News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vtk

QuoteWhile on the stand, Tom Tokarski was asked about a state statute which says it's illegal to interfere with state work. "If telling the truth is interfering with their work,"  he responded, "Then I guess we're guilty."

In a manner of speaking, pointing out some improper methods in the state's work does indeed interfere with the state's improper work.  But more to the point, trespassing in a construction zone is interfering with the state's work.  The Tokarskis' self-appointed capacity as environmental protection protocol watchdogs does not excuse them from that offense.  Had INDOT hired them for that purpose – and I suspect they'd be willing to do the job for free – the story would be different.  (There would probably be a site-safety training day, some hard hats, and a signing of liability waivers for starters...)
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

NE2

And when the goverbagger decides to ignore environmental protection...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Revive 755

EPA is extremely aggressive when it comes to erosion control inspections. If there really was/is a problem, there will be a press release in a little while announcing the problem and how much INDOT is getting fined.

theline

Of course, the Tokarskis are experts and know improper erosion control efforts when they see it.  :bigass:

seicer

Quote from: vtk on April 02, 2013, 07:24:30 PM
QuoteWhile on the stand, Tom Tokarski was asked about a state statute which says it's illegal to interfere with state work. "If telling the truth is interfering with their work,"  he responded, "Then I guess we're guilty."

In a manner of speaking, pointing out some improper methods in the state's work does indeed interfere with the state's improper work.  But more to the point, trespassing in a construction zone is interfering with the state's work.  The Tokarskis' self-appointed capacity as environmental protection protocol watchdogs does not excuse them from that offense.  Had INDOT hired them for that purpose – and I suspect they'd be willing to do the job for free – the story would be different.  (There would probably be a site-safety training day, some hard hats, and a signing of liability waivers for starters...)

Hardly. Watchdog groups are known all over for being the independent, third party voice that is needed to keep government and corporations in check.

Like with the Arkansas oil pipeline bust and subsequent environmental disaster. Exxon is busy keeping photographers and press at bay - they don't want others to see the destruction that has been caused.

It's about checks and balances. Do you think that INDOT will let an environmental organization onto a construction site? Hardly.

hbelkins

Not only will there be INDOT inspectors overseeing the job and telling the contractor to mitigate any damage or stop improper  actions, there will probably be someone from Indiana's version of what Kentucky calls the Division of Water riding herd on the contractor, as well.

This is just the Tokarskis being assholes.

Plus, given our experience at the Fort-to-Port meet when some of the attendees were chased off the work site by an unfriendly Indiana state trooper, I'd posit that Indiana is pretty proactive when it comes to keeping trespassers out of construction projects.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

theline

I just logged into AAroads and found a bit of irony in the banner ad that appeared at the top:

Some B-town residents are trying to make it harder for me to get there.  :banghead:

silverback1065

Quote from: theline on April 04, 2013, 02:35:10 PM
I just logged into AAroads and found a bit of irony in the banner ad that appeared at the top:

Some B-town residents are trying to make it harder for me to get there.  :banghead:

How is Bloomington, IN "The Cultural Pulse of the Midwest"?

tdindy88

I would have thought Chicago would be that. It is definently the Cultural Pulse of Monroe County however. It is a magazine quote and you can't always take those things in advertisements at face value.

theline

They had to come up with some slogan. It's a tough job. "More exciting than Jasper"?

ShawnP

How about "Where Bobby Knight chocked his players before it was cool"?

thefro

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2013/apr/04/indiana-senate-budget-includes-sliver-gov-pences-p/

QuoteThe Indiana Senate is advancing a new two-year, $30 billion budget that matches the education funding increases already approved by the House and sets extra money aside to eventually expand the state's highways.

QuoteThe Senate's budget increases roads funding by $112 million annually for the Indiana Department of Transportation and another $101 million for municipalities — as long as those municipalities have enacted wheel taxes.

"There does need to be skin in the game,"  Long said. "There is a method for helping yourself — the wheel tax. We think if the state invests, so should the locals."

It also sets aside $200 million per year to go into a new "Major Moves 2020"  fund. That fund would eventually be tapped to finish the 142-mile Interstate 69 extension, as well as add a third lane each way to Interstate 65 and Interstate 70 and build the "Indiana Commerce Connector,"  a proposed tolled loop around the southeast side of Indianapolis.

Here is the relevant slide from the budget summary that was released

ShawnP

Went up to Anderson this week on I-65 and a widening and rebuild is badly needed. It's in very poor shape and over traveled with tons of Semi's. Kentucky will have I-65 six lanes by 2020-22 time frame (the horrific crashes south of Elizabethtown have kicked them into gear). So if this plan goes thru then I-65 could six lanes from Chicago area to Tennesse/Kentucky border by 2025 (wow). Not a fan of the commerce connector as the local roads are plenty good to go back door into Anderson. Would rather spend that money on US-31 north of Indy and US-150 towards Bloomington.

trafficsignal

Quote from: thefro on April 05, 2013, 06:55:05 AM
http://www.courierpress.com/news/2013/apr/04/indiana-senate-budget-includes-sliver-gov-pences-p/

Here is the relevant slide from the budget summary that was released

All great improvements (other than the Commerce Connector, which seems like a sprawl-inducing waste).  Switch out the Commerce Connector for US 31 freeway upgrade work, and we've got a deal.

theline

tdindy88

I'll also concur, in fact, take out the Commerce Connector and finish I-69 from Martinsville to Indianapolis AND finish the US 31 corridor. An I-69 widening to Anderson or at least Exit 210 couldn't hurt either along with a widening of I-465 from the new interchange with I-69 up to I-70 to the east side, that should negate most of the need for the Commerce Connector, excpet for the apparent need for sprawl.

silverback1065

Quote from: ShawnP on April 04, 2013, 09:44:48 PM
How about "Where Bobby Knight chocked his players before it was cool"?

Wow, that one made me laugh!

silverback1065

What is the Indy commerce connector?

Anthony_JK

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 05, 2013, 10:55:43 PM

A proposed second outer bypass of Indy, that could possibly carry I-69 if Segment 5 is blocked. Mostly, though, a sprawl inducer.

hbelkins

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 05, 2013, 11:55:00 PM

A proposed second outer bypass of Indy, that could possibly carry I-69 if Segment 5 is blocked. Mostly, though, a road that will generate and encourage economic development.

FIFY.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on April 06, 2013, 08:09:38 PM
Mostly, though, a road that will generate and encourage more money in offshore banks.

FIFY.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Anthony_JK

Quote from: hbelkins on April 06, 2013, 08:09:38 PM

A proposed second outer bypass of Indy, that could possibly carry I-69 if Segment 5 is blocked. Mostly, though, a road that will generate and encourage economic development.

FIFY.

Yeah, right....for whom?  Cintra??

They need to finish I-69 to Indy and complete upgrading US 31 between Indy and South Bend before they even consider this outer loop boondoggle.

ShawnP

Glad everyone sees this Indianapolis "Commerce Connector" for the POS it is. Folks think because we like roads we want everyone built. Nope we want good functional, useful and in my case quality roads built (my pet peeve is under building needed roads.........hear me Missouri and Illinois on the I-70 bridge). Does anyone have a guess on the cost of upgrading US-31 north of Indianapolis to a full freeway after the 3 big projects are done? Looks like a doable project aka I-49 upgrade in Missouri but more expensive with ROW needs and more interchanges.

hbelkins

Sorry, but I still don't see the need for a full freeway-ization of US 31. Bypass places like Kokomo, yes, but the rest of the route is a perfectly good surface four-lane. This is in the same category of foolishness as the oft-mentioned desire to extend I-26 up US 23 into Virginia and Kentucky.

vtk

I wouldn't mind freeway conversion of 31 as a long-term goal, but there's no hurry aside from bypassing urban areas.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.