70 West of Denver, but east of Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Bickendan

I-5 from Redding to Eugene. For me, that is one fun and pretty drive.
I-84 from Troutdale to Ontario. Columbia River Gorge, Emigrant Hill, the canyon approaching La Grande, cutting through Blue Mountains, the Snake River...

corco

I'm strangely fond of I-29 from Council Bluffs to Kansas City- I don't know why, I just really like it. I think it's because I usually hit it in the late afternoon and something about the way the light hits the trees and the hills- who knows.

I also like I-24 from Nashville to I-57. I've only been on that once, but it was a beautiful morning, I was in an open-top Jeep Wrangler, and everything seemed swell, so I have fond memories of it. The road may or may not actually be really cool.

After years of living in mountains, I just don't appreciate mountains like I used to- rolling hills are where it's at. Mountains, especially mountains in the west with sagebrush are in my mind representative of being really, really boring. My lack of mountain appreciation actually makes me sad- it's good to appreciate mountains.

Grzrd

I've always enjoyed I-24 from Chattanooga up the mountain to Monteagle and down the other side.

sandiaman

I-84  just east  of Portland, OR  is by far one of the  most  interesting interstate  "  entrances  to   a major metropolitan  area". This   highway  folllows  the Clolumbia  River  with  Multnomah  Falls  within sight of the   highway.  Another  scenic  interstate:  I-85  south  of Richmond, VA  with forests so thick you cannot see the oncoming  lanes.  This  impresses the   heck out of me since  I am from  a  desert  state.  I-40  near  Flagstaff  is  always  gorgeous  any time of the year.  I-25  between  Santa Fe  and Las Vegas  is another  interstate  with  wooded   medians.  I-10  in  Louisiana   is one I enjoy  with   the high  bridges  over the bayous  and rivers around  Lake  Charles  and  Baton Rouge.

Landshark

Quote from: sandiaman on September 13, 2010, 10:23:17 PM
  I-84  just east  of Portland, OR

That was the first that came to my mind.  I-84 between Portland and The Dalles is a great scenic stretch of interstate.   The view of Mt. Hood, the river, the transition between coastal forest and inland desert, the waterfalls, Beacon Rock, etc.

Grzrd

The long I-65 bridge just east of Mobile has always provided the definitive entrance to the Gulf Coast after the long, boring drive from Montgomery.

Alps

Ones I've done and thus can comment on:
I-10 west of Baton Rouge where it runs on a twin viaduct for 17 miles through the Atchafalaya Basin.  Some pretty impressive views, and unlike Alligator Alley, all for free.
I-95 through northern Maine, especially southbound with its view of Mt. Katahdin.
I second third also like I-84 in Oregon.

golden eagle

I-65 through northern Alabama and through Kentucky between Louisville and Elizabethtown
I-10 across Mobile Bay
I-5 through northern San Diego County
I-15 through northern San Diego
I-55 from Manchac, LA southward then eastward into New Orleans
I-20 at Six Flags Hill west of Atlanta (especially traveling east towards the city--you can see the downtown skyline when it's not cloudy or foggy)

bogdown

I-45 in South Dallas from I-20 to I-30 is one i like, all bridge, for, like, 7 miles, dallas skyline in the background, quite rural, even that close to downtown, trinity river floodplain below, great scenery and view of dallas. the only problem is: Its South fawking Dallas
No, nobody died

bugo

I-40 between Nashville and Knoxville.  I haven't been on it between Knoxville and US 74 so I can't comment on that stretch but I'm sure it's equally nice.

Scott5114

I'll agree with that and expand it to I-40 in Tennessee in general, as well as the adjoining stretch of I-40 in NC from the TN line to Asheville. Tennessee is pretty darn scenic throughout (though in different ways), and it comes to a climax as you cross into NC.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

corco

I can third that- I can't believe I forgot I-40 through the Smokies- that's a beautiful stretch of road

Quillz

It's short, but the entirely of I-580 (CA) has always provided a very quick change of scenery. You begin at the coast just north of San Fransisco, travel through the heavily populated East Bay cities and then before you know it, you're in the rolling hills and terrain east of the Bay Area and then you enter the flat and rural Central Valley. All of this packed into about 80 miles or so makes for an interesting drive.

mightyace

Even though it made a lot of folks "worst" drives, I-80 in PA is still one of my all time favorites.  With the wide, often tree-filled medians, it like taking a 65 mph stroll through Penn's woods.

Actually, I put any crossing of the Appalachians in there particularly:
I-24 Nashville to Chattanooga
I-40 Knoxville to Asheville
I-81 from I-40 to Binghamton, NY (haven't been farther north than that on I-80)
I-59 from I-24 to Gadsen
Pennsylvania Turnpike (love the road, hate the PTC)

Others:
I-65 in Kentucky
I-71 from I-265 to I-75 in Kentucky
Northbound on I-71/75 on the downhill near Covington, KY with the view of the Cincinnati skyline
I-94 from Illinois state line to Milwaukee - not for the scenery but for frontage roads and the funky exits that may be gone or disappearing
future I-99 (US 15) north of Williamsport
I-80 eastbound from Sacremento to Truckee beautiful scenery while rising over 7,000 feet in 50-60 miles.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

hbelkins

I-64 between I-77 and I-81 in West Virginia and Virginia.

I-68.

I-26/Future I-26 from Kingsport, Tenn. to Asheville, NC.

I-40 through the Pigeon River Gorge in Tennessee and North Carolina.

I-70 between Denver and Grand Junction (although when I was on that route, Glenwood Canyon was not yet built.)

I-77 from Princeton, WV to Wytheville, Va. and then south to the North Carolina border.

If not for traffic issues, I'd also list I-75 from Williamsburg, Ky. to Lake City, Tenn., and all of I-81 in Virginia. Very pretty scenery in both locations.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

vdeane

I-390 south of Mount Morris is also really nice - better southbound.  Northbound between Avon and the Thruway is also nice.

I-86 in the southern tier.

I also like I-87 (Thruway) near the Catskills.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: mightyace on September 14, 2010, 09:47:13 AM
Northbound on I-71/75 on the downhill near Covington, KY with the view of the Cincinnati skyline

Well... if the northbound I-71/75 decent into Cincinnati is going to be mentioned, I suppose it's my duty as a "yinzer" to go with I-376 (former 279) Eastbound at the end of the Ft. Pitt Tunnels entering downtown Pittsburgh..  It's certainly interesting.  Though ironically, there are hours of the day where the miles leading up to this "stretch" of highway could fit into that "worst interstate drives" category.

For a more rural flavor, I'll second that I-68 mention.  Not that it necessarily beats other mentions here, just that it's one I personally use more frequently.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

mightyace

I'll have to take your word for it.  I've only ever gone west through the Fort Pitt tunnels.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

TheStranger

Interstate 80 between Auburn and Reno - through the Donner Pass and North Tahoe areas - is as stunning as it can be tricky during a snowstorm.
Chris Sampang

SSOWorld

Quote from: Mr_Northside on September 14, 2010, 12:09:35 PM
Quote from: mightyace on September 14, 2010, 09:47:13 AM

Well... if the northbound I-71/75 decent into Cincinnati is going to be mentioned, I suppose it's my duty as a "yinzer" to go with I-376 (former 279) Eastbound at the end of the Ft. Pitt Tunnels entering downtown Pittsburgh..  It's certainly interesting.  Though ironically, there are hours of the day where the miles leading up to this "stretch" of highway could fit into that "worst interstate drives" category.
Best and worst.  Coming out of the tunnel and getting smashed in the face by a bridge/building combo.  I can speak for that.

Quote from: Mr_Northside on September 14, 2010, 12:09:35 PM
For a more rural flavor, I'll second that I-68 mention.  Not that it necessarily beats other mentions here, just that it's one I personally use more frequently.

I agree on that - not to mention one of the largest rock cuts anyone may have ever seen.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

LeftyJR

Quote from: mightyace on September 14, 2010, 12:25:22 PM
I'll have to take your word for it.  I've only ever gone west through the Fort Pitt tunnels.

You are missing out...the eastbound drive through the tunnel is breathtaking.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.