Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdindy88

Though it appears to have changed, at least according to both Google and my Monroe County highway map the name Whitehall Pike applied to the road to the west of SR 37 (or Curry Pike) and 3rd Street applied to the east. At least in the past, both SR 48 and Whitehall Pike were used interchangeably (similar to SR 46 and 3rd Street on the east side of town) but that name may have very well been dropped, or at least to outside of Bloomington. The highway does lead to the town of Whitehall, hence the name. Of course, with Section 5 work starting soon I see most of the signage around SR 37 in Bloomington changing, so perhaps an updated version of the street names will be put up to make it clear.

Another interesting one is the SR 45 interchange, signed as 2nd Street and Bloomfield Road. Unlike the SR 48 example, the road name on both sides of the interchange is Bloomfield Road and the 2nd Street designation doesn't begin until east of Adams Street about a mile into town east of SR 37. By all accounts, that one should just be Bloomfield Road.

I was down in Bloomington today, checking out the construction around SR 37 and the new I-69 shields and I went west on Tapp Road to what I thought was Curry Pike, nope it was Leonard Springs Road, which follows the path of a backwards L from SR 45 east to Fullerton Pike and then back north toward SR 45, where it then becomes Curry Pike. Oh, and did I mention that W Leonard Springs Road intersects with S Leonard Springs Road in the same area, but both are different roads. I don't think I'll ever fully understand the road names in B-Town no matter how many times I go there.

mukade

That Road is far from the most confusing street name in Bloomington, apparently.

Rick Powell

Quote from: mukade on April 14, 2013, 08:01:08 PM
That Road is far from the most confusing street name in Bloomington, apparently.

If That road was in New Orleans, it would be Dat Road.

mgk920

Quote from: Rick Powell on April 14, 2013, 08:10:46 PM

Naaaaah, it would be in da YooPee of Michigan!

:nod:

Mike

Rick Powell

Quote from: mgk920 on April 15, 2013, 11:39:58 AM

Naaaaah, it would be in da YooPee of Michigan!

:nod:

Mike

In der UP, wouldn't it be Dat Der Road?

Anthony_JK

No...in NOLA, it would be Who Dat Road. In Lafayette, though, it would probably be Dat Road. :biggrin: :biggrin: :pan:

KEVIN_224

And who engineered that road being built? Abbott and Costello? :)

(Who's on First got there by That Road? It doesn't make sense to me either. Oh well!)

Brandon

Or if it were in Cicero.  :spin:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Grzrd

Quote from: Anthony_JK on April 15, 2013, 02:13:07 PM
No...in NOLA, it would be Who Dat Road.

But on the West Bank it would probably be Where Yat Road .......

mukade

One of my colleagues who is in Ireland told me last year that on his next trip to Indiana, he wants to see That Road and Sherrill's Eat Here and Get Gas (yes, believe it or not, we really did have that conversation). So don't let anyone fool you when they say that Indiana doesn't have world class destinations.

Personally, I like the name of the town between Bloomington and Columbus called Gnaw Bone.

mukade

I-69 is shown in the 2014 Rand McNally Road Atlas. I documented the Indiana changes I found here.

US 41

Lol. I travel on That Road every week when I visit my grandparents in Blomington.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

tdindy88

Quote from: mukade on April 15, 2013, 09:21:45 PM
I-69 is shown in the 2014 Rand McNally Road Atlas. I documented the Indiana changes I found here.

In similar news, the new AAA map for Indiana does now mark I-69 in SW Indiana, but without any exit numbers AND with two additional exits in Pike County (one at SR 356 and the other south of Petersburg, the two dropped interchanges I believe.) Also the new exit numbers for I-69 north of Indy are shown. And while it's not noteworthy here, the entire SR 25 corridor from Lafayette to Logansport is now marked, as a two-lane highway. Score one for Rand McNally?

mukade

(the budget compromise) also increases spending on state and local roads by $400 million and invests another $400 million for major highway expansions over the biennium

Maybe that $400M will fund section 5.

UPDATE: Budget includes tax cut, more school and road funds (IBJ)

thefro

Quote from: mukade on April 25, 2013, 09:01:17 PM
(the budget compromise) also increases spending on state and local roads by $400 million and invests another $400 million for major highway expansions over the biennium

Maybe that $400M will fund section 5.

UPDATE: Budget includes tax cut, more school and road funds (IBJ)

That's going to the "Major Moves 2020" fund, but yes, a good portion of it will go towards I-69

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/19713020-537/lawmakers-how-about-5-cut-pence-ill-take-it.html

QuoteIn transportation, 1 percent of current sales tax will be reallocated to the motor vehicle highway fund, and state police and BMV funding will come through the state general fund.

Funds for local roads will be 47 percent from the motor vehicle highway fund, totaling about $200 million over two years, and will not be tied to whether a county passes a wheel tax. The remaining 5 percent will go to state highway projects.

$200 million over two years will be placed into a new Major Moves fund to pay for future projects such as completing Interstate 69 and expanding Interstate 65 and Interstate 70.

ShawnP

Sounds like a decent plan to fund major projects without too much bond debt.

thefro

http://washtimesherald.com/local/x2002139670/Lights-now-showing-near-I-69

Washington gets its lights at their exit this week

QuoteWASHINGTON – Those travelling on U.S. Route 50 near the Interstate 69 intersection will soon notice some big changes.

New traffic signals will soon be put to work near the off and on ramps to I-69. According to a press release by the Indiana Department of Transportation, crews have been installing the infrastructure and the poles for the new signals over the last week. The signals `are scheduled to go into effect after morning rush hour on Tuesday.

As traffic enters and exits I-69, pavement sensors will activiate the signals. There will be overhead lighting installed at the intersection of each ramp as well.

"As I-69 was opening, I learned that illumination at the access ramps was not part of the original construction,"  said Washington Mayor Joe Wellman.

INDOT is encouraging all drivers to pay special attention to the new signals and other motorists as they become familiar with the new traffic patterns.

"Last November my office issued a request to INDOT asking them to review how dark it is at night as drivers go through the intersections. They (INDOT) agreed and made the decision to add both lights and traffic signals to the area. We appreciate their cooperation on this and believe the improvements will enhance safety."

thefro

http://www.indianaeconomicdigest.net/main.asp?SectionID=31&SubSectionID=135&ArticleID=69765

QuoteState OKs private financing for I-69 between Bloomington and Martinsville

Kathleen McLaughlin, Indianapolis Business Journal

The Indiana Department of Transportation will press ahead with a request for proposals on Interstate 69 from Bloomington to Martinsville, in hopes that a public-private partnership will stretch limited state funds.

Language in the recently adopted state budget allows the Indiana Finance Authority to enter public-private partnerships for non-tolled freeway projects, which would include the final stages of I-69.

INDOT wants to involve the finance authority because its public-private partnership on the Ohio River bridges project helped knock design and construction costs from an estimated $988 million to $763 million, and the completion date moved from June 2017 to October 2016.

"The state and private sector was interested in repeating the success of the Ohio River bridges procurement as much as possible,"  INDOT spokesman Will Wingfield said. Indiana's portion of the joint project with Kentucky is to build the East End Crossing, connecting Interstate 265 in Indiana and Louisville.

Interstate 69 would be Indiana's first public-private partnership on a highway project that didn't involve toll money. Seventeen firms, including East End Crossing contractor Walsh Construction, expressed an interest last year in designing, building and financing Section 5. The Indiana Finance Authority will likely issue a request for qualifications to narrow the field in the next month, Wingfield said.

roadman65

Is there any mention of the other segment at the original southern terminus at I-465 NE of Indy?  Like maybe "TO I-65" signs at Exit 0?

Also, has the exit numbers been changed from I-465 and north to reflect its change to avoid duplication yet?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: roadman65 on May 12, 2013, 11:24:08 AM
Is there any mention of the other segment at the original southern terminus at I-465 NE of Indy?  Like maybe "TO I-65" signs at Exit 0?

Also, has the exit numbers been changed from I-465 and north to reflect its change to avoid duplication yet?

I was just through there last week, and while I cannot address any signage as you go south on I-69, I can report that an orange construction sign on the inner loop of I-465 as you approach I-69 has had the new exit numbers (starting at 200) pasted on top of the old sign.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

theline

Renumbering of I-69 in Northern Indiana happened well before the southern section opened. It was discussed at length way upthread. If you're curious look about here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4855.msg174008#msg174008

I think it was genius to just add 200 to the existing mileage. The mileage isn't exact by any reasonable route for the future finished freeway, but it's close. The advantages are not necessarily having to renumber again, and convenience in the conversion for those relying in old mapping. Only the most anal road geeks would care about a slight discrepancy.

thefro

Several new stories today on Section 5... sounds like they're going ahead with a public/private partnership for Phase 5 (private company will get paid for 35 years and will design, build, finance, operate and maintain the road).  We're going to know more on the potential bidders by July 30. The latest state budget had language letting INDOT do this, provided it isn't a toll road.  Gov. Pence is fully committed to completing the road.  Also the INDOT press release says Section 4 is now scheduled to open in phases in 2014 & 2015.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20130522/NEWS05/305220056/Indiana-Gov-Mike-Pence-says-he-committed-finishing-69-into-Indianapolis-toll-free?nclick_check=1

QuoteGov. Mike Pence said today Indiana must complete I-69 into Marion County, arguing that it will cement this state's identity as the "Crossroads of America."

And, he told reporters later, it will be done without imposing tolls.

"I want to be clear today. I am firmly committed to completing I-69 from Evansville to Indianapolis,"  Pence said to applause from a couple hundred contractors, designers and financial forms who were at an Indiana Government Center South forum on how to take part in the building of the next section of I-69 to be built.

That's a 21-mile section to be built from Bloomington to Martinsville.

But Pence said the job won't be done until the new interstate stretch is attached to I-465 in Marion County, allowing I-69 to finally stretch from Evansville in the south to the Michigan border north of Fort Wayne. While I-69 has long connected Indianapolis to northeastern Indiana, the southern leg remained just a dream until former Gov. Mitch Daniels launched it in his administration.

"The message here today is we're going to finish what we started,"  Pence told reporters. "And we're going to use all the resources that we have at our disposal to do that in a way that serves the interests of taxpayers and is efficient and effective and under budget."

Pence said there are no plans for tolls on the highway. "It's certainly not in our proposal or our thinking at this time... and we're not advocating for that."

He said completing I-69 is a higher priority to him than other transportation projects, including widening I-70 and building the so-called "commerce connector"  south of Marion County.

"My philosophy of roads is simply this,"  Pence said. "You have three priorities when it comes to infrastructure. Number one, you take care of what you got. Number two, you finish what you started. And number three, you plan for the future."

Will Wingfield, a spokesman for the Indiana Department of Transportation, said the Bloomington to Martinsville section is estimated to cost $394 million, with no estimate yet for the final leg into Marion County.

http://www.in.gov/activecalendar/EventList.aspx?view=EventDetails&eventidn=100996&information_id=181942&type=&syndicate=syndicate

QuotePrivate Firms Ready to Deliver I-69 Section 5

IFA, INDOT Outline P3 Delivery Model

INDIANAPOLIS — Governor Mike Pence today spoke before an audience of more than 200 contractors, designers and financial firms ready to deliver I-69 Section 5 from Bloomington to Martinsville.

The Indiana Finance Authority (IFA) and Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) hosted an Industry Forum to provide more information about procurement of a public-private partnership (P3) to design, build, finance, operate and maintain I-69 Section 5. The IFA, in coordination with INDOT, will release a Request for Qualifications later this week.

The IFA and INDOT plan to replicate the success of the East End Crossing of the Ohio River Bridges Project by using an availability payment model to deliver I-69 Section 5. The project will not involve tolling, but instead will leverage INDOT's funding appropriations to attract low-cost private sector finance. Other benefits of the P3 procurement include incentives for the private sector to lower construction costs and accelerate completion of the project.

Indiana is a national leader in leveraging private capital to deliver needed transportation projects sooner, and at the lowest possible cost to taxpayers. The new Interstate 69 between Evansville and Indianapolis is widely regarded as a key component to the future economic vitality of southwestern Indiana, and will connect an entire region with improved access to jobs, education and healthcare. The 142-mile I-69 corridor was divided into six independent sections with the Tier 1 Final Environmental Impact Study, which was approved by the Federal Highway Administration in March 2004.

The first 67 miles opened for business in November 2012 under budget and years ahead of schedule, and now saves motorists more than 30 minutes in travel time between Evansville and Crane. Construction is underway on all 27 miles of I-69 Section 4 between Crane and Bloomington, which is expected to open to traffic in phases during late 2014 and 2015.

I-69 Section 5 involves upgrading 21 miles of existing State Road 37 to interstate standards, including new interchanges and overpasses. The project will improve traffic safety, reduce existing and forecasted congestion and support economic development.

http://www.14news.com/story/22396840/indiana-presses-ahead-with-i-69s-next-section

QuoteINDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Indiana is pressing ahead with its search for a private company to finance and build a 21-mile section of the Interstate 69 extension that will eventually run from Evansville to Indianapolis.

State officials said Wednesday they'll ask interested companies to demonstrate they're capable of handling the project. A short list of qualified bidders would be released July 30.

The first half of the 142-mile highway opened last year and was built by contractors with state funding.

But the company that will build the 21-mile Bloomington-to-Martinsville segment by upgrading existing State Road 37 will sign a public-private deal under which it will arrange its own financing to design and build that stretch. Indiana would make payments to that firm for 35 years after the highway's completion.

thefro

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Indiana-presses-ahead-with-I-69-s-next-section-4539902.php

The AP has another story with a bit more detail up now

So part of Section 4 opening in late 2014, rest in late 2015.  I would guess that'd have to be segments going south from Bloomington as I believe Contract 2 is the one that got off to a late start (and won't be done until 2015).

List of qualified bidders for Section 5 to be announced July 30, proposals due by Jan 2014, state announces preferred contractor in Feb 2014, deal could be done by May 2014.  Hopefully INDOT doesn't include some of the Bloomington projects (Vernal Pike) in the P3, because they'll have trouble getting construction going in 2014 in Bloomington as planned if it takes until next May to get the P3 up and running.  That group would still have to subcontract out construction bids, etc which will take a few months I would think.

QuoteThe I-69 extension's first 67 miles between Evansville and the Crane area opened in November. A 27-mile stretch that will run from Crane to Bloomington is under construction in Greene and Monroe counties.

That segment is expected to be completed by late 2015, with its first portions opening in late 2014, said Jim Stark, INDOT's deputy commissioner for planning and project management.

While the contractors that built or are building I-69's first 94 miles received state funding for their work, the company that will build the Bloomington-to-Martinsville segment will sign a public-private deal under which it will arrange its own financing to design and build that stretch. The project's estimated construction costs range from $350 million to $500 million.

Indiana would make "milestone" payments to that company during the segment's construction and then quarterly payments for 35 years after its completion as the company maintains and operates the stretch, said Kendra York, Indiana's public finance director.
Indiana devoted about $700 million to I-69 from the $3.8 billion it collected by leasing the Indiana Toll Road to a private operator under former Gov. Mitch Daniels. But that money has already been spent or allocated, leaving the state to find a way to pay for the remainder of the highway.

For the Bloomington-to-Martinsville segment, Indiana has turned to the same public-private arrangement it reached last year with a group chosen to build a new $763 million Ohio River bridge between Indiana and Kentucky.

Eighteen companies responded to the state's request in December for parties interested in tackling the Bloomington-to-Martinsville project.

Stark said a short list of qualified bidders for the highway segment will be released July 30 and the state will ask them in October to submit their proposals by January 2014. The state's announcement of its preferred contractor for the job will be announced next February, he said.

The Indiana Finance Authority would then have to approve that deal, which could be completed by next May, Stark said.

mukade

Probably most interesting piece of news is what Pence said about Perry Twp. in Marion County (section 6) where that has been a lot of opposition to I-69. He said:

The plan now is to follow State Route 37, but many Perry Township residents feel that would tear up their neighborhoods too much and would prefer a shift to the west.

Pence said he'll listen to them.

"We're really open to a lot of discussion on all of that in terms of where that route would be most effective," he said. "There's other factors that ought to be considered in terms of long-range planning for Indiana...

Pence might consider alternatives for finishing northern leg of I-69 in Marion County (WRTV- channel 6)

This sort of uncertainty in the exact routing is what made me think the adding of 200 to the mile markers north of Indy was actually the best way.

If I-69 hits I-70 near the Indianapolis Airport, it could go through downtown, go up the west leg and north leg of I-465, or the current plan using the south and east legs.

tdindy88

Exactly what I was thinking, that way I-69 will finally be able to go through downtown (if it follows the I-70 route.) It may me think of possibly seeing references to Fort Wayne and Evansville at the North and South Split interchanges if such a route were followed and I-70 would only need to be widened a little bit to the southwest of Plainfield (which would probably be done anyway given the future plans for I-70 across the state.)

Living in Perry Township (toward the east around I-65) I am a little dismayed about this whole "tearing up neighborhoods" argument. SR 37 isn't exactly a unifying force across the western part of the township right now and personally feels like a barrier anyway. I won't argue that widening and conversion into an interstate might knock out a few houses near the overpasses and interchanges, but it's not like they'll be bulldozing thorugh entire subdivisions. Well, it's not like anyone cares about those in northern Morgan County who may feel the impact of a new terrain route north to I-70.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.