News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

Quote from: theline on November 19, 2012, 08:37:14 PM
Quote from: vtk on November 19, 2012, 07:37:17 PM
OSM now shows the highway complete and open to US 231.

Only parts of it, so far.  :-/

Beware of outdated slippy map tiles.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

theline

Quote from: vtk on November 19, 2012, 10:15:50 PM

I've not looked at OSM before. Do I need to do something to update it or is this something better aaked at that site?

vtk

Quote from: theline on November 19, 2012, 10:29:49 PM
Quote from: vtk on November 19, 2012, 10:15:50 PM

I've not looked at OSM before. Do I need to do something to update it or is this something better aaked at that site?

Just keep in mind that the map you see visually might not quite be up to date.  You might be able to provoke the site to re-render the tiles by using the refresh button on your browser (click the "view" tab once first so you're still looking at the same spot after the refresh) or even just panning and zooming a lot can lead to updating the tiles.

Of course, the road is only open to US 231.  The rest is still incomplete in reality.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

theline

^ Thanks vtk. Your tips led me to the right view. Some of the segments were showing only as a dashed line, which I presume means "under construction" or "planned." The key gives no explanation of the dashed line. After enough panning and zooming, I got the entire completed road to appear. The road from Crane to Bloomington showed as dashed line, which makes sense.

KEVIN_224

How long until we get a roadgeek video of somebody driving the new segment of I-69? :)

lamsalfl

The people at Google have been working all morning to show I-69 now that it be open.  Around 7:00 CT this morning all there was was a floating I-69 shield with no road.  Now there are some pieces in place around Oakland City.  I refresh maybe every half hour to see they've added more highway to the map. 

It shouldn't take them much time at all to show I-49 in Missouri when that opens next month since they just need to drop shields.

mukade

I drove the length of the road. Obviously, it is very nice, but here are some observations:

• First impression was that it almost felt retro with the narrow median and short grass
  • More PCCP than asphalt, but it went back and forth a lot
  • Traffic was heavier than I expected south of Washington
  • It makes no sense keeping I-164 designation - could be confusing to some
  • a lot of signs are still not up. For example, no overpasses have signs and the only river bridge sign I noticed was for the long Patoka River bridge.
  • No lighting or traffic lights at ramps exist.
  • There are a lot of smelly areas - hog farms, oil wells, fertilizer smells
  • Two state police cars seen in the first quarter mile at US 231 with one car stopped.
  • No I-69 trailblazers seen. First evidence was at the freeway
  • It looked like SR 45 at SR 445 was about ready to open in section 4
  • SR 45 overpass over I-69 is now open in section 4

tdindy88

I hope there are at least I-69 signs at the exits...are there? I also take it then that SR 45 is open, since I will likely take that route from Bloomington to US 231 in the morning. And speaking of signs, what signs ARE there?

Oh, and agreed that I-164 should go. If we are going to extend I-69 to Evansville, then let's take this seriously and "extend" I-69 to Evansville. Does someone have to lodge a protest to INDOT about this?

SW Indiana

Quote from: mukade on November 20, 2012, 07:25:17 PM

There definitely needs to be lighting at the US 50 Interchange. 

mukade

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 20, 2012, 07:52:23 PM
I hope there are at least I-69 signs at the exits...are there? I also take it then that SR 45 is open, since I will likely take that route from Bloomington to US 231 in the morning. And speaking of signs, what signs ARE there?

Oh, and agreed that I-164 should go. If we are going to extend I-69 to Evansville, then let's take this seriously and "extend" I-69 to Evansville. Does someone have to lodge a protest to INDOT about this?

The BGSes an I-69 shields are up. I saw no blue services signs, but then again, there are very few services.

SR 45 was still closed at SR 445, but it almost looked like it might open today. Lots of contractor trucks with lights flashing and guys in lime-green vests milling around at the barricades. Also, SR 445 detour signs were up and SR 45 detour signs were down. SR 445 is one dangerous road. It looks like it will be rebuilt.

mukade

Quote from: SW Indiana on November 20, 2012, 07:59:48 PM

There definitely needs to be lighting at the US 50 Interchange. 

Of course SR 68 interchange looks like a Christmas tree. It even stands out when seen from a plane.

Not sure whether lighting is planned or not.

silverback1065

I-164 will last until they build the bridge over the Ohio River.  That will be a very long time from now, but that's what I think is going to happen. 

tdindy88

So, just change all of I-164 into I-69 and route it as such, having it end at US 41. Even if it does last a while, most of that highway will be I-69 anyway, so all the guide signs and highway shields from say the SR 662 exit northward would never have to be changed again, leaving you only a few miles of highway that will need to be change when the time comes. That's still not a whole lot. Of course you could be very right, they'll leave it there just because.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on November 20, 2012, 09:53:55 PM
So, just change all of I-164 into I-69 and route it as such, having it end at US 41. Even if it does last a while, most of that highway will be I-69 anyway, so all the guide signs and highway shields from say the SR 662 exit northward would never have to be changed again, leaving you only a few miles of highway that will need to be change when the time comes. That's still not a whole lot. Of course you could be very right, they'll leave it there just because.

I agree with you, just change the whole thing, because when the bridge is built, the tiny east west part will be i-169.  Less things to change when the bridge is built. 

jnewkirk77

Judging from the TV news reports last night, there will be more signage to come.  Oakland City University is supposedly getting a BGS each way at the SR 64 exit, and blue services signs will be added as and where they're needed - the owner of the CountryMark station at the SR 68 & 57 junction told WFIE TV that he was getting one.  I feel fairly sure that lighting will be added later, too, although I'll have to check on that.

Oh, and for those who may have money riding on it (kidding!) - the first accident occurred around 9 Eastern time Monday night - about 4 hours after the road opened.  A motorcyclist from Washington, Ind. hit a deer near the 58 MM.  The guy wasn't injured, fortunately.

mukade

I agree, but I think exit numbers will actually stay the same. SR 68 is back to exit 22 on I-69.

mukade

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on November 20, 2012, 09:59:28 PM
Judging from the TV news reports last night, there will be more signage to come.  Oakland City University is supposedly getting a BGS each way at the SR 64 exit, and blue services signs will be added as and where they're needed - the owner of the CountryMark station at the SR 68 & 57 junction told WFIE TV that he was getting one. 

The Oakland City Univ/Patoka NWR sign is already up. One of the honorary bridge name signs was also up.

tdindy88

The SR 64 exit is signed Princeton and Huntingburg isn't it? I wonder why Oakland City itself was left off, since I had figured that would be the Oakland City exit. Huntingburg isn't exactly close to I-69, but at least the university is mentioned at least.

theline

Quote from: mukade on November 20, 2012, 10:00:30 PM

I agree, but I think exit numbers will actually stay the same. SR 68 is back to exit 22 on I-69.
It makes perfect sense to travelers to convert 164 to 69 all the way to 41. And shouldn't the city fathers of Evansville prefer to have a 2di running right into their city. The cost to the state for signage would be reasonable. Nearly the entire length is going to be I-69 some day anyway.

rickmastfan67

I drove the length of the road. Obviously, it is very nice, but here are some observations:

Are the exit numbers shown on Wikipedia and OSM correct?

mukade

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on November 20, 2012, 11:01:51 PM

Are the exit numbers shown on Wikipedia and OSM correct?

The exit numbers all look right based on what I remember.

INDOT plans show exit numbers for future SR 45, SR 445, and SR 37

treichard

The INDOT interchange book
http://www.in.gov/indot/div/interchange/i-164.htm
says that the I-64 & I-69 & I-164 interchange is Exit 20 instead of the previous Exit 21 number for I-164 and I-69.  Have the exit tabs been updated?
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

vdeane

Quote from: lamsalfl on November 20, 2012, 02:17:52 PM
The people at Google have been working all morning to show I-69 now that it be open.  Around 7:00 CT this morning all there was was a floating I-69 shield with no road.  Now there are some pieces in place around Oakland City.  I refresh maybe every half hour to see they've added more highway to the map. 

It shouldn't take them much time at all to show I-49 in Missouri when that opens next month since they just need to drop shields.
Why does it take Google so long?  They just need to change everything from "construction" to "freeway"; took OSM very little time!

Right now it only shows up on close zooms and has strange gaps.  The ICC had the zoom problem when it was built as well; it was only fixed this year.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

theline

Quote from: theline on November 16, 2012, 10:25:56 PM
My daughter will be returning to South Bend from Evansville for the holiday. I've suggested she use the new road, though I don't know if she will. She's not as adventurous as most of us geeks.   :angry:

My daughter made it back to South Bend from Evansville, but she didn't try I-69. I'm just as glad she didn't, since she was driving at night. The chance of breaking down in the middle of nowhere at night makes a dad worry, no matter how mature and self-sufficient she is.   :paranoid:

silverback1065

Is the US 50/150 interchange really a half diamond?  Or is Google still updating its map service?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.