News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mukade

More on the funding issues when Major Moves money is spent, but both candidates for governor pledge support for I-69:

As Major Moves money runs out, candidates pledge continued support for I-69 (Evansville Coourier-Press)

JREwing78

Here's a radical idea: raise the gas tax! ;-)

codyg1985

Quote from: JREwing78 on May 29, 2012, 07:13:02 PM
Here's a radical idea: raise the gas tax! ;-)

A radical idea that, while I agree with you, would get you voted out of office.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

ShawnP

Indiana already has a top ten gas tax.

Yes higher than Wisconsin.

I would rather do away with Davis-Beacon and lower labor rates.

Lower labor rates equal more road projects and yes work.

mukade

Correct, because Indiana pays sales tax on fuel unlike many states. If gasoline dropped to $2.00 before taxes, Indiana would have lower taxes than Wisconsin.

So what Indiana probably could do is cap the sales tax per gallon and then increase the actual gasoline tax by 3 cents or so. As we will be getting a tax refund because of the budget surplus, I think they could cap it.

mgk920

Quote from: mukade on May 30, 2012, 09:03:06 PM
Correct, because Indiana pays sales tax on fuel unlike many states. If gasoline dropped to $2.00 before taxes, Indiana would have lower taxes than Wisconsin.

So what Indiana probably could do is cap the sales tax per gallon and then increase the actual gasoline tax by 3 cents or so. As we will be getting a tax refund because of the budget surplus, I think they could cap it.

Why not just earmark the sales tax revenue on fuel sales to INDOT?

Mike

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: ShawnP on May 30, 2012, 08:50:44 PM

Lower labor rates equal less qualified workers making poorer quality roads.
Of course I've yet to see any conservatives offer to take a paycut to help profitablity either.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

mukade

Quote from: mgk920 on May 30, 2012, 09:19:25 PM
Quote from: mukade on May 30, 2012, 09:03:06 PM

Why not just earmark the sales tax revenue on fuel sales to INDOT?

Mike

Money is fungible, but not every legislature or administration would have the commitment to spend money on roads. Also, wouldn't it be hard to predict how much sales tax you'd get because gasoline prices wouldn't be known? As the price of gas goes up, taxes also go up so it is more painful on us when oil prices are high. A cap would be best, IMO.

I think it would be easier to know how much the gas tax is. Also, I think the Indiana constitution dicates excess money beyond a certain amount must be refunded to the taxpayers.

BTW, I got my information on taxes from IndianaGasPrices.com so I hope that is right.

ShawnP

If Davis-Beacon doesn't go away.

Then the so called high quality workers will be sitting UNEMPLOYED as the state doesn't have money to pay them 40 bucks a hour.

My theory is lower the labor rate but increase the work load. Thus no reduction in pay but a increase of road projects.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: ShawnP on May 30, 2012, 10:21:15 PM
If Davis-Beacon doesn't go away.

Then the so called high quality workers will be sitting UNEMPLOYED as the state doesn't have money to pay them 40 bucks a hour.

My theory is lower the labor rate but increase the work load. Thus no reduction in pay but a increase of road projects.

There are as many highway construction workers making $40 a hour as you are.
Try again.

JREwing78

Michigan has the same issue - they have a 18 cent tax going straight to roads, but there's a 6% sales tax on it as well that goes straight to the general fund.

tdindy88

Found this this morning with a few pictures in the article about the bridges over the Patoka River on the Pike/Daviess county line. This is one area I really haven't seen under construction, but things are moving along over there.

http://dubois-pikecounty.14news.com/news/transportation/60307-i-69-patoka-river-bridge-project-progressing

mukade

mukade

A good article from the Evansville Courier and Press:

I-69 begins to take shape

Grzrd

Quote from: mukade on January 28, 2012, 10:38:34 PM
CARR also said Indiana is the only I-69 state going with a new terrain route. Besides the fact the fairly long SR 37 portion is not new terrain, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana do have significant new terrain routes. I am not sure about Texas. Kentucky's routing is mostly on existing roadways except around Henderson.

NPR's All Things Considered currently has a recording of a report about Indiana's I-69 extension on its webite.  The print version of the report currently has a correction of the distance from Bloomington to Indianapolis, correcting it to 40 miles from 90 miles.  The print version also contains the following statement:

When complete, Interstate 69 would pass through eight states and provide a direct route through the Midwest between Canada and Mexico.
Most of the states along the route are upgrading existing roads to interstate standards. Indiana, in contrast, must build almost 100 miles of entirely new road for its portion of the project.

I wonder where the NPR reporter obtained her underlying "facts" for the report?  :hmm:  Is another correction in order?

mukade

Quote from: Grzrd on June 21, 2012, 08:51:57 PM
Quote from: mukade on January 28, 2012, 10:38:34 PM
CARR also said Indiana is the only I-69 state going with a new terrain route. Besides the fact the fairly long SR 37 portion is not new terrain, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, and Louisiana do have significant new terrain routes. I am not sure about Texas. Kentucky's routing is mostly on existing roadways except around Henderson.

NPR's All Things Considered currently has a recording of a report about Indiana's I-69 extension on its webite.  The print version of the report currently has a correction of the distance from Bloomington to Indianapolis, correcting it to 40 miles from 90 miles.  The print version also contains the following statement:

When complete, Interstate 69 would pass through eight states and provide a direct route through the Midwest between Canada and Mexico.
Most of the states along the route are upgrading existing roads to interstate standards. Indiana, in contrast, must build almost 100 miles of entirely new road for its portion of the project.

I wonder where the NPR reporter obtained her underlying "facts" for the report?  :hmm:  Is another correction in order?

Most likely, the facts came from CARR. That is usually their source. In addition to that, another part is misleading:

QuoteIndiana Gov. Mitch Daniels has been fast-tracking construction. But when he leaves office in January, the road will be less than half-finished – and money for the project is running out.

Huh? So if they are talking about the new part in Indiana, over 90 miles will be under construction by September. Approximately 20 miles of I-164 which will be I-69 are complete and open to traffic. Approximately 20 miles of I-465 which will carry are complete and open to traffic. That adds up to 130 miles of the extension with 40 miles left (or 287 miles if you include current I-69). The remaining part from Bloomington to Indy will most likely be more expensive than the part being built now, and the Ohio River bridge will indeed be very expensive; but they need to define what is meant by "less than half finished".

mukade

mgk920

I don't know if anyone else has seen this yet, but Bing maps is showing another section of I-69 in Indiana in the ROW-clearance stage:

See:  http://binged.it/OWsE2r

This is about halfway between Bloomington and the current end of the construction at US 231 a short distance east of Elnora, IN.

Enjoy!

Mike

mukade

I would guess these were taken in September of last year as there is some color in the trees and the new US 231 road was opened late last year or early this year. Since last fall, a contract for a four mile stretch from US 231 east was also let which does not seem to be shown. That might be the one where clearing was done, but then construction was halted due to the bats nesting in the area. On July 11, the first contract into Monroe County (where Bloomington is) should be let.

This map shows the connector road from SR 45/SR 445 to I-69.

tdindy88

Not sure if you noticed it, but the latest signage plans for the interchange with Interstate 69 and SR 445 shows that the trumpet interchange is being changed to one with roundabouts at each end.

mukade

Where are those maps? On the INDOT online plans page?

That would be a good change, but you would think the official I-69 site would have the latest plans... or maybe not.

tdindy88

I found the diagram in the signage plans on the contracts page that you've shown me before. The contract number should be IR-33739, found in the Vincennes District in July 2012, but it shows that the interchange has two roundabouts that connect the new segment of SR 445 to I-69. And I do agree that it is a better change for that interchange than the trumpet that would have taken up more space for what would not be a well-traveled interchange.

Interestingly, there is no mention of SR 45 or 54 on the signage for Exit 104, which is SR 445. Both Exit 98 (SR 45) and 104 (SR 445) have no control cities, which is probably understandable given the rural nature of eastern Greene County, but I would have thought that maybe Bloomfield should be mentioned on southbound I-69 approaching SR 445, but that's just me. The signage plans also show that the next interchange (mentioned with a "Next Exit in XX miles sign) after Exit 104 is in ten miles, which means that the SR 37 interchange should be Exit 114. The letting for that segment of highway isn't until October so I would assume that those signs won't be avaliable to view until then.

mukade

Good catch on the plan changes. I agree that Bloomfield (and maybe Linton) should be on the SR 445 sign. I don't see why Cincinnati wouldn't be on the SR 45 sign either. BTW, are plans posted for the section that actually has the SR 45 interchange?

Like you said, it looks like the plans are posted less than a month before the letting so it will could be in late September (but likely October) before we see details of the SR 37 interchange.

Now if they could build the Fullerton Pike interchange and build the Vernal Pike, Tapp Rd., and Rockport Road overpasses on SR 37, that would put I-69 effectively through Bloomington. I know they want to rebuild the SR 45 and SR 48 interchanges, but I wish they would push those plans back in favor of building further north.

tdindy88

I thought the same about Cincinnati, unless they were worried about confusion with Cincinnati, Ohio, there is a sign on SR 37 at US 50 in Bedford that is for "that" Cincinnati. The SR 45 interchange plans are a bit earlier to the SR 445 interchange, March or April I believe. As for the interchange, it will be a simple diamond, which is all that is really needed for that location.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: ShawnP on May 30, 2012, 08:50:44 PM

Lower labor rates equal more poverty as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.